New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

Thread: New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

thats quite the post... good read... welcome!

2kfire

I was planning to get a Ninja 250, but a co-worker's boyfriend was selling a '98 ZX-6R for less than I could find ninja 250's for! I bought it, and now after reading this, I'm thinking maybe I should sell it and get a smaller bike. Any suggestions?

Well theres no question that alot of people have started out on 600's and done it safety at that. As long as your okay with the insurance payments, i wouldn't put urself through the whole selling and buying process. But at the end of the day, its ur comfort with the bike that counts not how expensive the bike is.
    ICEMAN11

1978 KZ650 SR Cafe
    2000 CBR600F4 - Sold
    2000 Ninja 500R - Sold
    1990 EX500 - Sold

2kfire

Quote Originally Posted by iceman11 View Post
    Well theres no question that alot of people have started out on 600's and done it safety at that. As long as your okay with the insurance payments, i wouldn't put urself through the whole selling and buying process. But at the end of the day, its ur comfort with the bike that counts not how expensive the bike is.
    Thanks! I do feel comfortable with the bike, I know I need to respect it and take it easy!

If ur comfortable then dont worry about it.. thats a great bike you have. You should be fine.
    ICEMAN11

1978 KZ650 SR Cafe
    2000 CBR600F4 - Sold
    2000 Ninja 500R - Sold
    1990 EX500 - Sold

michelle.new

Hello everyone,

The article is fabulous.. I am just starting out and trying to do some research to figure out what I can handle as far as bikes go.

I am a shorter female (5'2") and not a big girl.. I have been asking around but most friends etc. are big guys who ride and dont have alot to say about what bike would suit me best.

I am definately looking at the cruiser's, not into the sport bikes.. and would love any feedback you guys can give me.. I need to be able to handle it and dont want to kill myself or anyone else.

Last time I rode was 20 yrs ago and it was dirt bikes.

Thanks ml

Quote Originally Posted by michelle.new View Post
    I am definately looking at the cruiser's, not into the sport bikes.. and would love any feedback you guys can give me.. I need to be able to handle it and dont want to kill myself or anyone else.
    Welcome to the board Michelle. You've come to the right place for a lot of opinions on your future bike (that often differ diametrically ). My advice is not to narrow your focus on any particular bike style, but see and try as many as you can before you make your decision. Most bikes can be lowered enough to become comfortable for your hight, so don't focus on cruisers just because you they are generally lower stock (they are also generally much heavier).

If you tell us what kind of riding you plan on doing and what is important to you we might be able to give you a better pointer. You can also come to one of the meets and check out the bikes other ladies are riding. I just saw a very nice BMW GS650 that fits a young lady of approximately your height very well. A bike I wouldn't think of as a good fit for shorter riders before.

Ride long, ride often, ride well and above all enjoy yourself.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

michelle.new

Well, I am looking to take leisurly rides out and about..

It will not be about speed, and will mostly be countryside drives, yet I will need to be to have it handle on the highways..

Most likely 1-2 hour rides, leisurely..

As I have been out of the bike circle for a while, I may not know all the lingo, and so when I say cruiser, I probably should have just mentioned I am not really into the sport bikes, as I am not looking for speed, just comfort and something I can handle.

I appreciate any and all opinions... Thanks ml

Also where would a meet be?? I think that would be a fabulous idea

Hi Michelle, Welcome to the Board.
    I'm the same height as you and I ride a Suzuki GS500F , It's a sport style bike but is has a higher bar and is very comfortable. It's only a 2 cyl. I commute on it everyday from Orangeville to Mississauga. I rode a lot of bikes and a lot of the cruisers are very heavy and I found the riding position didn't suit me.. I ended up getting a sore lower back after a hour or 2 . There are lots of good first bikes and as Vlad said, Most of them can be lowered. A girlfriend of mine has a 650 Yamaha V-Star and loves it. Suzuki also makes a 650 Single Cruiser. There's the Kawi 500 Vulcan and Yamaha has the 250 V-Star in the Cruisers.. A used ZZR250 Kawi is more of a sport style but also a good place to start.... The best thing to do is go out and see what YOU feel most comfortable on. But keep in mind what is comfortable on the showroom floor may not be after a couple of hours.
    Last edited by Catzuki; 04-24-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle.new View Post
    ...when I say cruiser, I probably should have just mentioned I am not really into the sport bikes, as I am not looking for speed, just comfort and something I can handle.
    I think a dual sport that can be lowered so you can maneuver it around the parking lot might be a good idea. V-Strom 650 comes to mind, but there are others. It's hard to beat for comfortable riding position, it's mild mannered and inspires confidence but still has enough pull to be ridden hard and fast if you so desire.

A retro style bike like my 1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 550 was would fit you very well (I'm pretty sure you could flat foot that one). It's not as comfortable and has no fairing, but it's more than sufficient for few hour rides and is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen.

I'd steer clear from anything that puts your feet forward, forces you to lean on your wrists too much (or pull on them), forces your spine to form an arch, puts too much bend in your knees, etc. Also eliminate any bike on which you cannot touch the ground with both feet, at least tippy toe. Most bikes can be lowered by several centimeters, but the more you lower the more you affect it's ground clearance and handling.

Weekly meets info is in this sticky here. Feel free to introduce yourselfto the dark fella on the big blue Bandit with a very loud horn
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

michelle.new

Thank you so much!!! You guys are fabulous!!

Alot of great info that should really help me out.

I will be going out this weekend to get the necessities and to start looking at bikes, so the info you gave me will give me more confidence in the conversations that I am sure I will be having.

I will check out one of the meets, and if I find you I will definately say hello.

I hope everyone is having a great time out on the road, and I look forward to getting out on the road soon!

Have a great weekend.. Looks like I have some internet surfing to do on bikes.lol

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Michelle, Welcome to the the Board.

I see you're in Guelph .. Most of the Riders there post in this thread http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=36448 in the rides/ hook ups section

Kari ( Karigotu) is a good female rider that's also in Guelph. She might be able to give you some advice on who's good to deal with in that area.

Good luck on picking your first bike, I'm helping my wife pick her first bike. She's probably looking at a used 500/250 Ninja or GS500F or a small cruiser. She's also a shorty,