Cars that can tow? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cars that can tow?

Re: Cars that can tow?

Chevy Equinox? Nissan Murano? Or what about something like the Canyon/Colorado? It's a small pick-up with a 5 cylinder engine that could tow your trailer no sweat.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    "I'm guessing the loaded weight is 2,500 - 3,000 pounds."

That must be some trailer. Two 600 sport bike weigh no more than 1000#. I have one of those Snow Bear trailers that will hold 3 bikes no problem, the trailer weighs 660#.

I just pulled a 26ft float with a '67 Coronet on it with a Safari. Other than the trailer brakes didn't work there was no problems.
    If you get a "little" car be sure to get a trailer with at least surge brakes. Little cars will pull a trailer... but they're not great at stopping them.
    Maybe my math is wrong. I seem to remember my trailer is around 500kg empty, which is about 1100lb. Throw a couple of bikes on there (litre sportbikes or BMW touring bikes), with tools and gas, and I have to think I'm adding another 1500 pounds. Maybe I'm wrong and overestimating the weight of the bikes?

--- D

but +1 on the turbo diesels, that's what they're for... torque, longevity, and good fuel mileage. a pre owned VW passat TDI wagon, lots of storage and towing capacity, will get the job done... now a V10 TDI touareg, now that's the one to get!
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º> ´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

BTW, I took my blurbs from a list that Edmunds posted back in 2004 so there may be some more uptodate info out there... http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...6/article.html

If you're looking at used, that list would still be relevant though.

Any car will pull a bike or 2. They weigh the same as pulling around 5 chubby guys-you wouldn't have a problem puttng 5 fat friends in a car would ya? No, sorry fata$$es...your'e too heavy for my Subaru-get out and walk,LOL

I had a 1992 Diesel VW Jetta (59 hp) and installed a class 1 U Haul hitch.
    I towed a CBR 600 and an FZR 600 on a lightweight open trailer many times to Deals Gap, daytona Bike Week, and Myrtle Beach. It easily did 70 mph on level ground, and got 40+ mpg even pulling the trailer with both bikes on it.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

DeeCBR

u know they underate the towing capabilities of cars to protect their ***** from lawsuits. most cars can tow atleast 500-700lbs more than their rating.

v6 rav4 or the accent

I'd vote for a Subaru. I had a Forester for 9 years and it was a great car. The fact that all models have AWD is a nice touch since that's a criteria for me in a vehicle. It's tow capacity isn't as high as a full size truck but with a standard you can get torque when you need it, it drives and performs like a car, and is fuel fiendly.
    Jason

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you! After much research and a test drive to back it up the RAV4 with the V6 is the way to go. It has a 3500LBS towing capacity with pretty decent fuel mileage. The V6 is available from 06 onward.
    Look, lean, believe!

I use a '97 Talon to tow 2 dirt bikes and gear in a trailer with a total weight of around 1200 pounds. It tows the bikes without too much difficulty, but of course the mileage suffers a bit and I find myself using full throttle on hills. The owners manual lists the car as having zero towing capacity. Year ago I towed a similar trailer with 2 bikes using a '76 Pinto and had no problems. Both cars were standard transmission, and this is key. Any time you are planning on using a smaller car for towing and exceeding the maximum capacity look for a standard transmission. An automatic will get very hot and and the overstressed clutch packs will eventually fail. Some larger vehicles offer a towing package that includes hitch, wiring and heavy duty transmission cooler if an automatic is specified.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Quote Originally Posted by twowheelchic View Post
    RAV4 has a car engine and has 3500 lbs of towing capacity.. that's my choice.
    Only the V6 has that much towing capacity....... and yes, that's a good choice for towing and not upgrading to some massive SUV/Truck.