Classic Honda Brampton - Thumbs Up!

Thread: Classic Honda Brampton - Thumbs Up!

Thumbs up Classic Honda Brampton - Thumbs Up!

As a new mature rider (lol) and the schedule being a little hairy...I am finding it more convenient servicing the bike at Classic Honda which is essentially 10 minutes away from home. Motul semi-synthetic oil change done 2 weeks ago ($84.09 net...$95.87 with taxes). Brake pads and fluid replaced today and chatted about winterizing...apparently I need to replace the oil again and NOT ride it. Should they have forewarned/advised me...perhaps. Should I have researched it prior to committing to the service...absolutely. I'll just have to ride the hell out of it in the next little while to justify THAT service.

Question...replaced front and rear pads (2xEBC 296HH and 1xEBC FA174HH) plus the fluid I was told needed changing (Super Dot 4)...$238.27 net...$271.63 with tax. Is this a fair price?

Aside from info gathering on going rates on this thread (hoping this is allowed on here), I must say that the overall experience thus far with Classic Honda has been positive. Much thanks to Lenny, Bill, and James! Appreciating the personalized service...advising immediately when parts are in and having a courtesy shuttle service..bonus! What's especially great is that I don't get the attitude that I feel at other shops. Oh...and the service hours are convenient as well. Getting this from their website...I know Thursday and Saturday are accurate...but double check the other days...it may have changed.

Mon-Tues: 7:30am - 9:00pm
    Wednesday: 7:30am - 9:00pm
    Thursday: 7:30am - 9:00pm
    Friday: 7:30am - 4:30pm
    Saturday: 7:30am - 4:00pm

Classic Honda
    30 Van Kirk Drive

Brampton, ON L7A 2Y4
    classichonda.ca
    Last edited by majik_feet; 10-20-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: reformatted service hours

Re: Classic Honda Brampton - Thumbs Up!

I've known Doug, the mechanic at Classic Honda for a lot of years. He is a good mechanic, as well as being a nice guy. He doesn't set the prices for the work he does, that's the guy at the service counter.

What you paid for an oil and filter change, is what basically any other bike shop would charge, so i guess that makes it reasonable.

As far as I am concerned, you could have done it yourself for half the price. the same with the brake pad and oil changes. It is not rocket science, and anyone who can read a manual and afford a $10 tool lit from Canadian Tire could do it.

In regards to changing the oil two weeks ago and not telling you about storage. I don't see that it is really their job to tell you about that.

Quite obviously you don't really know much about bike maintenance. Do yourself a favour and get the bike manual. You save a bundle, and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

First and foremost, appreciate your input GMAN.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
    As far as I am concerned, you could have done it yourself for half the price. the same with the brake pad and oil changes. It is not rocket science, and anyone who can read a manual and afford a $10 tool lit from Canadian Tire could do it.
    I've read the manual...just unfortunately didn't have the time, tools, nor the initiative at the time to give it a try the first go around. It's something I'm eager to do next year.

In regards to changing the oil two weeks ago and not telling you about storage. I don't see that it is really their job to tell you about that.
    I've already attributed that to my learning curve. As a known new rider, some re-direction and guidance would have been appreciated, that's all. However, it appears I was not clear with my intended direction or I essentially misunderstood the details in the conversation. Probably side tracked with the baby in arms.

Quite obviously you don't really know much about bike maintenance. Do yourself a favour and get the bike manual. You save a bundle, and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
    Manual obtained. Again, with only 1200 km / 2.5 months of lifetime riding just accumulated, I felt more comfortable having experienced individuals give the bike a once over while doing the intended service. Put my mind at ease that's for sure. I think you can appreciate that.

Classic Honda is great, I got my bike from them in June. I also got my first service done there, it was great and they let me watch. The mechanic there explained some things to me and just gave me general tips, which made me happy. I've been doing all the maintenance I can by myself (like oil changes and the inspections they tell you how to do in the manual). Recently I took my bike to a shop that was a bit closer to me, but I have no problems going to the dealer. I'd recommend them to anyone who wants to get service done on their bike or wants to buy a new bike.

My experience with them was a little mixed. I contacted their sales department and was interested in buying a new bike and trading my old one. They got back to me right away and said that they would call me on Monday about some prices and suggestions, but I never heard from them again.

I emailed them several times but no response. They lost because a week later I bought a new bike from Inglis in London.

superhawk996

Re: Classic Honda Brampton - Thumbs DOWN

Classic Sucks They Have No Idea About Bikes And There Just Scammers Like Suzuki Of Newmarket

You could probably get away without the second oil change. There may have been problems with engines seizing up or otherwise rusting inside in years past but with today's high quality oils, it really isn't necessary.

What does cause internal condensation, and possible rust, is changes in temperature. But if your bike is under a cover in an unheated garage, or in a heated space where there is little or no change in temperatures, you won't get condensation.

As well, any byproducts of combustion that might form corrosive acids are usually held in suspension by the oil. The newer and fresher the oil, the better. And oils last longer these days. You can easily go three to four months with the bike parked and just ride it in the Spring. Just change it within a 1000 km when the better weather gets here.

