Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Jevco???

WTF Jevco???

18 year old rider
    '08 ninja 250r (valued at $2800)
    M2 for 1 month, Getting G2 this month

wait for it...

$3000/y liability only from John Duffy

Your a young rider. You have had had your m2 for a month, and your not even fully licensed to drive a car alone. It makes sense to me.
    Wait a year with your motorcycle experience and your jevco rate will drop.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.

Re: WTF Jevco???

That might be the best quote you will get.

Didn't you look before you bought a bike?
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

The thing that annoys me the most is that we don't have the freedom to choose how much liability we want, $1m is ridiculous. My friend (who is my age) in the US is getting his Ninja 250r this year and he was quoted $250/y with fire and theft...

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    That might be the best quote you will get.

Didn't you look before you bought a bike?
    I haven't actually bought the bike yet, I'm just looking at quotes for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nofear View Post
    The thing that annoys me the most is that we don't have the freedom to choose how much liability we want, $1m is ridiculous. .
    You can choose $200 000....but it wont make much of a difference.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

There are hundreds of threads already devoted to your frustrations. And FYI, 90% of the $3000 premium is to cover your human body, not your bike. As an insurer, we don't care so much about the Ninja 250 if you were involved in a collision -- the big payout is for your injuries (or the injuries of others that you cause).
    Last edited by VifferFun; 09-30-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

If an insurance company in the US can cover a rider like me (my friend who I mentioned earlier) for under $300 a year with fire and theft, then something is gloriously ****ed up here, where $3000 is the minimum I'm looking at.

It's not like Canadian insurance companies have to cover the free medical care I'd receive at Canadian hospitals if I ever get into an accident... With liability only, basically all the insurance companies have to pay out on is if some lazy ****ing cager looking to hop on easy street tries to sue because he has a sore neck from whiplash or some bulls#it even if he was at fault. Although that's a whole other problem...

I know a guy from the states with an 08 CBR1000RR and he pay $227/year for full coverage.

So the moral of the story is, If you want cheap insurance move to the states and pay your own medical bills when you are involved in an accident.

Insurance companies look at teenagers as a liability. As 99% of younger people that get motorcycles get them to show off and have NO driving experience (not just motorcycle) and they don't know how to react in a situation that a more experienced driver would know how.

In your case you have 0 experience on driving as you don't even have your G2 and have never driven in a scenario where you don't have 2 pairs of eyes watching the roads.
    Also alot of teenagers think they are amazing drivers and that is the first thing that will get them into trouble and not be able to get out of due to lack of experience.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

The thing that annoys me the most is that we don't have the freedom to choose how much liability we want, $1m is ridiculous. My friend (who is my age) in the US is getting his Ninja 250r this year and he was quoted $250/y with fire and theft...
    If your friend gets into an accident, a ton of money will come out of his pocket to get minimal care.
    If the same thing happened to you, you'll sit at home with all the medical attention you need at no extra cost.

Please edumacate yourself in how much Ontario insurance covers you for before you complain.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Is your 18 year old *** really complaining? If you want to ride, suck it up and pay it. If you're going to keep on 'ranting' about it, move to the states and get cheap insurance.

I see another arushbhai in the making...
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

I pay insurance for 3 bikes im old and i will still rant or whine as you call it.
    Insurance in ontario is a rape and it prevents me, a member of the middle class to my pursuit of happiness of collecting bikes.

So if i have limited or some medical coverage from government i have to pay more insurance? A bike will cause dammage to anything it hit but compared to a 1 ton car it can only do so much.
    End rant/ whine and i wil move soon
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Quote Originally Posted by rideitlikeyoustoleit View Post
    Is your 18 year old *** really complaining? If you want to ride, suck it up and pay it. If you're going to keep on 'ranting' about it, move to the states and get cheap insurance.

I see another arushbhai in the making...
    Seems to me you are 100% fine with being your insurance company's b!tch.

Quote Originally Posted by djez View Post
    So if i have limited or some medical coverage from government i have to pay more insurance? A bike will cause dammage to anything it hit but compared to a 1 ton car it can only do so much.
    End rant/ whine and i wil move soon
    You are the only one in this thread that actually gets it.

Seems to me you are 100% fine with being your insurance company's b!tch.
    I see Mommy and Daddy have paid for your insurance so far.
    Just wait, You will be their B**** too.
    2001 CBR F4i

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    There are hundreds of threads already devoted to your frustrations. And FYI, 90% of the $3000 premium is to cover your human body, not your bike. As an insurer, we don't care so much about the Ninja 250 if you were involved in a collision -- the big payout is for your injuries (or the injuries of others that you cause).
    Viffer, don't you get sick of typing the same things over and over? Either your the nicest person on this forum or you love typing. Lol, nice of you either way. Now link the fellow to your insurance guide sticky!

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

We're all in the same position. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it except wake up to the realization whatever is causing this the public is screwed and no one really wants to fix the problem.

You are the only one in this thread that actually gets it.
    He gets it, you dont (He's talking about if someone has a third party insurance that covers his/her medical bills). Sure insurance will cover your *** when sued but there many other things that cost money when a collision is involved. Fixing up a bike or writing it up is probably the least of their worries and most likely the cheapest...

Now let me make this clear... i do agree with you that insurance is high as **** in toronto and you have to accept that. But you comparing OUR insurance coverages with ones in the states makes no sense at all as they have MINIMUM coverage so they'll probably have to file bankruptcy if a major accident does happen while in canada you can bet that you wont have to spend a single dime.
    Last edited by Sushii; 09-30-2011 at 11:41 PM.

This is the reason why I have a bike just sitting there till spring for me to insure it (license matures to 1 year). THey are probably quoting you with Nordic and your quote is better than mine. Mines $3500 but is going to drop to about $1900 (like 1898 or something)

Edit: I got my full G last year as well

My first bike was a fj 1100 that cost $1200 to insure 20yrs ago at 20yrs old.The reason your insurance is so expensive is volume,with 30 million people in Canada and over 300 million in the U.S the rates drop.
    I paid my own way growing up,had a good job but barley made ends meet.Today everything is far more expensive so your bitching is totally founded and i cant blame you.
    Coverage is coverage no matter where you are the difference is we pay into a medicare system that makes medical care equal for everyone.It's not cheap and it's far from free for those who think it is.We are forced to have they are not.In the states they have the choice of how much care they want to buy or if they want it at all so you have to add that to your buddies tab as well.Insurance will only pay out to the max amount of the policy you choose and then your on your own.Both systems have good and bad points but neither will let you die when you come into the emergency room with life threatening injuries.
    On a side note the hospital i work at runs and average yearly deficit of 600000 for Americans who get injured here and then skip across the boarder and never pay there bill.
    Last edited by matt123; 10-01-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
    Both systems have good and bad points but neither will let you die when you come into the emergency room with life threatening injuries.
    Yeah, the difference is that one will take everything you own and the other one won't...

Is insurance here too high? I, and most, think so. Don't we all think that EVERYTHING is too expensive??? Who wouldn't be all for cheaper bikes, or cars, or gas, or chips, or or or....

But to try and compare between two different countries is idiotic.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

[QUOTE=imnothng;1666650]Yeah, the difference is that one will take everything you own and the other one won't...

And thats why they have to buy health insurance separate and we don't under most circumstances.Im all for social health care but it's far from perfect and eats 50% of you tax dollars.