Wind!

Thread: Wind!

Wind!

Holly crap, I almost blew right over tonight. Scared the crap out me! I am assuming a heavier bike holds up better in the wind?
    Last edited by Moto-zaika; 10-17-2007 at 08:29 PM.
    Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Re: Wind!

Yes, there's more to get pushed around and they resist a little bit better.
    Assuming you don't have a huge Harley Fairing on the front.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

you get used to it. Scared the crap outta me the first time too, but now it barely fazes me.
    Mikey-D - Ottawa

"And yes, this is a site for people who ride bikes. But we don't ride bikes on this site. You can't ride a bike on the internet. On this site, we WRITE and READ about motorcycles." --Duster929

yeah... you gotta watch out for wind tunnels... 400 is the worst for that!

I have yet to experience passing freighters on the hwy, but after tonight's wind experience, I'm starting to second guess taking my somewhat light bike on the 400 series hwys. I can only imagine how much scarier it would be being blown into the path of an 18 wheeler.
    Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Don't sweat it, just build some more confidence on non-windy days and you'll be ready for the challenge.

Just like the first time your rear tire starts to slide, or your front, the first few make you **** your pants, but the rest of them don't even phase you, they just put a bigger smile on your face!...or maybe I just need to slow down...I dunno

lol.... i remember when i got behind a truck on the 401 east, and we were going about 130.. its a nice wind tunnel to be in, you suddenly loose all the noise from the wind, you feel more relaxed.......
    BUT when i got back to reality, i cant stay behind a truck! lol
    so as soon as i change lanes, i get this HUGE amount of wind going towards me.. lol, i had to hold on to my gas tank and my handles soooo hard to stay on the bike!
    if speed doesnt scare you, the truck around the corner will.

2002 Suzuki TL1000R - Current
    2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000 - Stolen
    2000 Suzuki GSXR 750 - Sold
    1995 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R - Sold

On my little Honda 350 back in the 70's I would stay behind trucks on very windy days to save gas.
    You will get buffeted a lot, but for the most part it's just side to side.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Talking Re: Wind!

Quote Originally Posted by Moto-zaika View Post
    Holly crap, I almost blew right over tonight. Scared the **** out me! I am assuming a heavier bike holds up better in the wind?

Heavier bikes can make a difference, but if the wind is REALLY bad...no difference. I've ridden on days where the wind moved the back tire on me and, as you put it "Scared the **** out me!".

You'll find with more experience, it'll take alot more wind to bother you. My first day riding on the road was windy. I was SOOO nervous, knees hugging the tank SOOO tight, holding on for dear life, trying not to get blown into on coming traffic. I was SOOO sore that I couldn't get off of the bike. Now, after 4yrs and 52,000km, I ride in all different types of weather no problem; hence my name

So give it time...and enjoy the ride!