Personally , with only two weeks of riding on semi synthetic oil I would not bother changing the oil again, I don't think that a lot of contaminants would have built up in that time. But there again I am not an expert !
    Ride Safe
    Hammersfan

Quote Originally Posted by superhawk996 View Post
    Classic Sucks They Have No Idea About Bikes And There Just Scammers Like Suzuki Of Newmarket

I just bought a Bike from Suzuki of Newmarket they seemed honest to me... well as honest as car sales peolpe can be ... I guess all dealerships are the same one bad apple spoils the bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Britt~ View Post
    I just bought a Bike from Suzuki of Newmarket they seemed honest to me... well as honest as car sales peolpe can be ... I guess all dealerships are the same one bad apple spoils the bunch!
    Suzuki of Newmarket sucks
    I was going to buy my next bike from them.
    Honest car sales people,(that also sell bikes) is an oxymoron.
    Honest = car sales people=bike sales people at SON.No thanks.

I will go to Classic,seem like much nicer folks.

Good luck with your new bike,enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Britt~ View Post
    Stay the hell away from that place for service. I had my GS in there in May and they scratched the hell out of it and took all my gas. They are a bunch of jerk offs and the managers arent worth a squirt of piss.

Quote Originally Posted by hospital View Post
    Suzuki of Newmarket sucks
    I was going to buy my next bike from them.
    Honest car sales people,(that also sell bikes) is an oxymoron.
    Honest = car sales people=bike sales people at SON.No thanks.

I will go to Classic,seem like much nicer folks.

Good luck with your new bike,enjoy it.

Thanks I plan to!
    Good luck with Classic I wanted a Honda but they dont have any good first time bikes really.. the 125 just does not cut it and I did not want to start out with a 600... I am happy with it so far... personally I had zero issues with Newmarket but like I said one bad person spoils it all... I am sure not matter where you go you will get liers... in the end its there job to make the sale....
    Happy shopping and good luck!
    Brittnie

As far as I am concerned, you could have done it yourself for half the price. the same with the brake pad and oil changes. It is not rocket science, and anyone who can read a manual and afford a $10 tool lit from Canadian Tire could do it......

You have to be way more cautious with your wording on telling people to do their own maintenance and its easy etc. I agree its not difficult and I have been the do it yourself type over the years even before I was a mechanic but some people (not necessarily the original poster) simply SHOULD NOT be tackling things like their own brakes for the first time for their own safety.

This season I must have worked on 20 bikes that came in after the person had attempted their own repairs and I'd say half of them were dangerous. I have seen rear brakes not assembled properly on some bikes because one of the pads didn't have both ends through the pins. GL1800's where the guy gets air into his brake system and rides it with dangerous mushy pedals, the list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by superhawk996 View Post
    classic sucks

Quote Originally Posted by majik_feet View Post
    As a new mature rider (lol) and the schedule being a little hairy...I am finding it more convenient servicing the bike at Classic Honda which is essentially 10 minutes away from home. Motul semi-synthetic oil change done 2 weeks ago ($84.09 net...$95.87 with taxes). Brake pads and fluid replaced today and chatted about winterizing...apparently I need to replace the oil again and NOT ride it. Should they have forewarned/advised me...perhaps. Should I have researched it prior to committing to the service...absolutely. I'll just have to ride the hell out of it in the next little while to justify THAT service.

Question...replaced front and rear pads (2xEBC 296HH and 1xEBC FA174HH) plus the fluid I was told needed changing (Super Dot 4)...$238.27 net...$271.63 with tax. Is this a fair price?

Aside from info gathering on going rates on this thread (hoping this is allowed on here), I must say that the overall experience thus far with Classic Honda has been positive. Much thanks to Lenny, Bill, and James! Appreciating the personalized service...advising immediately when parts are in and having a courtesy shuttle service..bonus! What's especially great is that I don't get the attitude that I feel at other shops. Oh...and the service hours are convenient as well. Getting this from their website...I know Thursday and Saturday are accurate...but double check the other days...it may have changed.

Mon-Tues: 7:30am - 9:00pm
    Wednesday: 7:30am - 9:00pm
    Thursday: 7:30am - 9:00pm
    Friday: 7:30am - 4:30pm
    Saturday: 7:30am - 4:00pm

Classic Honda
    30 Van Kirk Drive

Brampton, ON L7A 2Y4
    classichonda.ca
    dude u got ripped offfffffff big times LOL... oil + filter 50 bucks riders choice ( i change it myself) brake pads (EBC HH front and rear) and fluid vision cycle dude i cant tell ya what price but prolly 5 times less then u paid... i dun mess around with my brakes lol...hmm well if u have someone to show ya how to change ur oil that would be nice, but w.e makes u happy ...
    freaky

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    You have to be way more cautious with your wording on telling people to do their own maintenance and its easy etc. I agree its not difficult and I have been the do it yourself type over the years even before I was a mechanic but some people (not necessarily the original poster) simply SHOULD NOT be tackling things like their own brakes for the first time for their own safety.

This season I must have worked on 20 bikes that came in after the person had attempted their own repairs and I'd say half of them were dangerous. I have seen rear brakes not assembled properly on some bikes because one of the pads didn't have both ends through the pins. GL1800's where the guy gets air into his brake system and rides it with dangerous mushy pedals, the list goes on and on.
    If we were talking car brakes, I would tend to agree with you, but when it comes to bike brakes, they are so simple (pad changes) I have to disagree with you.

I do agree that the manual should be read thoroughly on whatever task you are doing, and if you don't feel confident in your abilitiy, don't do it!