Insuring a 600cc SS without 5 years experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insuring a 600cc SS without 5 years experience

Insuring a 600cc SS without 5 years experience

Hey, Im 17 and have had a G2M2 license since September of 2006 and was looking at buying a 600cc supersport bike. I completed a rider training course as well at humber. I called Statefarm and got a ridiculously good quote of 88/month, until they told me that they don't insure anyone without 5 years of driving experience, and so my dreams have been crushed. But surely, SOME people on this forum have less than 5 years experience and still insure SS's- without going TOTALLY broke...??? There has to be some chance of getting a policy, no? Please, young guys, tell me what your paying and where from???

DeeCBR

Re: Insuring a 600cc SS without 5 years experience

Quote Originally Posted by 15000RPM+ View Post
    Hey, Im 17 and have had a G2M2 license since September of 2006 and was looking at buying a 600cc supersport bike. I completed a rider training course as well at humber. I called Statefarm and got a ridiculously good quote of 88/month, until they told me that they don't insure anyone without 5 years of driving experience, and so my dreams have been crushed. But surely, SOME people on this forum have less than 5 years experience and still insure SS's- without going TOTALLY broke...??? There has to be some chance of getting a policy, no? Please, young guys, tell me what your paying and where from???
    its just the bike that needs to be insured no? what my friend did is insure the bike under his dads name and he rides. its just that if something happens he himself wont be covred but who needs that when we got free healthcare.

I called State Farm and they were willing to insure me for any type of bike. They didn't ask me about my driving experience though. I'm 22 years old. Maybe it varies from agent to agent.

Give this guy a call: Jon (905 642 5400). He's my State Farm agent and he's really good.
    '08 ZX6R

DeeCBR

Quote Originally Posted by wedginator View Post
    I called State Farm and they were willing to insure me for any type of bike. They didn't ask me about my driving experience though. I'm 22 years old. Maybe it varies from agent to agent.

Give this guy a call: Jon (905 642 5400). He's my State Farm agent and he's really good.
    omg this is the guy that insured me!!!
    i pay like 3k though still for 20yr old m2 2006 600rr full coverage 0 deduct its not bad.

I Have Found Insurance!!!

I Have Found Insurance!!!
    well who did you go with ??

Banned

its just that if something happens he himself wont be covred but who needs that when we got free healthcare.
    wrong. anyone who rides the bike is covered., only the policy holder has to maske the claim.

DeeCBR

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    wrong. anyone who rides the bike is covered., only the policy holder has to maske the claim.
    wait so ur saying.
    i can insure the bike under my uncle's name and ride it?

Banned

yes and no.
    yes your uncle could technically insure a bike that is registered to him, and you could 'borrow' it from him from time to time. but there could be problems if insurance decides to investigate and finds out that you are the primary user. im not sure of the ramifications. your uncle has to hold an m-class license to insure it in his own name.

no because to insure a bike you must have a valid m-class license. as for family riders insurance, it is only valid for immediate family living under the same permanent mailing address (ie to allow for students living away from home for school)

hey im 17 also and drive a 600 ss u just have to call around tho ur not going to be able to find anything under 3000+ i got my inc when i was 16 so im hoping it will drop a bit next year as long as a stay ticket and claim free

Ninja888

What is Jon's full name? And which sf location is he at? Couldn't find him on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja888 View Post
    What is Jon's full name? And which sf location is he at? Couldn't find him on their website.
    His full name is Jon St. Denis. Here he is on the website: http://www.statefarm.com/apps/agentL...st=60&ofc=2314
    '08 ZX6R

Update: So someone from Jon St.Denis' office gives me a good quote, I ask to make sure hes 100% sure that they will be able to insure me, he says yes, so I tell him to ensure that my quote is saved as Im gonna be buying the bike I had quoted.....and all is well.... until....

I actually buy the bike, call up Jon's office to hook-up my policy. An hour later I get a call saying that they can't insure me, for the same reasons as the last StateFarm agent I called (Need to have a G license for 5 years..) so now I am essentially f*ck*d- with a bike I basicly can't insure (2006 R6 Raven, 17 years old, G2M2).. A**HOLES!

P.S.- help much appreciated obv., other SFarm agents, jerry kaspard maybe? ideas? thanks guys.

these are the guys that insure me... Tribute: 905-681-6977. Ask to talk to Mike, hes one of the owners. He'll talk a LOT to you lol, and tell you stupid stories about how when he was young he got a bike and all this ****. 3000 is how much you'll be paying for it. Good luck.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you; I'm 19 and I'm trying to find a company that's willing to insure me; The only two quotes I've gotten was, from sullivan blair; $2000 a year, any bike, and riders plus, which didn't even give me a quote bc you have to be at least 25 to subscribe to their plans...I was kinda hoping to go state farm too, but I've heard two bad things already...the first is what you're saying, you need to have a G for 5 years, and the second is that, you need to be 21 or else they won't insure you...

I know for a fact there's other companies out there that are willing to insure people under 25, but I haven't really taken the time to call around

why not hop on with blair? I doubt youll find anything less that $2000... what company is he with ?

the reason I wanna find another insurance company is because, sullivan blair is currently responsible for my car insurance, and so I wanted to take the car off from say, march to october, so I wont have to pay a ****in **** load of money for the whole year seeing as how you can't do 6 months on and 6 months off with a bike anymore...so the car company told me that if I find another bike insurance place, they'll take out the car....they don't wanna do it themselves because they said it's too much paper work lmao

P.S.- help much appreciated obv., other SFarm agents, jerry kaspard maybe? ideas? thanks guys.
    try "high risk drivers" insurance. they will insure anybody with money...
    they're pretty much your last luck unless you can somehow transfer the bike tosomeone in your family with 5 or more years G experience and just be the second rider and i forget to mention they must have an M license as well....
    Silly civic. Wings are for airplanes.

that i sort of right, in ontario with motorcycles, the person with the least experience or highest risk, ie you, has to be listed as the primary driver of the bike. as rukus said earlier, you could 'borrow' the bike, but your name couldnt be on the policy as a second driver, you would satisfy the cops, but you wouldnt be covered in an accident. (this may differ between companies, but all the ones ive asked have this annoying policy)

with cars this is not true, i tried the same idea when i was your age. i tried to insure an r6 and was quoted $9000 by everyone, no tix, no accidents. im now 22, with 6 years of car and bike experience and i get $3500 clean record. so i turned to the race track...