How much paint do I need?

Thread: How much paint do I need?

How much paint do I need?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forums.

I got a set of fairings cheap for my SV650, I just need to paint them the color of my bike. I've found a paint distributor out of Quebec I just don't know how much paint to order. Will a Pint suffice? And can anyone recommend a good primer, and where I can pick it up?

I haven't decided if I want to tackle this by myself just yet (I've done a lot of painting in the past, just haven't used clear before) but I still want to get all the materials together.

Here is a picture of the parts I need to paint.

Re: How much paint do I need?

go to any sherwin williams automotive paint locations and they will set you up with everything you need, no need to order online.

you need a half pint (before reducers) to paint those (probably more than enough)...... most urethanes reduce 1:1 , so you will have a full pint of sprayable urethane........ Paint Circuit is where I usually buy my paints, clears, etc....... If you're talking about the Quebec Colorrite , they are usually a perfect match for motorcycle stock colours, but it is expensive compared to a local automotive paint shop......Make sure you clean all the pieces with a good wax/silicone remover, and also use a good quality flexible primer, that adheres to plastic........adhesion promoter will help too........... good luck, Les
    Last edited by cheekeebandito; 10-19-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: n/a

You bring a Ducati to life, all other bikes you just start......

current ride: 2005 DUCATI Monster S4R

for paint or plastic repair inquiries, email me direct: booth_1@sympatico.ca

a half pint will be way more than plenty after its reduced 1:1
    youll have left over for future touchups etc

when i painted my main fairing i went to cawthra automotive in mississauga
    on Cawthra Road 2 blocks North of Lakeshore (http://www.cawthraautomotive.com/)

they have everything you need, colors, reducers,clears,hardners,primers etc etc

you want a good quality primer that will be flexible, i bought plastic specific primer from pro-form from them in a spray can, worked great

you can do either of 3 things, basecoat w/ clearcoat, basically you lay down your color first, then clearcoat which is the most involved process which requires (depending on the finish youre looking for) a lot of fine detailed wet sanding. Youll need paint+reducer, clearcoat+reducer+hardener

second option is to buy a paint that has the clearcoat already in it (forget the name of it though...) so when you lay it down its already shiny, good for quick jobs, comes out nice. This paint you mix reducer as well as hardener into the paint. I took this option when i was fixing some rust on my moms car, just stripped area, primered and shot the paint and you couldnt tell it from the factory finish. This is a more economical option
    **first two option require paint gun and compressor obviously***

third option is they sell quality paint from a spray can, basically option 2 above in a spray can (about 18$ can). I know a couple of friends that went this route and when you prep your piece really nicely the finish is beautiful, 1 can will do those 2 fairings

With all options they can exact match paint for your fairing, just bring it to them.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by kickars; 10-19-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone, I really appreciate it. I have just a couple more questions.

My bike is an 07 so I will be ordering from Colorite in Quebec to ensure it will match my bike perfectly. My questions:

1. Can you still reduce a metallic paint?

2. Should I strip the existing paint, or an even sanding on the whole fairing (what grit would you suggest?) then wipe it down to ensure its very clean.

Thanks,
    Jason

1. Yes. The paint should come with information on the correct ratio of paint to reducer.

2. No need to strip the existing paint but you need to sand the *entire* surface, every nook and cranny. 300-ish grit should be enough before primer.

Draiter

Hey man,
    If you are looking for high end stuff... check out... www.fantasyfinishes.com
    Great Lakes Autobody Supplies and Finishes
    25 Maywood Ave.
    St. Catharines, Ontario L2R 1C5
    Tel: (905)-685-4455 Fax: (905)-685-4466

OR check out

Painters Supply & Equipment (Canada) Write a review
    266 Rutherford S
    Brampton, ON L6W 3X3, Canada

(905) 456-2760

Half pint is MORE than enough... What colour are you going to paint it????
    The first place I listed will colour match any paint for you.. and their prices are STELLAR....

Draiter

Urethane from Colorrite is reduced 1:1 ........ You can even scuff the stock paint with a scotch-brite pad , but do it thoroughly and make sure to wipe everything down with a wax and silicone remover before AND after scuffing..... blow it off with compressed air and tack it off before applying your paint/primer etc..... good luck, Les

and Yes , you can reduce a metallic paint, no problem......
    Last edited by cheekeebandito; 10-25-2007 at 06:20 PM. Reason: na

You bring a Ducati to life, all other bikes you just start......

current ride: 2005 DUCATI Monster S4R

for paint or plastic repair inquiries, email me direct: booth_1@sympatico.ca