Sturgess Cycle in Hamilton - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sturgess Cycle in Hamilton

Re: Sturgess Cycle in Hamilton

My 750 broke down recently. Sturgess had new parts in within 3 days and I had a service appt the same week ( today ).

I showed up today and the store was packed. I was a little worried that I might not get priority because I didn't buy the bike from them and my warranty was through another dealership - which would be totally understandable.

To my suprise, they called me within an hour - I was all ready to go.

Awesome service, let that be a lesson to me and anyone else buying their first bike... there's alot more to consider than just the OTD price.
    Last edited by timyates519; 08-11-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Bump for the best motorcycle shop in the Niagara/Halton Region.

What can I say, anytime I need something (usually OEM or aftermarket parts) Sturgess Cycle is there to help, now 7 days a week - excellent customer service, quick part orders/reception and honest advice. I don't think it get's any better than this!

And the guys that work there are hot! Especially the big guy in sales
    *~Maggie~*

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

Do they have a good selection of gear there?

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha_Gurl View Post
    And the guys that work there are hot! Especially the big guy in sales
    Ah, you've just got a thing for old guys!!!

I actually did not have a successful time with Sturgess. I tried to buy a 2007 HOnda CBR 600 rr from them but they didn't seem helpful or interested at all in helping me. I also found them to be a bit dismissive and rude when I inquired about the 2008 Ninja 250. I do realize they likely get that question 10x a day but I didn't call to be a nuisance. I am sure for the most part they are good as many of you have had great experiences, but for me it simply didn't work out.

i had got my CBR125R there last year....jamie was great....so A+ on the sales side.

HOWEVER...... first service came.....and they put 1.5L of oil in a bike that takes 1L (verified by the receipt ,where on closer inspection i was charged for 1.5l of oil). When i picked up the bike i just hopped on and rode up the mountain to my buddies. When i got there i thought id check the oil to make sure they did indeed change it. Pull out the dipstick and the oil is FLUSH with the top....dumped out the extra oil, and sent them a nasty email (never heard back).

I know the bike was just out.....but if you cant read a manual or a dipstick, you shouldn't be servicing bikes.

I do have to say I've received GREAT service from these guys!

I had work done by another shop (now out of business), got my bike back and oil was leaking out. I got on the phone with the shop who did the work and they said since I now lived further away, they'll call Sturgess to take care of it.

Sturgess arrived at my house in Mississauga within a couple hours, picked up my bike.. took it to Hamilton and returned it fixed the same day all at no cost to me, they billed the company who didn't originally fixed!
    ~ Suzuki Girl ~

My experiences with Sturgess have been less than stellar.

Have been in a few times looking for accessories and can't seem to get the attention of a sales guy.

Also went in for my first service check for my new bike (which by the way is pretty expensive at $190 + oil and filter). I had made an appointment the day before. I was told that it would take 1.5 hrs 2 hrs max. No problem I decided to wait and I hung around the neighbourhood for 1.5 hours and then walked back to the store only to find that my bike hadn't even been looked at. I asked why they didn't even call me on my cell to let me know and the service guy gets short with me - I guess I should have been more understanding and be willing to wait for however long it takes. Unable to wait the rest of the afternoon I took my bike and left.

Anyway I wasted about two hours of my time. I had been planning on buying my accessories and parts from them in the future but it looks like I'll have to go elsewhere to get service.

Sturgess should tear a page out of the auto service industry. Most of the auto shops are much much better.

I am neutral on Sturgess....
    What they make up for in friendly counter service and searching down parts etc., they lose in the cost for labour.
    They wanted over $200 for an oil change on a kawi 250... Give me a break lol..
    When I bought the bike I got it safetied, oil change, valve clearance check, fluid top up and a few other things for $150 from Performance Recreation up near Orillia... Why does Sturgess cost so much?

Quote Originally Posted by brian997 View Post
    Why does Sturgess cost so much?

Shop rates in the GTA are significantly higher than they are in the Orillia area.

What they make up for in friendly counter service and searching down parts etc., they lose in the cost for labour.
    When I bought the bike I got it safetied, oil change, valve clearance check, fluid top up and a few other things for $150 from Performance Recreation up near Orillia... Why does Sturgess cost so much?
    Just a guess, but I think they have to pay considerable amounts to repair scratches and dings that they put in / on customers bikes - that money from sloppy service tech damage has to come from somewhere!
    If you want anything done to your bike, that you can't do yourself Brian, take your ride to Ultimate Cycle (Nash & Barton area) They are 2nd to none, and hourly rates are nowhere near as high.

Quote Originally Posted by banned it View Post
    Just a guess, but I think they have to pay considerable amounts to repair scratches and dings that they put in / on customers bikes - that money from sloppy service tech damage has to come from somewhere!
    If you want anything done to your bike, that you can't do yourself Brian, take your ride to Ultimate Cycle (Nash & Barton area) They are 2nd to none, and hourly rates are nowhere near as high.
    Uh huh. And a bike shows up at the shop completely scratch free and leaves covered in scratches and stone dings, and it must have been the shop that did it. Nevermind that it has 10,000 or 20,000 kms....

Heard that one before.
    Last edited by Grimmy; 04-10-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laserman View Post

Sturgess should tear a page out of the auto service industry. Most of the auto shops are much much better.
    With Cycle City bankrupt and closed, that leaves Sturgess as the only Suzuki dealer serving Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, Milton and surrounding areas, the only Triumph dealer this side of Toronto, and one of two Kawi dealers this side of Toronto.

How many chrysler dealers are there in comparison?

Cars are cars, bikes are bikes. You compare apples to oranges.

What's the hourly labour rate at that shop?? $150 for that work sounds really, really low.

Was the $200 from Sturgess for your first service? If so, there is more to that service than just an oil change.

I've had good service with a used Triumph sprint RS I picked up used from a private sale. I thought they might not take as good care of my ride considering I didn't buy the bike from them, but they were great.

Hamilton (the armpit of southern Ontario)

I never had a bad service experience in the 22 years I've been going to Sturgess! And guess what? ****** happens! If you have/had a bad experience, be civil and I'm sure they'll rectify the problem! Nothing in life is perfect, and if you think there's a better dealer around the GTA, you're fooling yourself.
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

What was the date that the current management took over the business?