newbie oil question

Thread: newbie oil question

newbie oil question

OK I'm still getting the hang of having a bike, please bare with me.

From my understanding, if the oil level goes down (you look at the side of the bike and you can see the oil level in this little circle thing), you just fill it up. So what does it mean to have an "oil change"? I always hear people taking their bike to the shop to get their oil changed... I'm assuming it's not just adding more oil to it since this can be done at home.

What's the difference between oil change and just adding oil to it when the level goes down? How often is each done? thanks in advance and happy riding.

Tugzy

Re: newbie oil question

hi, do you own a car? Its exactly the same idea.

Oil change is draining all the oil out and replacing it with fresh new oil...includes a new filter too

Topping up the oil because it is low means adding oil to bring it back to full...it is not an oil change...you do this between oil changes

Check your owners manual for the recommended oil change interval...use the recommended oil too.

Okay, #1 be sure the bike is standing up level if you're going by the sight glass. Need to let it sit for a good fifteen minutes to let all the oil drain into the pan. DO NOT OVERFILL, WERRRYYY BWAADDD.

#2 Every 3000km or three months, whichever comes first, you need to drain all the oil and change the filter. Not that hard to DIY, most dealerships or CT's will let you drop off used oil for free.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

or check it before you go riding...you might need someone to hold the bike upright for you to check the glass.

oil breaks down after long periods off use.. topping up only helps for a short period of time... more like a temperary fix... giving it fresh, new clean oil w/ a new filter, lets the bike run more efficient!