New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride) - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

Re: New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

Quote Originally Posted by j_r_starr View Post
    Great article....I worked with a girl who bought a 650 Shadow as her first bike...she dropped $10,000 on it and the day she was suppoed to show up to work with it, she called in sick because she was in the hospital. When I saw her at work next and asked her what happened, she said she "crashed the bike into the first car she saw" and wrote it off. She said it was too powerful for her and she couldn't control it. Case-in-point
    Imho it was poor throttle and clutch control that caused her to crash.

What is your point? That her accident would have been less serious if she'd exercised poor control on a smaller bike?

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by j_r_starr View Post
    Great article....I worked with a girl who bought a 650 Shadow as her first bike...she dropped $10,000 on it and the day she was suppoed to show up to work with it, she called in sick because she was in the hospital. When I saw her at work next and asked her what happened, she said she "crashed the bike into the first car she saw" and wrote it off. She said it was too powerful for her and she couldn't control it. Case-in-point

650 Shadow and power, now there is an axymoron.
    She also way over paid for it.
    She blatantly had undeveloped basic riding skills which were the root cause of her accident.
    Last edited by Ikan; 12-16-2011 at 10:53 PM.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

I'm gonna agree with the above posters. It sounds like she would have had problems on ANY bike if she couldn't control a Shadow 650.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

I am looking for a bike in toronto for under 2 grand.
    RESPECT THE NIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by masalma View Post
    Thanx for the post very good read, but one question i am 6'1 and been looking at a Buell Blast for a first bike 500cc, anyone have experience with them?

Thanx
    Nas
    Do not get the buell blast bro. I know 2 people that owned it and i heard nothing but bad stuff about it. Other buells are hood but the blast not so

Quote Originally Posted by bobparry View Post
    OK... I've read every comment and pondered. Now I see what I have got myself into here . I bought a Buell 1200 last week because it was ergonomically comfortable sitting on it in the show room. I have never ridden bike before.

As a retired OPP officer I have seen my share of roadway mayhem and mash and I know the need for the right kit, moderation in driving and awareness of other road users etc etc....

While I can clearly see where my handling limits are in a car after 30 years as a road warrior chasing idiots, I also know that I know nothing about this new adventure - and that is just why I jumped into recreational riding - for the adventure and learning something new.

After reading what you all have to say, I must thank you for your input. I am signed up for the M1 exit course and will look for the advanced courses too. All I can do now is keep my speed down and awareness up hoping I can survive long enough to learn a little.

Cheers!
    You bought a 1200 cc bike for your first bike and you used to be an opp provincial police officer?

Wouldnt the "common sense" an officer of the law should have tell you not to buy a 1200 cc bike if you have never rode before ?

i'm going to check out a 1994 Ninja 250 tomorrow, the bike looks in good shape. 14K on the odo.
    The seller wants 1900 for the bike but i was thinking they would go down since its been for sale since december.

is a bike this old still worth say 1600 or so?

Quote Originally Posted by bikermahn View Post
    i'm going to check out a 1994 Ninja 250 tomorrow, the bike looks in good shape. 14K on the odo.
    The seller wants 1900 for the bike but i was thinking they would go down since its been for sale since december.

is a bike this old still worth say 1600 or so?
    prices tend to go up as we get closer to spring time, but 1900 imo is too much for a 15+ yr old 250cc. I'd even try 1400 and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by vrus View Post
    prices tend to go up as we get closer to spring time, but 1900 imo is too much for a 15+ yr old 250cc. I'd even try 1400 and see what happens.
    IMO, even $1400 is too much. This is an 18 year old Ninja 250...I'd say closer to $800-$1000

I'm still scared of my 50cc pocket bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghtonator View Post
    I'm still scared of my 50cc pocket bike.
    Thats no joke my 110cc Mini Devil zooms!!! i should dust it off and go for a ride LOL

The mini pisses the neighbors off more then the reg....