tuneup: before or after winter?

Thread: tuneup: before or after winter?

tuneup: before or after winter?

Hey,
    My bike is coming up to the 500km mark (brand new) - so I should have it looked at soon.
    Do you think it's best to have a tuneup before winter, or after?
    Thanks!

Re: tuneup: before or after winter?

YEAR MAKE AND MODEL PLEASE!

Define tune up?
    Oil and filter, or plugs, valves and airfilter?
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

It's a 2007 Yamaha Virago 250cc.
    The tuneup would just be a general check-over, but also a few adjustments: carb and sparkplugs might need some work (the bike idles too slow & dies easily). Definitely driveable, so should I wait until after winter, or have it looked at before?

I would get it done now when the dealership mechanics are slow rather than wait for the spring rush.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Do an oil change before you store it away for the winter. Ride it next spring until you get to the first service interval and then take it in for it's scheduled check up.

Have you tried increasing the idle speed of your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by siren71 View Post
    It's a 2007 Yamaha Virago 250cc.
    The tuneup would just be a general check-over, but also a few adjustments: carb and sparkplugs might need some work (the bike idles too slow & dies easily). Definitely driveable, so should I wait until after winter, or have it looked at before?
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianZ View Post
    I would get it done now when the dealership mechanics are slow rather than wait for the spring rush.
    +1, it's not like the valves/carbs/plugs and gonna go out of sync/adjust/spec while being stored.

I did it last year & plan on doing it again this year.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Roaring_Lion

A little advice...

I recently bought a '90 suzuki katana 600 with 39,XXX Kms, I don't plan on riding it 'till next year but I beat it up and down my street for practice purposes.

Now the cold weather is creaping slowly, so I want to give her a lot of TLC before I put her away...

My question is this...

What is the best "First-time service" I could give the bike? I have the service manual, but don't know where to start. (I do intend on researching the steps for winterizing)

I just want the least amount of trouble when getting ready for the road

Thanks in advance

Lion

Find out from the previous owner what the last service was. If the bike just had a service then you should be fine by just following standard winterization techniques. If not, then check your service manual to see what needs done at you km's and do it and then winterize.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaring_Lion View Post
    A little advice...

I recently bought a '90 suzuki katana 600 with 39,XXX Kms, I don't plan on riding it 'till next year but I beat it up and down my street for practice purposes.

Now the cold weather is creaping slowly, so I want to give her a lot of TLC before I put her away...

My question is this...

What is the best "First-time service" I could give the bike? I have the service manual, but don't know where to start. (I do intend on researching the steps for winterizing)

I just want the least amount of trouble when getting ready for the road

Thanks in advance

Lion
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

dori

I am no authority on the mater but I will chime in anyway: idle... just play around with the idle screw to get it in spec while at a red light (it will be the proper heated engine time to adjust... can never warm it up properly in the garage).

As for valves/carbs, etc. I bought mine used and I think it didn't have any adjustments for 2 years (not ridden much by the previous owner though) and I put 1500+ km in a month and a bit and it runs beautifully... now I have a feeling I should get it looked at as the timing/valves might be off... the time between the ticks alternates between big small big small sort of thing but a little more erratic (less noticeable when properly warmed up). Valves aren't hammering nor burning I don't think. Sorry for dumping my bike's condition in this post