Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Re: Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes

Let's see first bike...hmmm...Less than $20/month for insurance, learned to ride, dropped it a couple of times, didn't get into any trouble with the throttle, learned to wrench on it, got a decent amount when I resold it...yes I think I picked well.

Quote Originally Posted by timtek View Post
    hey all, newest (?) member to GTAM..

my first ride?..... 21-speed 2-human-leg powered bicycle! >:] *evil laugh*
    sorry, just wanted to post that... lol

can't wait to get CBR125...
    i laughed so hard when i read that.

Can't wait to get my own CBR125 very soon. I've been pestering the heck out of cute kill and a few others on here with a barrage of questions.

for the longest time i contemplated 125 or 250 but to be honest, im not comfortable with anything higher just yet. ill stick to a 125 for a year or two
    First time rider ftw

ninja 250 isnt that bad of a starter bike. I learned on a 500 and seemed to do ok. 250 at least you can go on the highway whenever you feel comfortable to do so.
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

My first street bike was a 500, just 'cause it's a lot cheaper on insurance. Other than that I've been riding on dirt since 5 years old. Started on an old honda 50 mini trail, made my way up to the bigger 3 wheelers, then onto a 185s honda, now I like to rip around on my uncle 450. I don't think I could live with out some sort of bike in my life
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Quote Originally Posted by dyno View Post
    You want your margin of forgiveness in the bike to be as wide as possible.
    Bingo... A friend of mine offered me his Katana 750 for a great price, but I keep thinking to myself that the 750cc is WAY too much considering that my riding experience is measured in hours.

I also went to RTI in Guelph and they are great best way to go I think!!

Since I was bored this morning I decided to look through this thread. I seems everyone is contemplating the issue of 'is this bike too big? Is this bike too powerfull? All sound questions but in the end (as stated before) it all boils down to the person twisting the wrist. If you're a sane person that is able to infuse logic into a given situation, the bike- any bike, no matter the size, will be fine. Remember, its your hobby/ sport/ lifestyle so go with what you like. Anyone looking to ride is at least 16 and is strong enough to handle a given bike- again they are just tools. Use your head and you should do just fine. By the way, the kid pictured below is on a 600rr- he is 11, 85lbs, and 4'-11"- you'll do just fine.
    Many thanks to my kid's sponsors: MOTOZEN Racing, Bickle Racing, JD Trailer Sales, GPBikes, Johnny Andro of GUNN's Physical FX Studio,CSV Graphics, Z1 cycletech, Chinatown Optical, ImpactArmor, MPHD Ltd, The Morton Foundation, Kevin Zhang, Sam Nawaz, Donovan Paige, Les Booth and race coach extraordinaire/ voice of reason; John Bickle!

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Since I was bored this morning I decided to look through this thread. I seems everyone is contemplating the issue of 'is this bike too big? Is this bike too powerfull? All sound questions but in the end (as stated before) it all boils down to the person twisting the wrist. If you're a sane person that is able to infuse logic into a given situation, the bike- any bike, no matter the size, will be fine. Remember, its your hobby/ sport/ lifestyle so go with what you like. Anyone looking to ride is at least 16 and is strong enough to handle a given bike- again they are just tools. Use your head and you should do just fine. By the way, the kid pictured below is on a 600rr- he is 11, 85lbs, and 4'-11"- you'll do just fine.
    Wrong question I believe.
    The question should be "Is this appropriate for the intended purpose".

If your purpose is to race on the track, then maybe the bike is appropriate.
    If your purpose is to learn to race on the track, then a smaller bike might be more appropriate.
    If your purpose is to learn to ride on the street, a bike intended for racing isn't going to enhance that experience.

