How much will 50km speeding cost? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How much will 50km speeding cost?

Re: How much will 50km speeding cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Check some of the online magazines and, especially, the print Brit mags. Many of them do zero - to - 60 - to - zero tests.
    Do you know any references?

Quote Originally Posted by DUPPY View Post
    None specifically (I looked for them for a couple of minutes and couldn't find any today), by I recall BIKE Magazine publishing this stat from time to time. I even recall a test of a car vs. bike from a few years back.

*EDIT* My somewhat vague recollection is that the bike beat the car by a sizable margin, but that was because of the insane acceleration that a bike has. I believe that the braking distance of the car was shorter.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 10-16-2007 at 04:11 PM.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

None specifically (I looked for them for a couple of minutes and couldn't find any today), by I recall BIKE Magazine publishing this stat from time to time. I even recall a test of a car vs. bike from a few years back.

*EDIT* My somewhat vague recollection is that the bike beat the car by a sizable margin, but that was because of the insane acceleration that a bike has. I believe that the braking distance of the car was shorter.
    Ok thanks I'll see what I can find.

There was actually an article in Sport Rider or Racer magazine or something a while ago about that. They said that most magazines will not test braking, as there are way too many variables. Like I said, with a car, push the pedal down and wait. With a bike, mechanical grip is huge, as are riders teste size. And they figured they'd lay too many bikes down from threshold braking. You can check, but I'll be surprised (pleasantly) if you find some braking numbers.

However, I think most would be surprised at the cornering speeds of crappy little K-car types, compared to bikes. That's how significant the difference is. 4 flat tires sharing the weight is way more than just adding 2 bike tires to a bike. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Toyota Echo carry the same corner speed as an R6 through a turn.

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    compare apples to apples....relativly speeking. don't compare an R6 to a clapped out k-car. good cars, with good rubber can pull more g's in conners then bikes can. they have bigger contact patches and have more rubber on the ground relative to thier weight then a bike.
    But that's exactly the point, as 99% of cars on the road are NOT good cars with good tires. They are heavy, family sedans and SUVs with no-season tires and soft suspensions. Bikes (I am of course talking about supersports, not cruisers) WILL handle better and stop faster than those cars.

I actually tried this out. I drive an 01 Prelude w/ good summer tires and I ride an 05 SV650 w/ Metzler M3s. I took a corner in my Prelude and remembered the speed at which the car started sliding. Then I tried it on my SV, and at that speed I still had plenty of grip and room to lean. The limiting factor was that the speed was already stupidly fast, I did not want to lose my license on the spot.

In race conditions, cars will win hands down. But on the streets I doubt you'll see either a RC211v or a Ferrari F1 car.

2001 Dodge Neon R/T - 60-0 in 122 feet

Anyone have a bike stat to compare to yet?

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

2001 Dodge Neon R/T - 60-0 in 122 feet

Anyone have a bike stat to compare to yet?
    They did a mean machines show comparing the Triumph rocket III to the Harley V-rod in a stopping contest (among other contests) although that would be a heaviest case scenerio but I searched and couldn't find the numbers. I'm sure a modern SS can stop well before 122 feet.

******Just realized Rob meant 60miles not Km's so yes 122feet is hard to beat. lol
    Last edited by AdRath; 10-17-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Didn't realize miles not Km's

Is anyone here a member of R1-forum.com? Someone posted a pic of a Road and Track article on the subject, but I can't see the attachment without joining that forum about inferior motorcycles

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44201

Post # 11.

Sport Rider did a braking test on a Bandit 600 and an expert rider managed a stop in 146 feet from 60 MPH, using both front and rear brakes to near lock-up.

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_9...ips/index.html
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 10-17-2007 at 01:40 PM.

I found some interesting articles about test instruments for bikes, but no actual data. However that 122' does'nt sound hard to beat at all, it must be on the mid-high end of stopping distances.

Here's a stat for 2004 Porsche Cayenne S...braking from 70 mph in 181 feet.

Was that stat for the neon in miles or kph???

I found some interesting articles about test instruments for bikes, but no actual data. However that 122' does'nt sound hard to beat at all, it must be on the mid-high end of stopping distances.
    See above. A hopped-up Neon does 122 feet. That distance is surprisingly short, when you pace it out. A Bandit 600 (roughly the motorcycle equivalent of a VW Jetta) manages 146 feet on the stock S/T tires, in the hands of an expert. That's roughly two additional Neon-lengths.

Here's a stat for 2004 Porsche Cayenne S...braking from 70 mph in 181 feet.

Was that stat for the neon in miles or kph???
    Miles. I should have posted the link. Finding it now.

*EDIT* Here you go: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=46243

Test on abs equipped motorcycle stopping distances:

http://www.msf-usa.org/imsc/proceedi...ngDistance.pdf

Miles. I should have posted the link. Finding it now.

*EDIT* Here you go: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=46243
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Sacrilicious

2003 CBR 600RR,
    60-0 125 feet
    Cycle World , May '03

122' is surprisingly hard to beat (ie, an Elise is about 119', and Enzo is 109' [sportcompactcar, R&T, respectively]) and I suspect this number is a bit off... especially since most results are on stock tires.

Cars definitely have the advantage though.

And as I mentioned before, those car results are remarkably easy to duplicate / repeat. Simply stand on the brakes and wait for your ride to end. Accelerate, repeat as desired.

As for the bike numbers, they are in a best case scenario, by an extremely skilled rider. As many who ride tracks can attest, braking is one of the hardest things to do effectively on a bike.

On a bike, add in some evasive manoeuvers, and it's quite a skill (feat of luck on the road). Again, a car with ABS, push brake pedal through firewall, and drive around obstruction while still bending brake pedal.

Just throwing it out there but with the size of a bike its easier to miss objects with a smaller 'swerve' than a car. There have been many times on the street I have been able to avoid something on my bike that would have been a sure thing accident in my car even though my car would have stopped faster or used ABS etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    Just throwing it out there but with the size of a bike its easier to miss objects with a smaller 'swerve' than a car. There have been many times on the street I have been able to avoid something on my bike that would have been a sure thing accident in my car even though my car would have stopped faster or used ABS etc.
    +1....

Try riding the line between lanes when some jackass decides he is coming into your lane in an SUV or sedan.