leathers for first time rider... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leathers for first time rider...

Re: leathers for first time rider...

I have a 1-pc suit and I ride a little 250. Everybody *was* going down around me last month for a period of a couple weeks, so I went and bought it cause I didn't feel safe riding in jeans.

I don't think it's impractial for the street at all. The first few times will be very difficult for you to put it on or take it off, but you find tricks which speed the process up.

I was also looking at 2-pc suits but it was pointless since the ones I wanted (track use) require a 360 degree zipper which is a pain to zip up or off...so it would just hang around the waist anyways if I plan on stopping at a Tim Hortons for a coffee anyways. A 1-pc is lighter, safer and the same price, so it's obvious.

You also can't just use the top portion of a 2-pc suit since they are usually must shorter then normal riding jackets, leaving you with no protection if you come sliding down the road. Since I already had a jacket, it was obvious what my choice was...

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

A nice cool perforated 1 piece suit in the fall. That offers no wind protection at all
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

hmm...d00dz makes a good point there.. I don't ride so I wouldn't know, but if you have a 2pc suit and the jacket isn't really wearable on its own then you might as well get a 1pc.
    I guess that's something else to look into....
    anyway, my suggestion would be to get a 1 or 2pc suit... no point in riding with jeans since they don't really offer any protection. and whether it's your first or 6th year riding, it's still important to have good protection. It's not like the first time riders can get by with minimal gear.. just my two cents.
    Also, I heard of some Joe Rocket pants that are pretty much as breathable, if not more, than jeans.. if that's your concern during summer days. And they're leather too..

i heard from some guy at the bike show that he lowsided at the track with a 2 piece and ended up lying there in his underwear because the zipper ripped and the pants dragged off.

Quote Originally Posted by aeri View Post
    i heard from some guy at the bike show that he lowsided at the track with a 2 piece and ended up lying there in his underwear because the zipper ripped and the pants dragged off.
    hence why i bought a Dainese and something else
    AM#98

2004 GSX-R600
    2006 300C AWD HEMI
    2008 Porsche 987s
    ----------------------
    Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Quote Originally Posted by italstallion View Post
    Because i dont care about how hot its going to be id rather be safe and keep the skin on my *** if i fall.
    Safe okay, safe and sweaty okay, safe and radically dehydrated not so okay.

Perforated leather?
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

I have a nice older 2 piece set (Drospo) I bought used for 150$ on the net. Sometimes I ride with the top and jeans.

A jacket and jeans should be the minimum and not a bad choice.

Don't mind XLOR8T He's crashed 3 times.

OK I've crashed at least that many times - but that's spread over almost 30 years of riding. A couple times I was down with the jeans on and faired ok.

A one peice siut could be a pain - if it's not convienet are you going to wear it???
    ride - if you want to

jean's are useless....
    it u get good leathers, they have built in padding around the knees. They make a world of a difference

trust me.

the leathers protect your skin from road rash, but the padding protects your knee from inpact. TRUST ME!!!

yeah just ask golluk how he wished he had armour/padding on his knees...

also having gear isn't any good unless you wear it. I've got a few suits and jackets etc. accumulated over 20 years. But decided just to wear jacket and jeans up to the BBQ...I wasn't planning to go sport riding....ended up going and 2 ppl went down. Wear your gear.

Personally if I was starting over with gear I'd go with a 2pc for street/sporting use, a 1pc perforated for track, mesh gear or perforated 2pc for mid summer. If I'm going out just to ride I wear my 1pc, but I commute etc...and for that a 2pc is more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by d00dz View Post
    yeah just ask golluk how he wished he had armour/padding on his knees...
    would have saved him more money than the cost of the pants too.....but a lot of new riders won't listen to his example or anyones tales either.