Need An OVERHAUL...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need An OVERHAUL...

Need An OVERHAUL...

hey guys and gals...i was just wondering if anyone knew of a shop that has decent prices in fixing my 87 YAMI RZ350...i'm talking about piston rings, adjustment and cleaning of carbs, anything and everything...i mean a whole overhaul...i would like to get everything back into spec maybe even better than spec...i want the bike tuned also...i spoke with the Motorcycle Superstore located on River St....they said that they can do the work...just don't know how good they are...also...how much do u think something like this may cost...maybe i should just get a whole new bike...any information u people can provide would be greatly appreciated...

Re: Need An OVERHAUL...

try roseytoes in the west end...
    ted is usually good with prices and nice guy too..
    Silly civic. Wings are for airplanes.

I can do it for you. As for costs that really depends on how built you wanna go and what condition what you have is. Give me a shout if I can help lighttwins@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    I can do it for you. As for costs that really depends on how built you wanna go and what condition what you have is. Give me a shout if I can help lighttwins@yahoo.com
    what can u do...how can i tell what work i need done...i'm a car mechanic, not a bike mechanic...and plus, i really don't want to work on my own bike...if i can avoid it then i'll avoid it...my bike runs...i've been riding it ever since august when i got it...i just want to make sure that it preforms how it did when the bike first came out...hopefully perform even better...nothing too crazy though...i am saving up for another bike...but if i don't get my new bike next season then i'm going to be riding the RZ350...and i just want it to be safe...i have been told that i'm burning a lot of fuel...or my oil pumps needs adjustment...i don't know...i want someone to take a look at it...

U DO NOT NEED AN OVERHAUL !!!! U might want 1 ... U NEED A NEW BIKE !!!!!! GSX-R !!!! CBR 600RR !!!
    kárma is the concept of "action" or "deed"... understood as denoting the entire cycle of cause and effect

Karma's not a B***ch, it's a Filipino on a Motorcycle !!!!!!

NOBODY help Ray !!!! i need all the help i can 2 get him a NEW bike !!!
    kárma is the concept of "action" or "deed"... understood as denoting the entire cycle of cause and effect

Karma's not a B***ch, it's a Filipino on a Motorcycle !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by R3DLYNE View Post
    what can u do...how can i tell what work i need done...i'm a car mechanic, not a bike mechanic...and plus, i really don't want to work on my own bike...if i can avoid it then i'll avoid it...my bike runs...i've been riding it ever since august when i got it...i just want to make sure that it preforms how it did when the bike first came out...hopefully perform even better...nothing too crazy though...i am saving up for another bike...but if i don't get my new bike next season then i'm going to be riding the RZ350...and i just want it to be safe...i have been told that i'm burning a lot of fuel...or my oil pumps needs adjustment...i don't know...i want someone to take a look at it...
    RZs are pretty durable in stock trim. If you just want to do the top end then condition will depend on scoring. Can we get away with fresh rings or are we boring? If boring are we using stock Yamaha pistons or are we going forged aftermarket? Are the bearings ok crank ok? Crankcase seals (two smokes dont need extra air seeping in)? Then we can get into reeds and reed cages, new Yamaha or aftermarket?
    Thats what I was talking about as for a rebuild. As for fuel mileage no two strokes are misers.

Quote Originally Posted by R3DLYNE View Post
    ...i have been told that i'm burning a lot of fuel...or my oil pumps needs adjustment...i don't know...i want someone to take a look at it...
    I rode an RZ for many years... In fact I still have it. I've been told (at stop lights,) by many many drivers (cars and bikes alike) that I'm running rich. Too bad they don't know 'diddley S.F.A' about how 2 strokes work.
    They will smell rich from idle to ~4500 RPM, depending on the exhaust you have.

I love mine, but for pollution sake, I bought a 4-stroke -- And 2-strokes are pigs on gas. But the RZ is awesome. It's the R1 of the early 80s.

check out this forum http://www.yamaha-rd.com/forum/

I say do everything you can yourself. If you're a car mechanic, you're now looking at a motor with so fewer moving parts. A cylinder head that just unbolts, because there is no valve train on top.

Oil pump is really easy to check... never known anybody who had to adjust it... All you need is a small vile to measure 10 mL in 1 mL increments.

PM me with any questions if you need any help.

But don't ask how to get the smell of 2-stroke oil out of clothing -- It's like a perfume to me.

Call Pro6. Sandy has done many, raced them in the RZcup glory days (and won the campionship).
    Talk to Paul or Joey 416-231-8829.

Sheena

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    NOBODY help Ray !!!! i need all the help i can 2 get him a NEW bike !!!
    I can help. I'll be putting my CBR up for sale soon now that I have the VTR going.

