Won't start :(

Thread: Won't start :(

Elizabeth P

Won't start :(

Hi, I have a 94 Ninja 250, and the bike no longer starts, but there is a rapid clicking noise coming from a small round component with a red 30A fuse and connector on top of it. Pics are below. Is this the starter or solenoid? Sorry..im a tech newbie. TIA

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9&id=580620713

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...c&id=580620713

Re: Won't start :(

Sounds like you don't have enough charge in the battery to engage the starter. Have you put a charger on the battery? The rapid clicking is the starter solenoid trying to engage. Put it on a charger overnight and see if this makes a difference. If not, put a multi meter (set to DC) on the battery terminals and see what the volts read (after charging) they should read around 12V DC.
    Steve Abbott

Elizabeth P

Thanks... But to tell you the truth when I start it the last time it worked... I heard something like something popped.... and it smelled like something burned out...
    But i'll try recharging the battery tomorrow

that clicking it the starter solenoid trying to go but not having enough power to turn your stater over. charge the battery up an give it a try. if you heard a "pop" sound you may have blowen a fuse as well. check the little fuse box to see if they are all fine.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Check the battery connections and the selenoid connections. The popping and burning smell could be a loose cable arching which would also not allow enough current to pass to the starter through the selenoid causing it to click.
    If you need someone to have a look give me a shout I work cheap and know those little bikes inside out.
    lighttwins@yahoo.com

Elizabeth P

I've check the little fuse box... nothing looked like it was burned out.... My friend is going to charge the battery tonight... if that doesn't work.. I will definately contact you...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth P View Post
    I've check the little fuse box... nothing looked like it was burned out.... My friend is going to charge the battery tonight... if that doesn't work.. I will definately contact you...

thanks
    What I was refering to was to make sure the cables were tight. A loose cable will/could cause an arch which may give a sizzling sound and you may smell a burning. The loose cable would also reduce the current being passed to the selenoid. Just grab them with your hand you should not be able to wiggle them at all if you can then you may have solved the mystery.

I checked out the bike, all the fuses are fine in the black fuse box to the right, and the 30A one above the solenoid is fine too. All the cables connected to the battery and the solenoid are fine too. I'm a car guy so I have no clue about bikes, but how is the battery recharged on a bike? There is no alternator is there? Also, would it be safe to boost the battery from a car battery?

p.s. "friend" eh elizabeth??

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCorrado View Post
    I checked out the bike, all the fuses are fine in the black fuse box to the right, and the 30A one above the solenoid is fine too. All the cables connected to the battery and the solenoid are fine too. I'm a car guy so I have no clue about bikes, but how is the battery recharged on a bike? There is no alternator is there? Also, would it be safe to boost the battery from a car battery?

p.s. "friend" eh elizabeth??

My bike sounded like that when I drained the battery using my Heated Jacket. I gave it a boost using a 12 volt battery booster and all was great again.
    Please keep in mind, I know NOTHING about this, just it sounds familiar to what I went through yesterday.

Elizabeth P

Super Carrado.... This is a bike Forum.. not a car Forum... Please Change your name... haha..
    If you can please take a look at my bike today.... please.. I would really like to ride my bike tomorrow.. it's so beuatiful outside... I haven't ride my bike in 2 weeks... I feel so empty inside

I need the rush lol

if the fuses are good, and the wires are all connected nie and tight then its a dead bat. you can jump a bike off another 12v bat, or you can bump start it. the question then becomes why the bat went dead then. old/damaged and just not holding a charge, somthing wrong with the charging system, or somthing like leaving your lights on

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    if the fuses are good, and the wires are all connected nie and tight then its a dead bat.
    Likely however not nessassrrily. Could also be selenoid switch, faulty ignition,kill,sidestand switch, starter motor, locked engine,starter clutch. Need more information. Static current in battery? Does it turn and start with a boost? Current at 5K rpm?
    I was a liitle suspicious when it was mentioned that there was a sizzle sound and a burning smell. That sounds unlike a dead battery, or at least someting else along with.

truth there

Elizabeth P

Hey Guys... well the bike did start after the jump start.. and i let it run for 23.5 minutes... lol... I also turned it off and restarted it... and it turned on with no problem... anyways.. the next day I was so happy to take it to work... and it din;t turn on....

It looks like all i need is a new battery... I know a place where i can get one but it's $60.99.. and I have to pay another $40 for service.. do you guys know anyone??

see the reply in your other thread about the same thing.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...t=47410&page=2

where downtown? I'm at Uni/Dundas and finish in a half hour.

Elizabeth P

IT's all good... I just had to charge the batteru over night...

Thanks