Re-enforced Denims

Thread: Re-enforced Denims

Re-enforced Denims

So I figured that I would get myself a re-enforced denim, since crashing w/ just denims is not very pleasant.

I picked up an Icon Recon Pants and I was thinking is the knee protectors too low? When I fell off w/ jeans, the part of the pants that was busted was way below the knee. The Recon has the protectors waaay below the knees. I am thinking its too low, but yet a part of me is telling me its ok.

Do u guys wear any re-enforced denims, if so, where is the knee protectors located, slightly below the knees when standing or exactly at the knees?? Tell me more about ur denims if u have 1.

Here is the 1 I bought.
    http://www.rideicon.com/product_deta...y=1238&id=5791

Sorry for the broken english here. My thoughts are very random now.

cheers
    Resident Loudmouth

Re: Re-enforced Denims

I think with any riding jeans (that even bother with armour) it'll take a stroke of VERY good luck to happen to have the armour in the right spot during a get off. They're primarily designed to offer more abrasion resistance then jeans alone but are NO WHERE NEAR good protection.

I only wear mine when going to and from work or running errands close to home. Any REAL riding and it's full leather for me.

PS - I have Draggin Jeans... more expensive and (from what I've seen of Icon) much better construction.

Hey RG. Since my slide, I've since worn the Icon knee and shin protection that I borrowed from a friend (former rider). Although preferring to just grab the gloves, helmet and go...since then I've factored in a little bit more protection. However curious about the Draggin Jeans not sure it's worth the expense. Next buy would probably be the padded shorts. Side was a little bruised up on the drop. Icon Motorhead jacket did wonders...just need a place to restitch the leather back to the zipper near the shoulder. Any ideas where to get that done?

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    I think with any riding jeans (that even bother with armour) it'll take a stroke of VERY good luck to happen to have the armour in the right spot during a get off. They're primarily designed to offer more abrasion resistance then jeans alone but are NO WHERE NEAR good protection.

I only wear mine when going to and from work or running errands close to home. Any REAL riding and it's full leather for me.

PS - I have Draggin Jeans... more expensive and (from what I've seen of Icon) much better construction.
    I have full leathers. Its just that I cant wear it to work or when there will be predicted rain. I cant go to visit family in full leather too.
    Its also hard for ppl to stop staring at u when u have full leathers w/ knee sliders sticking out.

I wanted something not too outrageous, cuz I might as well buy a proper amoured pants.

Where is the knee amour located in ur jeans?
    If u have fallen b4 what location on the jeans were it busted?

cheers
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have full leathers. Its just that I cant wear it to work or when there will be predicted rain. I cant go to visit family in full leather too.
    Its also hard for ppl to stop staring at u when u have full leathers w/ knee sliders sticking out.

I wanted something not too outrageous, cuz I might as well buy a proper amoured pants.

Where is the knee amour located in ur jeans?
    If u have fallen b4 what location on the jeans were it busted?

cheers
    I'm with you on looking inconspicuous. Although juggling with the safety enhanced feature of 2 or 1 pc leathers...can't get myself to even try on leather pants. A part of me thinks it's a look that needs to be earned...if you catch my drift.

I wear the Icon knee and shin pads beneath the jeans but I'm sure you can wear 'em out. A quick check...GP Bikes has them.

With the slide, the areas that were impacted...
    1. left hip: no tear in jeans / area of body sore
    2. left butt cheek: no tear in jeans / area of body sore
    3. both knees: torn in area / road rash in knees (healed in 1.5 weeks)
    4. left shoulder: scratch and loose zipper on Icon Motorhead leather jacket / area of body sore
    5. left elbow: scratch on Icon Motorhead leather jacket / area of body sore
    6. left ankle: no damage to Dainese Quitos / area of body sore
    7. left palm and knuckles: slight tear in 1 Alpinestar SP2 glove (unnoticeable) / didn't feel a thing
    8. helmet: minor scratch on vector helmet / didn't feel a thing

Hope this helps.

I have the Icon Anthem pants. They have no knee/hip protection, I need to get some of those padded shorts and knee protectors next season.

gypsy4

Just my two cents worth....I'm a new female rider just this season, skimmping on protective gear was not an option for me. All or nothing!!!!
    I bought full leather, build in venting, reflective, armour(option of removing) built in vest for cooler months. Pants leather (alpinestars) with build in knee protection. I tried them on fit nice ...anyways the knee protection was sitting low..under knee cap. I brought them up to the register asking why the pads seemed low before I purchased them not a cheap purchase......Being a newbie I was quiet embarrassed when she indicated they sit low when standing, however when you are in riding position you should if not noticed they pull up covering knee and a touch below.
    gypsy4

Quote Originally Posted by majik_feet View Post
    3. both knees: torn in area / road rash in knees (healed in 1.5 weeks)
    I almost have the same rashes. Was your jeans torn below the knee cap or at the knee cap??

Thanx for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy4 View Post
    ......Being a newbie I was quiet embarrassed when she indicated they sit low when standing, however when you are in riding position you should if not noticed they pull up covering knee and a touch below.
    gypsy4
    However, when u have fallen, u become a rag-doll and u find urself in all sorts of position like a contortionist. When I slide, I had to look at the rashes to figure out my body position. I couldnt even remember how my body was. I found scratches on the chin part of my helmet and I said to myself, "wow, I was on my face at 1 point??"

I dont know, I am just trying to ask questions to see if I am right. Because no fall will be the same.

cheers
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I almost have the same rashes. Was your jeans torn below the knee cap or at the knee cap??

Thanx for the reply.
    pants we're really mangled. even remember a tear in the thigh area probably from the stretch. since i bounced from friends place to friends place explaining to all family member what just happened...i guess i'm thankful it was just my thighs and knees exposed for all to see. looking at the scars...left to middle of right knee and center to top of the left knee. you still shaken up?

Quote Originally Posted by majik_feet View Post
    pants we're really mangled. even remember a tear in the thigh area probably from the stretch. since i bounced from friends place to friends place explaining to all family member what just happened...i guess i'm thankful it was just my thighs and knees exposed for all to see. looking at the scars...left to middle of right knee and center to top of the left knee. you still shaken up?
    I on the other hand hid my jeans from every1. I dont want ppl to get paranoid. I posted my pics on facebook and I got so many ppl asking me tons of question. I only put the pics there cuz its my photo diary.

Shaken up? no, it happened quite a while ago. Plus I was busy trying to get my behind off the road and picking my bike up to see what the damages were.
    Resident Loudmouth