Also, I don't see how seeing a picture of a 4' 11", 85 lb, 11 year old on a 600rr will allow everyone else in the world to "do just fine", with learning to ride a motorcycle in Toronto, or London, or Bombay, or anywhere else in the world for that matter.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

The point is just this- again just my opinion- people get hung up on the whole 'size, power, intimidation' thing when in reality the bike is just a tool. A lot of us learned to drive in our parents huge old cars and never thought any different; now people want to learn to drive in the smallest compact they can find as it 'is more suited to the maneuvers required to pass the test ie; parallel parking. Not everyone wants to ride a cbr125 as their first bike, and I'm just pointing out that this is ok, get what you want and be smart about it- the size, weight, power thing should not scare you into a bike you don't really want to ride. Physically and mentally it can and is done all the time.
    Now insurance, well that's a whole different kettle of fish.
    Many thanks to my kid's sponsors: MOTOZEN Racing, Bickle Racing, JD Trailer Sales, GPBikes, Johnny Andro of GUNN's Physical FX Studio,CSV Graphics, Z1 cycletech, Chinatown Optical, ImpactArmor, MPHD Ltd, The Morton Foundation, Kevin Zhang, Sam Nawaz, Donovan Paige, Les Booth and race coach extraordinaire/ voice of reason; John Bickle!

I believe it's all about the comfort level. Lower powered bikes often give you a better chance of learning, and allow you to get away with some newbie mistakes. It is never a good idea to learn to ride on a bike with tons of power, just as you will never learn to drive on a Porsche or Ferrari. We've all been through pretty much the same learning curves, and the matter is not whether if you could start off with a powerful bike or not, because any one could start off with a R1. It is more of lowering the probability of getting yourself injuried, or at worst, killed, on a powerful bike, which gives you a very little window of mistakes, comparing to a lower powered bike. Remember, riding a motorcycle is not just between your brain and your body, it's something to do with your muscle memory as well, and that comes from experience and countless hours of riding/practicing.

To be very honest, if I started to learn how to drive on a powerful vehicle, I would be limit myself to a certain speed limit for a very short period of time. After a while (let say like a month), I wouldn't really limit myself to that speed anymore and I would want to go faster because I would think that I am now capable of a faster speed, which truly I am not. Lower powered bikes don't even give you that option of going faster, so you are forced putting a limit to yourself. There is always a reason why we call certain bikes as "beginner" bikes.

A tool can be deadly, if you don't know how to use it. Start with a smaller tool would help.
    Last edited by Marbleboy; 01-26-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Before I got my M1 last summer I had ridden a dirt bike on a farm maybe 2 times. That was the extent of my experience on a bike.

Last June I went for my M1 and took a training course at the local college. By July 5 I had purchased a 2003 Yamaha YZF R6. I am 31 years old have had 2 speeding tickets, both when I was 17. Not saying I don't speed I do. But I am afraid of losing my lisence and my insurance rates going through the roof. If I want to top the bike out there is lots of tracks close by.

I have not read the whole thread but I am sure it has been said if your mature enough and smart enough to know what a bike is capable of regardless of the size and have respect for yourself and others on the road, you can get on any size bike.

In saying that my neighbor a little younger then me bought a 2007 yamaha YZF R6 and he is one that shouldn't even be on a 125 least of all a 600. Just my opinion but the maturity level of a person dictates what they can and should drive.

To be honest, it sounds more like it's the 'comfort' or 'friendliness' factor comes as much from weight, suspension and geometry as it does from the engine or bike 'size'.

I started on my current bike (Bandit 600), and it's large and top-heavy, but the steeing is not that fast and the suspension is really soft. In the first year I dropped it twice in parking lots, and it takes a bit of effort to back up into a parking stall. But at the limit, and in riding situations, it sure doesn't feel 'twitchy'. Braking a bit too hard, grabbing too much gas or leaning the wrong way hasn't sent me into the ditch. No crashes or tickets in 2 years and 10,000 kms, touch wood.

Now, I do wish it were lighter and a bit sportier, but I don't think the weight or the engine have really put me in trouble. Also, the bike is comfty and well-suited to the highway, with more than enough passing juice even 2-up.

There's lots of bikes of this type out there - the Katana, SV, FZ6R, YZF600R, ZZR600, CB600F2/F3 or most '90s 600's. These are not the same as a 15,000 rpm redline, on-off powerband Yamaha R6.