Mileage on a used bike?

Thread: Mileage on a used bike?

Mileage on a used bike?

Ok.So it looks like I will need to CONSIDER a used bike since it
    doesn't look like 2006 Hyosung 650 s/t I was eyeing isn't getting much love here.

What kind of mileage is considered high on a bike?

should the average be 8,000 KM, 10,000, 12,000 per year?

I skimmed through the first time buyer's sticky but didn't see any thing about mileage.

TIA
    Last edited by Kimo62; 10-19-2007 at 03:14 AM. Reason: can't spell sometimes

Re: Mileage on a used bike?

My 2003 Katana will hit 69K tomorrow weather permitting.

Personally I'd be taking both mileage and maintenance records into consideration before forming an opinion on a bike.

Why would you care what the others think? Get the bike you want not the bike we tell you to get.

Milage on a bike isn't really important. Its how the bike was maintained. I've seen bikes with 250+k on them running like new and some with 5k that I would be afraid to take around the block.

My personal average is about 45k a year in the saddle.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Why would you care what the others think? Get the bike you want not the bike we tell you to get.
    I will get the bike I want.The Hyosung is high on the list but......I gotta see my options.A new Hyosung maybe nice, but an older "Better" bike might be cheaper for me,and if it is cheaper.....that just means I can upgrade sooner.

Just looking ahead. It's easy to justify upgrading from a used bike but it won't go over well with the wife if I up grade from a from a new bike.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11.JPG  
    "Fantino has been quoted saying he is "satisfied" with the 41 per cent conviction rate under the new law. I'm glad he's not running a brain surgery school" - Kenzie

Kriptik Riders: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2317743102
    Fighting a Ticket: http://www.roadwarriors.ca/ontario_traffic_tickets_speeding_tickets_tutorial
    http://www.naseinvestors.com
    http://www.jafrum.com

if you get to 10k your bike will go nuclear, LOL

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

anthing under 40 K ill consider buying..

its really up to you...
    i know people who will buy anything with 2 wheels
    others that won't buy with over 10K on the odometer

don't go by km, go by general conditon of bike
    anyone can disconnect the speedo cable & ride forever
    look at the year of bike, the "desirablity" in case of resale, the repairs/maintenance/upgrades done, availability of parts
    average rider puts on 5-10 k per year, use that as a benchmark for over or under useage
    short list the makes, models, & years u want
    Got Torque?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimo62 View Post
    Ok.So it looks like I will need to CONSIDER a used bike since it
    doesn't look like 2006 Hyosung 650 s/t I was eyeing isn't getting much love here.

What kind of mileage is considered high on a bike?

should the average be 8,000 KM, 10,000, 12,000 per year?

I skimmed through the first time buyer's sticky but didn't see any thing about mileage.

TIA
    I personally think you're doing the right thing.
    Your first bike is never the bike you keep a long time because you don't know what you want, like or don't like.
    After riding for a season you will quickly find these out, the longer you ride, the more you can narrow down what exactly you need or want out of a bike.
    After many years you'll find that you know EXACTLY what you want out of a bike, and then you can buy what fits your needs.
    Another point is that there is a high probability that your "first" bike will be dropped (sorry, but true) and having a good used bike with some sliders will save some cash.
    You'll probably only have your first bike for a season or two.
    Either which way, enjoy

And yeah, average bike mileage of around 5-10k per season for most riders.
    As long as it was maintained, it should be no different than a car engine, should last a LONG time.
    Last edited by wtf2; 10-19-2007 at 01:47 PM.
    "If you can't find em, grind em"

Quote Originally Posted by wtf2 View Post
    After riding for a season you will quickly find these out, the longer you ride, the more you can narrow down what exactly you need or want out of a bike.
    took me what 12 years of riding but i finally settled on a dl650 or similar adventure tourer type as my street bike lol. its very true, you first bike is really answers "do i like riding?" "what kind of riding do i do?" "what do i like/dislike in a bike?" "what bike should i now get to match all the above questions?"
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

is't not about milage, but how person got that milage...
    anyone can hurt a fighter not everyone will get a chance to excuse

Yeah if I were buying used I would check out the overall condition of the machine and look at service records, not just go based on mileage. You can really tell a lot about how well the bike was cared for just by looking at the maintenance records.

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose87 View Post
    Yeah if I were buying used I would check out the overall condition of the machine and look at service records, not just go based on mileage. You can really tell a lot about how well the bike was cared for just by looking at the maintenance records.

But who actually keeps records nowadays?
    Most ppl either change stuff themself or go to the shop and toss the reciept a few weeks later..

Most ppl won't keep every single detailed reciept, unless u are planning to sell it..
    if ppl are plannin to sell the bike, then they will ride it hard, really hard.

only buy bikes from ppl that intended to keep the bike, and not make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIGGA View Post
    But who actually keeps records nowadays?
    Most ppl either change stuff themself or go to the shop and toss the reciept a few weeks later..

Most ppl won't keep every single detailed reciept, unless u are planning to sell it..
    if ppl are plannin to sell the bike, then they will ride it hard, really hard.

only buy bikes from ppl that intended to keep the bike, and not make a profit.
    I think you're wrong. That could be the case for some people, but I would say most people do not buy a bike, ride it really hard for a season or two and then sell it to try and make a profit, most things depreciate, not appreciate. This also has to do with the character of the seller though. Personally, I think at least some maintenance records are very important, especially with big things (engine work like valves). Small things like tire tread wear and brake wear can be inspected right then and there. I would forgive a lack of maintenance records if the person genuinely seemed to be nice and was telling me the truth about the bike, but if they seemed a bit shady I would either want records or most likely I'd look at another bike.

Roaring_Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose87 View Post
    Personally, I think at least some maintenance records are very important, especially with big things (engine work like valves).
    +1

One question though...Can a dealer bring up past service records if the seller cannot provide them? For example, if the bike had a number of previous owners and whatever service records that were obtained did not make it with your transaction.

Thanks

Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Roaring_Lion View Post
    +1

One question though...Can a dealer bring up past service records if the seller cannot provide them? For example, if the bike had a number of previous owners and whatever service records that were obtained did not make it with your transaction.

Thanks

Lion
    They could probably pull up work orders based on the VIN, but only within a certain amount of time. One thing to keep in mind is what if they take it to different shops? You'd have to go to all of them to see if they had the records.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

You don't want anything with too low a mileage on it either.

That just means its been sitting around in someone's garage or backyard being neglected.

I guess I'll need to take someone with knowledge on bikes. As a first timer I wouldn't know the first thing to look for on a bike.

I mean. I don't know how hard a person rode the bike from the tread on their tires or the sound of the bike.Asthetically I could look for things but mechanically I wouldn't even know where to look.

Sorry for the questions?

I suspect I will have a few more though.
    Last edited by Kimo62; 10-21-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Read this. It will help you a lot (it's long, I know. Don't be overwhelmed you can kinda skim and you'll get a lot out of it still), and I'm sure if you ask you can find someone who is willing to help you look at a couple of bikes for the right incentive (usually coffee or breakfast/lunch)