Radar Detector Law

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radar Detector Law

Radar Detector Law

So the radar detector law is retarded in ontario. Basically you can transport one in your car in a sealed package if you bought it from a manufacturer. But you cannot selling them nor offer to sell or advertise (somehow this law doesn't seem right, I wish I were lawyer to challenge that infringement on my right to free enterprise.

you cannot have one hooked up to your vehicle obviously but the fine from what I've been told is only around $100 to $300 so even combine that with the $400 you'll lose when the RD is confiscated....

$500 to $700 loss with Radar Detector (if caught)

$3000+ fine/impound without Radar Detector.

Anyone wanna do a group buy?

and lol @ those who say don't exceed the speed limit. If you've ever shifted out of first gear you've exceeded the speed limit. I don't condone retardation with the throttle but I also don't like the police state we're becoming. Roadside trials, HUGE unreasonable fines.

What I find really interesting is there appears to be no part regarding 'jammers' or any device which interferes in the operation of such devices. You could legally send a huge electric pulse (if it were possible) and burn the thing to smithereeens and that's legal but if you 'monitor' it then your guilty. Stupid government
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Re: Radar Detector Law

What I find really interesting is there appears to be no part regarding 'jammers' or any device which interferes in the operation of such devices.
    Laser jammers are legal in Ontario. Thankfully McQuinty et al haven't found a way to legislate light waves yet, but no doubt they're working on it.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Angry Re: Radar Detector Law

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    Laser jammers are legal in Ontario. Thankfully McQuinty et al haven't found a way to legislate light waves yet, but no doubt they're working on it.
    Stupid McGuinty

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Asparagus

were did you hear that laser jammers are legal...and do you know of any that sell on there own without the detector built in??

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    were did you hear that laser jammers are legal...and do you know of any that sell on there own without the detector built in??
    Laser electronics are regulated federally, as such the province can't draft legislation that trumps federal jurisdiction (i.e. communications). There is provincial law against buying or selling articles that have clear intent on avoiding or obstructing somesuch. So buying laser jammers in Ontario is an iffy proposition. You can buy them in the states and legally bring them in, though most pigs that pull you over will probaly confiscate it anyway and you get an enjoyable 8 week ordeal trying to get it back.

Here's a start on laser jammers:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewforum.php?f=4
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Bought a $39.00 radar detector in Florida, Walmart i think. This has saved my a.. a few times. It came with radar detector, detector. Even if i get caught with it, $170.00 dollar fine, $39.00 loss, compared to $2000.00 fine. license suspension, and impound fee's. priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by alkaline nine View Post
    Bought a $39.00 radar detector in Florida, Walmart i think. This has saved my a.. a few times. It came with radar detector, detector. Even if i get caught with it, $170.00 dollar fine, $39.00 loss, compared to $2000.00 fine. license suspension, and impound fee's. priceless.
    It's also 3 points.... depending on your insurance company your cost/benefit calculation may be skewed.

Dont get too cocky with a $39 detector.... the radar detector detector doesnt work on the Spectre which the Ont Leos use. The Spectre on the other hand will pick it up at about 1km.

Also, its range may not be that good on the Ka bands... but hey more power too you
    Last edited by spankayf; 10-14-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Now it appears they have the right to search your vehicle without a warrant if they suspect you have an RD. Can they tow your vehicle to have it ripped apart? Do you have to take off everything ie. fairings, seat, tank etc.?

OFAH member

Si|ver Bu||et

thats assuming that u get caught going less than 50

Quote Originally Posted by alkaline nine View Post

I woudn't bother with detector. Instant-on lasers will beat anything... they wait untill you are in the "crosshairs" to actuate it, by the time your detector warns you, it's too late. And laser beam doesn't scatter so you probably won't get an early warning when they target other drivers ahead.
    Besides, it gives you false sense of securty - you can still get busted by stealthy cruiser pacing you, from above (plane, chopper) or some old fart calling OPP from his buick...

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Now it appears they have the right to search your vehicle without a warrant if they suspect you have an RD. Can they tow your vehicle to have it ripped apart? Do you have to take off everything ie. fairings, seat, tank etc.?
    "Now it appears"? That has been around for more than 20 years. You just now getting to it? And no, you do not have to take anything off, they will do it for you.

i once got pulled over and my radar detector taken from me.

Cop was like "I have reason to suspect you have a radar detector in operation in your vechile."

