strechin a rear swing arm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strechin a rear swing arm

strechin a rear swing arm

i am lookin at the bolt on exteneded swing arm for my GSXR and was wonderin if any one has them or has used them i would like the pros and cons of the extened swing arm or should i just buy a ewxtened swing arm? and if so where can i get one at a good price not a arm and a leg

Re: strechin a rear swing arm

Well, if you are just riding straight line the bolt on's should be fine as long as you are not running any huge power adder's like a turbo or nitrous. But you will be ruining the handling characteristics of a great track bike.

so is ther any bads to the bolt on extened swing arm

I have heard "rumour/internet babble" of them breaking. I can't see a manufacturer, especially stateside, selling a product which may cause injury or death by defect. I imagine if you were jumping over school buses it would not hold up. Are you going for looks or are you trying to keep the front end down while drag racing?

Quote Originally Posted by 750R View Post
    so is ther any bads to the bolt on extened swing arm

As far as strength?
    No
    Just use LOTS of lock tight
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

I have heard of cases where bolt-on swingarm extensions have caused the original swingarm to crack or bend. On newer sport bikes, the original design is closer to the strength limits than it was in the old days, and putting swingarm extensions imposes stresses that the original swingarm was not designed for. Longer swingarms, whether bolt-on or complete replacement, always put more stress into the suspension attachment points, because the longer arm acts like a longer lever.

As far as why these items are sold ... this is not Europe; the risk is largely on the end user. Most of the companies that manufacture such things are too small to be worth suing in the event of a failure. (Can't get blood out of a stone.)

Longer swingarms will always impair the handling of the bike. Slower steering, less weight transfer to the rear when exiting corners resulting in loss of rear end grip, etc.

Stuff like this is drag-race-use only.

thanks i know about the steerin and that thanks though.I am strechin it for the look and was wonderin which would be stromger (safer ) less hassle thanks for all the input and KEEP IT COMEIN need all i can get PS it will be a daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi-Roku View Post
    As far as strength?
    No
    Just use LOTS of lock tight
    so what are the bads to bolt on extened swing arms?

I run a 10inch over swingarm on my 1988 gsxr 7/11. Its a daily rider, no real issues with handling, it still navigates the bends quite quickly. My swingarm had a 10 inch section welded into it. I didn't use extentions for cosmetic looks, they were skinner than the arm. I've got a set of extentions of a drag bike that was pushing 300hp+, but i don't think they would fit yours, mines are old skool gsxr. I know lots or racers who use extentions. Lots of swingarm builders in the U.S. Prices can go from 350.00 and up. Pm me if you want some names. peace

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alkaline nine View Post
    I run a 10inch over swingarm on my 1988 gsxr 7/11. Its a daily rider, no real issues with handling, it still navigates the bends quite quickly.
    Compared to what? A limo?

More postive advice, and experience from the expert, a true biker

is there any one else out there who has a opinion on strechin a swing arm

is there any one else out there who has a opinion on strechin a swing arm
    Are you waiting to hear someone say "yeah, awesome idea" ? Because it's not, unless you will be drag racing. For a street bike, you won't be able to turn as well, you will put extra stress on your bike, and you will look like a poseur. I'm sorry if this is harsh, but it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by FZR 400 View Post
    Are you waiting to hear someone say "yeah, awesome idea" ? Because it's not, unless you will be drag racing. For a street bike, you won't be able to turn as well, you will put extra stress on your bike, and you will look like a poseur. I'm sorry if this is harsh, but it is true.
    Who gives a **** if its harsh its the damn truth!

All I can do is laugh when I see a streached and lowered 600 with only cosmetic mods on the street.....

thanks for ur opinions just doin something diffrent u dnt like it well i dnt give a SH$% keep ur opinion off my post now and thanks in advance

thanks for ur opinions just doin something diffrent u dnt like it well i dnt give a SH$% keep ur opinion off my post now and thanks in advance
    Buddy, you ASKED REPEATEDLY for opinions, and you got them.

Dont forget to get some chrome grips to really take advantage of that streaching!

Also since your all about the look, make sure you keep your runners blingin too

Hey buddy, if you want stretch it, do it. Do it yourself,and have something different, no harm in that. No point in stretching a 400 or 600 moped. People are probably right on that. peace out

Too funny, asked over and over for opinions, then he gets one and takes offence, just move to Florida, you will blend right in.

PS, let the flaming commence!!!!!!!