RAY - your bike is not crazy man. I'm your friend. I can help.
    Andrew
    '05 CB919 and '04 CB599 shared with the missus (Jenerator)

my first bike was a 1990rz loved it to death after i got hit i got rid of it. but i was only 17 and i did a new top end and everything by myself, it was perfect. its very easy to rip the engine out and do it yourself the engine is only about 60lbs. you can do a top end in a day for a couple hundred bucks. pistons/rings, gaskets, bearings.

do your pistons look like this?? these are my little souvenirs and all i have left from my 1990 rz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pistons.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    my first bike was a 1990rz loved it to death after i got hit i got rid of it. but i was only 17 and i did a new top end and everything by myself, it was perfect. its very easy to rip the engine out and do it yourself the engine is only about 60lbs. you can do a top end in a day for a couple hundred bucks. pistons/rings, gaskets, bearings.

do your pistons look like this?? these are my little souvenirs and all i have left from my 1990 rz
    i actually don't know how my pistons look like cause i haven't taken the engine apart...although i wouldn't be surprised...hahahaha...would it still run?...

Quote Originally Posted by RC-31 View Post
    I rode an RZ for many years... In fact I still have it. I've been told (at stop lights,) by many many drivers (cars and bikes alike) that I'm running rich. Too bad they don't know 'diddley S.F.A' about how 2 strokes work.
    They will smell rich from idle to ~4500 RPM, depending on the exhaust you have.

I love mine, but for pollution sake, I bought a 4-stroke -- And 2-strokes are pigs on gas. But the RZ is awesome. It's the R1 of the early 80s.

check out this forum http://www.yamaha-rd.com/forum/

I say do everything you can yourself. If you're a car mechanic, you're now looking at a motor with so fewer moving parts. A cylinder head that just unbolts, because there is no valve train on top.

Oil pump is really easy to check... never known anybody who had to adjust it... All you need is a small vile to measure 10 mL in 1 mL increments.

PM me with any questions if you need any help.

But don't ask how to get the smell of 2-stroke oil out of clothing -- It's like a perfume to me.
    i know a few less moving parts...but just because it's a bike...i'm kinda scared...actually i'm the same way with my car...i would probably be able to diagnose and repair anyone's car...but when it comes to fixing my own car...i'd rather have wal-mart do my oil change (while i'm watching them do it) for only 10 bucks...i guess another factor is the fact that i only have underground parking at my condo...although i can bring it to my shop and take it apart...but after a long days work, i'd rather be out of the shop riding my bike...

Quote Originally Posted by MaSheena View Post
    Call Pro6. Sandy has done many, raced them in the RZcup glory days (and won the campionship).
    Talk to Paul or Joey 416-231-8829.

Sheena
    one of the customers at my shop is actually going out with paul...she told me to give him a call...actually paul gets his truck fixed at my shop...i talked with him and he told me that it's better if they took a look at it...apparently u can tell if the engine needs any internal work (ie. pistons, rings, seals etc...) just by looking through the exhaust ports...i'm going to see him on friday or saturday...

Quote Originally Posted by STORMTRO0PER View Post
    I can help. I'll be putting my CBR up for sale soon now that I have the VTR going.

RAY - your bike is not crazy man. I'm your friend. I can help.
    i know u would help...thanks dude...my bike may not be crazy...but ur new toy is CRAZY...

here are some of the symptoms that i know about so far...keyword...SO FAR...

1. hard to start if not ridden within 2 days...smells like it's flooding out...the fuel tap on the side reads res - pri - on...the knob was not there when i bought the bike...right now i think it's set on "pri"...when i put it to the "on" position, the bike stalls out after a couple minutes (not revving it up)...

1.b if u guys think it might be the choke...that's another problem...i don't think my choke is adjusted...cause with the choke enabled, the engine will stall out if i don't rev it up...

2. from about 7000 - redline seems like it's all dead revs...and there seems to be a lag when i throttle it up...

2.b how fast should my bike be able to top out at...right now...it tops out at 155 - 160 km/h @ 7500 RPM...speedo goes up to 200 km/h with a redline of 10,000 RPM...not that i would like to go 200 km/h especially with this new law in effect...but if my bike was supposed to go faster than 160 then maybe i'm losing power some where...

3. EXCESSIVE SMOKE...i think more than a regular 2 stroke should smoke...i have been told by friends that ride behind me that i smoke when accelerating out of 1st and 2nd gear...is that normal?

well...there u have it...i'm pretty sure there are more problems with my bike...and that's why any help would be greatly appreciated...

R3DLYNE, weak top end, excessive smoke, smell of gas... sounds like it is running rich. This is more complicated, as you already suspect enrichment problems with the carbs (choke) anyway.

As much as I am a work on your own bike kinda guy, it sounds like you're well connected to a great source. See if you can sit on the work... maybe not a welcome idea, but great for you, if Paul will let you.

