Bike Stolen

Thread: Bike Stolen

Bike Stolen

For any of you that has had your bike stolen, has your insurance company asked you for names and numbers of persons that you've ridden with? Do they really need this info? If I didn't socialize with these ppl outside of motorcycling would you even want to give that out?

Re: Bike Stolen

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer_9mm View Post
    For any of you that has had your bike stolen, has your insurance company asked you for names and numbers of persons that you've ridden with? Do they really need this info? If I didn't socialize with these ppl outside of motorcycling would you even want to give that out?
    Why would they want this information now? If they didn't ask me when i was trying to get the premium, then the answer to that question now that bike happens to be stolen will be, What has that gotta do with the stolen bike? I dunno let the pop's do thier investigation...

Toronto 2007 GSXR 600 (Street) 2004 GSXR 600 (Track)

I don't see how who you ride with would matter. What are they going to do, call everyone you ride with and check their garages??? Doesn't make sense to me, but who knows what those insurance guys are thinking. I would just tell them that you ride by yourself.

jfernandez

That's ridiculous! I've been in the insurance claims industry for 7 years and never seen a dumb question like that. If they have doubts about how legit your claim is or how honest you are, they may ask you to provide your last service invoice or even request a credit check on you WITH YOUR PERMISSION. Don't let them d!ck you around, you've been paying premium. If this continues, insist on speaking to a manager or threaten to call the Financial Services Commision of Ontario.

D

Ask that agent for a list of ALL the people that has driven their car and or has access to their car as well as anyone that was a passenger.

SpeedFreak

well thats interesting....if i was in that situation i would say that i have no friends..

Fear-Me

Tell them you ride with "Q-ball, T-Bone and Hobo Pete" with the Hells Angels.

Wonder how they'd feel about insuring you then? =p

No, they don't NEED that information. I don't know whether they can require it from you or not, but my gut tells me not, based on basic privacy rights.

What they may be doing, is trying to compile a database and look for correlations between who has their bikes stolen and who they ride with, in order to determine if there is an involvement in the thefts. When you think about it, it makes a kind of sense. When you REALLY think about it, it's a bit of a slap in the face.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I agree with Rob.

The problem with not telling them is that you are starting your claim on a negative note. The money you get from them is so subjective that this could effect the end result of your claim. My gut reaction would be to politely tell them that this is private information and you would prefer to not release it unless the insurance company can show the relevance to the claim...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    No, they don't NEED that information. I don't know whether they can require it from you or not, but my gut tells me not, based on basic privacy rights.

What they may be doing, is trying to compile a database and look for correlations between who has their bikes stolen and who they ride with, in order to determine if there is an involvement in the thefts. When you think about it, it makes a kind of sense. When you REALLY think about it, it's a bit of a slap in the face.
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".