leathers for first time rider...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leathers for first time rider...

leathers for first time rider...

hey guys im going to be getting a ninja 500 next season and i was wondering whether it would be better to get a full one peice suit or just get a jacket and wear jeans for my first year. Because i dont care about how hot its going to be id rather be safe and keep the skin on my *** if i fall. also wheres a good place that sells them because not alot of places carry my size im like 5'4 140 lbs thanks guys

Re: leathers for first time rider...

Quote Originally Posted by italstallion View Post
    hey guys im going to be getting a ninja 500 next season and i was wondering whether it would be better to get a full one peice suit or just get a jacket and wear jeans for my first year. Because i dont care about how hot its going to be id rather be safe and keep the skin on my *** if i fall. also wheres a good place that sells them because not alot of places carry my size im like 5'4 140 lbs thanks guys
    leathers for sure! i don't get on the bike without my 2piece suit! and i've got nothing, not even scratch or a bruise from my 3 crashes

as for where to go...what's ur budget and what size jacket(like dress suit) do u wear?
    AM#98

2004 GSX-R600
    2006 300C AWD HEMI
    2008 Porsche 987s
    ----------------------
    Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Banned

sounds like two piece leathers. pannts and jacket with a full round zipper would be a good compromise between the two

For street use 2 piece sounds more practical. Great time to be buying - both the December and more particularly the January exhibitions will have great prices (see other posts about when these are on).

my chest size is 35-36 inchesand my waist is 30 and id prefer one peice over two my budget is around $700-800

I would go with a 2 piece for sure. Its easier if your going out somewhere on the bike too, not just riding. I usually only ride in jeans but they dont offer much protection and I've read a bunch of stories about people getting pieces of denim grinded into their wounds.

my chest size is 35-36 inchesand my waist is 30 and id prefer one peice over two my budget is around $700-800
    good choice! that way u can't cheat and not wear the pants...u got a good budget u can probably pick up an alpinestar for that price and they should fit u just fine! make sure u try on the suits, sizes are different depending on brands...also make sure u get a good pair of boots! usually neglected but is very important to have good comfort feel and protection...
    AM#98

2004 GSX-R600
    2006 300C AWD HEMI
    2008 Porsche 987s
    ----------------------

How many people do you see on a nice sunny day wearing no gloves also?

If you find something you really like you might want to look into buying it in Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by XLOR8T View Post
    good choice! that way u can't cheat and not wear the pants...u got a good budget u can probably pick up an alpinestar for that price and they should fit u just fine! make sure u try on the suits, sizes are different depending on brands...also make sure u get a good pair of boots! usually neglected but is very important to have good comfort feel and protection...
    yeah i dont wanna be like oh i dont have time to put on the pants because it will save my *** literally lol this way ill have to make time or else take the car lol....is there any shops around here that i would get a deal on if i were to buy the helmet gloves boots and suit from..... helmets usually vary from what 400-500 dollars???and yes ill be getting boots for sure something with a lift hopefully because im so short lol its pretty hard to flatfoot any bike. but im definetely going to get the seat shaved down for me.

I'd recommend a 2pc suit. Much more practical.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dober View Post
    How many people do you see on a nice sunny day wearing no gloves also?

If you find something you really like you might want to look into buying it in Buffalo.
    i would never ride without gloves. hands are way to valuable.

yeah i dont wanna be like oh i dont have time to put on the pants because it will save my *** literally lol this way ill have to make time or else take the car lol....is there any shops around here that i would get a deal on if i were to buy the helmet gloves boots and suit from..... helmets usually vary from what 400-500 dollars???and yes ill be getting boots for sure something with a lift hopefully because im so short lol its pretty hard to flatfoot any bike. but im definetely going to get the seat shaved down for me.
    if u want to get amazing gear at a great price get dainese...they fit like nothing i've tried before and offer SUPERB protection...i've tested them twice at 40-50 and once at 120+ not so much as a bruise! go to rider's choice they are having a winter sale! they got Arai Rx7s for 400 bucks! that's dirt cheap for those helmets! they're on queensway and dixie.
    AM#98

2004 GSX-R600
    2006 300C AWD HEMI
    2008 Porsche 987s
    ----------------------

shaeshae33

What about the "riding" jeans ...they have protection and not as heavy or expensive.... What I like to do is go around and try on the things I like, make a choice and then, can anyone say ebay.... but from being around bikers I always see 2pc. suits

Quote Originally Posted by shaeshae33 View Post
    What about the "riding" jeans ...they have protection and not as heavy or expensive.... What I like to do is go around and try on the things I like, make a choice and then, can anyone say ebay.... but from being around bikers I always see 2pc. suits
    i took the 2 piece for the mere ease of getting in and out of it. i have 2 of them but i'm gonna get a 1pc for the track next season...looking for light custom made suit with my number on the back
    AM#98

2004 GSX-R600
    2006 300C AWD HEMI
    2008 Porsche 987s
    ----------------------

shaeshae33

something else to think of is that if you are in an accident which will be easier for emergency crews to get you out of... sorry, but just a thought..

something else to think of is that if you are in an accident which will be easier for emergency crews to get you out of... sorry, but just a thought..
    yes thats tru but if i was in an accident that severe they can go right ahead and cut up my leather suit down the middle all they want but i see your point.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they'll just cut your leathers off of you either way. Leathers are hard enough to get into, I can't imagine having someone trying to pull me out of them when I'm all busted up.

Yeah, don't take your time with getting pants like I did.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11313031@N05/1445122266/

I was wearing jeans, best guess was about 35km/h, and that was just a tap against the road while....disconnecting from the bike. Thankfully the rest of the slide was on my face and back. Money lost, 1k. Good pants, 500. Accidents happen, and the rest of my gear kept me from any other injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by FZR 400 View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they'll just cut your leathers off of you either way. Leathers are hard enough to get into, I can't imagine having someone trying to pull me out of them when I'm all busted up.
    they usually don't bother cutting the leather as it is easier to use a little sewing tool which i don't know what it's called to cut right down the seems ask the track paramedics they can tell u stories and as for accidents and protection. most mesh/textile type jackets/pants will melt! and that's not a pretty sight! leathers will keep going and going and going and when they are at their limit they will just develop very small holes and that's usually at impact points such as elbows and knees as there is concentrated pressure in one spot and in good leather suits there double layers of leather and armor inside so it surpasses anything else. the tear resistance of leather is also much higher than textile and will keep those broken body parts in place for the paramedics to save things rather than having to find cut pieces to sew back.(sorry for the graphic description)
    AM#98

2004 GSX-R600
    2006 300C AWD HEMI
    2008 Porsche 987s
    ----------------------