A good winter partner (Automatic Battery Charger)

Thread: A good winter partner (Automatic Battery Charger)

JackRussel

A good winter partner (Automatic Battery Charger)

I read some reviews and they said the Automatic Battery Charger is better than the Trickle Charger. I found the following at Canadian Tire. Will get one today.

Motomaster Automatic 10/2A Battery Charger
    Sale: $34.99
    Reg: $74.99

Just for your information : )

Re: A good winter partner (Automatic Battery Charger)

+1 to Battery Tender, used CT battery charger - crap compare to trickle charger.
    anyone can hurt a fighter not everyone will get a chance to excuse

Quote Originally Posted by JackRussel View Post
    I read some reviews and they said the Automatic Battery Charger is better than the Trickle Charger. I found the following at Canadian Tire. Will get one today.

Motomaster Automatic 10/2A Battery Charger
    Sale: $34.99
    Reg: $74.99

Just for your information : )
    That isn't really what you want either.
    1) It is rated 2amp so the smallest battery you want to use it on is a 20amp battery. Do you have a 20amp battery? I didn't think so.
    2) It is an automatic charger... meaning it is a 2amp trickle charger.

What you are looking for is a "Smart" charger.
    Crappy Tire has them, rated for 1.5amp about $50.

JackRussel

Oh, is it right? Thanks for your info. Do you have the part number? I was there and nobody know what is "Smart" charger or 1.5amp charger : (

Quote Originally Posted by JackRussel View Post
    Oh, is it right? Thanks for your info. Do you have the part number? I was there and nobody know what is "Smart" charger or 1.5amp charger : (
    Nobody know it in CT
    Call motorcycle superstore at 47 River. They have it ($35-$40)

CTC part #11-1544-4
    On the website it is called a trickle charger BUT it does have " float mode". It is a re-branded tender.

My vote would go to the Optimate 3 made by tech mate
    http://www.tecmate-int.com/
    I just did an ebay search on it and looks like Kahuna Cycle carries them for $84.99,its also available from any shop that deals with Motovan or Steen Hansens
    Its a more pricey than the rest ,but its the only charger i know off that can revive a maintenance free battery even after its been sitting a year or two unused.
    I have used it on my battery from a Gsxr 1000 from 2001 and the battery is going strong like brand new.
    when i worked at Cycle World East in the mid 90s there was a unusually high call for warrantying new maintenance free bike batteries on bikes which were purchased in the summer ,sitting in the winter and had dead batteries which could not be successfully revived by the battery tenders at that time they would indicate a full charge,but when they were picked up and ridden away they would die again.
    The manufactures Kawasaki in particular actually made us attend a battery workshop hosted by the makers of the optimate and made it mandatory for us to have a optimate charger, a bigger version more suited to shop duty to revive these dead Maintenance free batteries ,The optimate 3 is the exact same technology ,they are made by techmate and a quick look on there website will explain the charging dynamics and why these are the only battery charger effective for maintenance free and Gel batteries ,Honda endorses them and even has An O.e.m charger from them.
    The price is more than the battery tender or other competition but with the cost of batteries going up to $200 in some cases ,reviving just one will be worth the purchase price.Im sure shopping around on ebay and in the states can get you some far better prices .
    On a side note i used my charger to revive a battery from a cbr600rr that was sitting out in a garage for 3 years and was less than 3 volts when i tested it,it was used for a whole season after with no issues so definitely consider it especially for those who have not done much maintenance to there batteries in the past it will bring it up good as new in most cases
    LICENSED AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE TECHNICIAN
    LICENSED MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN

MaxR6

I couldn't find the smart charger in ANY CT here in Montreal so I went to a bike dealer. Paid 54$ tax in for the Yuasa Smart Shot 900, a 12V 900miliAmp charger with the float charge, quick connect, clamp and rings (if you want it left permanently on the battery). Looks like it's the right choice, although I have not used it yet, hehe (I'm recommending smth I still have not tried...).

Does anybody know what the little 3AFUSED connector (attached to the rings cable) is for? I have not taken the battery out of the bike for storage yet, but I see no use for this connector...?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxR6 View Post
    Does anybody know what the little 3AFUSED connector (attached to the rings cable) is for? I have not taken the battery out of the bike for storage yet, but I see no use for this connector...?
    Cheers!
    In case if you will short the end's, it will protect your battery.

MaxR6

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurGray View Post
    In case if you will short the end's, it will protect your battery.
    Hmm ok.. so I just leave it there? I mean, no need to connect anything to it right? It's the connector that comes wuth alittle cap to cover it (sorry for my ignorance on this otherwise simple-looking problem)...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxR6 View Post
    Hmm ok.. so I just leave it there? I mean, no need to connect anything to it right? It's the connector that comes wuth alittle cap to cover it (sorry for my ignorance on this otherwise simple-looking problem)...
    Connect wire with 3A to the battery terminals and leave it. After you will put bike in storage you would have to remove that plastic cap, connect second wire with same connector and plug it into wall outlet for charging. In the future, you can get same connectors on any electronic store and wire same way your heated west or GPS, or cell phone charger.

MaxR6

oh man it's just the 3amp fuse, not a connector..oops... sorry to have bothered you, I should have checked more closely..

cheers!

should be an inline fuse There no such thing as 3AMP connector