strong gasoline smell

Thread: strong gasoline smell

strong gasoline smell

My bike has an extremely strong gasoline smell coming from it. It happens while I'm sitting at a light, and I can also smell it while its sitting in my garage.
    It has such a strong smell, that someone at work told me my bike is leaking fuel.

Now, I've checked for the obvious, its not leaking gas. The engine and everything around the bike is bone dry. The next thing I will check when I have time (mid terms this week) are the various beather hoses coming from the air filter.

I'm probably due for a new air filter, but I dont think that will cause such a strong smell when its sitting for a day or two.

Can anyone give me suggestions as to what I should be looking for?

Thank you very much

Re: strong gasoline smell

Don't know it this will help but the late 90's gsxr's were notorious for having leaks around the fuel pump in the bottom of the tank. I had the same symptoms, I could smell gas but couldn't find a leak, until a friend with the same bike told me to check around the pump gasket. I only found the problem after I lifted the tank and felt around the seal. I don't know if SV's have a similar setup. Good luck.
    Last edited by mikem; 10-15-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    Don't know it this will help but the late 90's gsxr's were notorious for having leaks around the fuel pump in the bottom of the tank. I had the same symptoms, I could smell gas but couldn't find a leak, until a friend with the same bike told me to check around the pump gasket. I only found the problem after I lifted the tank and felt around the seal. I don't know if SV's have a similar setup. Good luck.
    thanks for the info, i'll take a look

o **** for real, mines been doing the same thing but i didnt think anything of it, couldnt see no leaks or anything, hmm looks like ill take a look

my SV use to smell gas. problem was stuck needle... Took carbs apart, cleaned everything inside. Now have no problems with that smell. Once it smell gas, but the problem was return tube. Forgot to connect it It was easy to find
    anyone can hurt a fighter not everyone will get a chance to excuse