The pistons in the picture look like they died because prolonged detonation due to too-far advanced spark. I could be wrong, after all it was only 1 picture. Notice where the errosion starts on the crown of the piston, just off centre, that is where the bottom of the sparkplug is pointing, so this is were the flame front hits the piston first. Richer mixture will make the flame front move faster, thus advancing your timing on you.
    Also the skirts are also known to break off these pistons, especially if you've ever run out of oil.

If you can, a quick compression test should tell you how bad the motor is, (although on 2 strokes, a leak-down test is butter, but you might not have to tools for that.) With a standard compression guage and kicking the motor with ignition off, you should have ~ 110 - 120 PSI of pressure. If you're too low, the pistons are probably getting sloppy, then you'll need to replace those.

1 word of caution about splitting the cases: there's 1 110mm bolt at the back of the cases that Yamaha no longer has available.

Quote Originally Posted by RC-31 View Post
    R3DLYNE, weak top end, excessive smoke, smell of gas... sounds like it is running rich. This is more complicated, as you already suspect enrichment problems with the carbs (choke) anyway.

As much as I am a work on your own bike kinda guy, it sounds like you're well connected to a great source. See if you can sit on the work... maybe not a welcome idea, but great for you, if Paul will let you.

The pistons in the picture look like they died because prolonged detonation due to too-far advanced spark. I could be wrong, after all it was only 1 picture. Notice where the errosion starts on the crown of the piston, just off centre, that is where the bottom of the sparkplug is pointing, so this is were the flame front hits the piston first. Richer mixture will make the flame front move faster, thus advancing your timing on you.
    Also the skirts are also known to break off these pistons, especially if you've ever run out of oil.

If you can, a quick compression test should tell you how bad the motor is, (although on 2 strokes, a leak-down test is butter, but you might not have to tools for that.) With a standard compression guage and kicking the motor with ignition off, you should have ~ 110 - 120 PSI of pressure. If you're too low, the pistons are probably getting sloppy, then you'll need to replace those.

1 word of caution about splitting the cases: there's 1 110mm bolt at the back of the cases that Yamaha no longer has available.
    i should do a compression test...i was thinking that maybe my bike won't start sometimes due to low compression...i'm riding it to my shop today...so if i don't get lazy i should be able to check it...what tools are u talking about for the leak down test?...i think i would have the tools at the shop...

Here's a leak down kit:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...wn-Tester.aspx

Basically contains block-off flanges to cover the exhaust ports, intake adapters to fit the carb intake boots, pump and a guage. It's a very 2 stroke specific tool, Pro6 would probably have it.

Ah just forget about it,way to much work.I think you should just buy new.Maybe i could help you out by taking the old smoker off your hands....lol.Free pick-up

Unhappy Re: Need An OVERHAUL...

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrider36 View Post
    Ah just forget about it,way to much work.I think you should just buy new.Maybe i could help you out by taking the old smoker off your hands....lol.Free pick-up
    that doesn't sound too bad...hahahahahha...

well here's a new update on the bike...i just rode it to school this morning...i'm located in DT and my school is in hamilton @ MOHAWK...the bike seemed fine...lunch time came around early so i rode it to a restaurant, then came back to school...bike seemed fine...i left school early at around 2 cause it looked like it was going to rain...got back in DT...as soon as i reached the CNE bike died...it started again once i kicked it a couple of times...but i had to keep revving it up just to keep it alive...i got to my condo bike died...bike keeps dying when i don't rev it up...there is fuel in the tank...i REALLY don't know what to do with this bike anymore...really considering putting it down and grabbing a new bike...i'm kinda fed up with the RZ350...mind u it did serve it's purpose well for one season...it being my first bike and all...so who wants to buy this bike off me and add to my "NEW BIKE FUND"...unless there are other suggestions...but really don't want to spend so much money on this bike...

I used to own an RD400 and RZ500, though that was 10yrs ago.

Could be your choke cable needs adjustment, my RD ran like crap and bogged when I bought it, same symptoms as yours and was a simple fix. Could also be you've blown a piston, take a peek inside and see what shape your pistons are in.

As for speed and dead revs, 160 sounds about right, and power on a stock motor drops off way before redline, so until it died your bike is making all the power it was supposed to. I saw you on Wednesday, and it didn't seem to be running rich or smoking any more than it should. Sounded like it was pretty good actually.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    I used to own an RD400 and RZ500, though that was 10yrs ago.

Could be your choke cable needs adjustment, my RD ran like crap and bogged when I bought it, same symptoms as yours and was a simple fix. Could also be you've blown a piston, take a peek inside and see what shape your pistons are in.

As for speed and dead revs, 160 sounds about right, and power on a stock motor drops off way before redline, so until it died your bike is making all the power it was supposed to. I saw you on Wednesday, and it didn't seem to be running rich or smoking any more than it should. Sounded like it was pretty good actually.
    oh yeah i remember u...would i be able to see the piston through the exhaust port?...or should i just do a compression test...man i'm giving up...looks like i'll be riding a honda accord next riding season...hahahahahaha...