Me: interesting... carry on

Cop: I have the authority to resonably search your vechile
    Me: reasonably?
    Cop: yah... like im not gonna jack ur car up and look under it, but i can take a peak around the inside. I'll tell you right now, I'm almost positive you have one, so one way or another im gonna search your car. If im wrong then you're ok, if Im right and find it, well.... you can fill in the rest"

Me: (laughing) well in that case.... here you go....

So, I avoided the hassle and turned it over to him.... no ticket, nothing... I just lost the radar detector...

He was one of the good cops I suppose, but man... do i miss that radar detector...

So right now, if I am caught using a radar detector/ jammer, whats the maximum fine I can face?

Quote Originally Posted by bear22099 View Post
    "Now it appears"? That has been around for more than 20 years. You just now getting to it? And no, you do not have to take anything off, they will do it for you.

It was a phrase, way to go Capt. Literacy.

OFAH member

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    i once got pulled over and my radar detector taken from me.

Cop was like "I have reason to suspect you have a radar detector in operation in your vechile."

Me: interesting... carry on

Cop: I have the authority to resonably search your vechile
    Me: reasonably?
    Cop: yah... like im not gonna jack ur car up and look under it, but i can take a peak around the inside. I'll tell you right now, I'm almost positive you have one, so one way or another im gonna search your car. If im wrong then you're ok, if Im right and find it, well.... you can fill in the rest"

Me: (laughing) well in that case.... here you go....

So, I avoided the hassle and turned it over to him.... no ticket, nothing... I just lost the radar detector...

He was one of the good cops I suppose, but man... do i miss that radar detector...

So right now, if I am caught using a radar detector/ jammer, whats the maximum fine I can face?

The section of the HTA said minimum $100, maximum $1000 for a speed measuring device. But the concensus is laser jammers are completely legal. Most people i've talked to who've received tickets its been on the extreme lower end like $150

OFAH member

Quote Originally Posted by Twig View Post
    I woudn't bother with detector. Instant-on lasers will beat anything... they wait untill you are in the "crosshairs" to actuate it, by the time your detector warns you, it's too late. And laser beam doesn't scatter so you probably won't get an early warning when they target other drivers ahead.
    Besides, it gives you false sense of securty - you can still get busted by stealthy cruiser pacing you, from above (plane, chopper) or some old fart calling OPP from his buick...
    Laser jammers "confuse" the laser so it won't display a reading right away. The jammer will warn you of the lidar and give you a chance to slow down. Hopefully by the time there is a reading, you have slowed down enough.

So I'm curious, have any of you guys tried to fool a cop by having two detectors in your car - like carrying a 50 dollar cheapo, and an expensive one. So when you're caught, you pass off the cheapie and the cop buys it?

Or is that just too easy an idea to beat the system a bit?

I'm not really a speed demon who needs radar protection, but I've always had that idea in my head that if I was to use one, that'd be the best way to protect an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Laser jammers "confuse" the laser so it won't display a reading right away. The jammer will warn you of the lidar and give you a chance to slow down. Hopefully by the time there is a reading, you have slowed down enough.
    Wouldn't that make the trapper MORE suspicious? If there was an unusual delay or confusion in the lidar response and the vehicle being timed is sporty, even Dr. Watson could solve the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Royson View Post
    So I'm curious, have any of you guys tried to fool a cop by having two detectors in your car - like carrying a 50 dollar cheapo, and an expensive one. So when you're caught, you pass off the cheapie and the cop buys it?

Or is that just too easy an idea to beat the system a bit?

I'm not really a speed demon who needs radar protection, but I've always had that idea in my head that if I was to use one, that'd be the best way to protect an investment.
    Jeez we're giving way too much away to the Leos on this thread!

But if the Leo picked up the RD on a Spectre he knows its been running so it should be warm to the touch.

Seriously ... you're trading off the risk of speeding vs the risk of getting caught with an RD.

Bel Sti .. I hate to keep giving Bel plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Wouldn't that make the trapper MORE suspicious? If there was an unusual delay or confusion in the lidar response and the vehicle being timed is sporty, even Dr. Watson could solve the mystery.
    There's alot of factors that go into the laser acquiring a lock.

Black streamlined vehicles are harder to pick up the white shiny perpendicular ones, the gun has to be held steady (maybe the Leo passes gas at a key moment, sun reflecting back to the gun, another vehicle or object interrupts beam, the beam isnt squarely on the vehicle, fog, snow, humidity, dirt on the car front end, nose bra, etc etc etc

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

My friend moved here from BC. He was ****** that he couldn't use his radar detector. I don't know why we have this stupid law in Ontario.