Daily/temporary insurance?

Thread: Daily/temporary insurance?

Daily/temporary insurance?

Is there any daily/temporary insurance for riders who do not ride a lot in a year? If I ride just twice a month no point buying the full year?

Re: Daily/temporary insurance?

I tried getting some temporary insurance on a bike just to ride it home. Jevco said no way, but perhaps other insurance companies do?

i once able to do it for my car, with desjardins but im 21 they dont insure bikes under 25.

Quote Originally Posted by elton_t View Post
    Is there any daily/temporary insurance for riders who do not ride a lot in a year? If I ride just twice a month no point buying the full year?
    I dont think this is possible. Are you talking about being insure over a couple months or the couple days you ride?
    Either way, I still don't this this is available (same as seasonal insurance)

I really dont mind paying premium for the days i ride, it just doesnt make sense paying the full year which is awfully expensive at the first place for the days i dont ride. Insurance company in Ontario at least is awfully harsh, they want to get every penny from us. I think there will be a point where many of us could not afford it anymore and the price will drop.

No.

It's not possible. There's a lot of legal stuff that needs to be done to get a vehicle on the road, and it isn't worth the cost for just a few days of coverage. This is why your insurance policy has a "minimum retained premium".
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

I guess that introduces another group of people risk riding without insurance, not that we cant afford it like some punks but its not logical. Thanks Canada!

What's the point of buying a bike if you're only going to ride it for a couple of days? You're better off renting.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

I guess that introduces another group of people risk riding without insurance, not that we cant afford it like some punks but its not logical. Thanks Canada!
    If people with money ride without insurance simply because they don't ride much, that's just plain stupid. If they have money/assets to protect, then this is all the more reason why they need insurance.

As rideitlikeyoustoleit said -- if you only ride a couple times a year, you are better (and cheaper) off renting. gtaexotics has bikes that you can rent.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Yea I thought about renting like from GTAexxxxx but I hear no good reviews from them like bad bikes and the way they treat you after you return the bike is kinda fishy sometime so I rather stay away. Is better to own the bike i can go anywhere i want without the hassle of dropping it or rushing back to return it, just too much hassle to rent especially from GTAexxx.

Why would a company bother.......to much hassle for the money they would make.

I can't imagine any company doing the paperwork for less than $100 a day. A cheap low risk bike and minimum coverage shouldn't cost any more in premiums than ten day rides if you could even get them.

Yes - we like to refer to that group of people as IDIOTS. Logical or not you have to pay to play. You don't have to ride. you don't have to pay.

Yea I thought about renting like from GTAexxxxx but I hear no good reviews from them like bad bikes and the way they treat you after you return the bike is kinda fishy sometime so I rather stay away. Is better to own the bike i can go anywhere i want without the hassle of dropping it or rushing back to return it, just too much hassle to rent especially from GTAexxx.
    I am sure you will be hassled by the cops more than the fact that you gotta return the bike on time. Hows a $5000 fine + increased rates for ya? I'm sure it will cost more than what your insurance will cost and more than late/rental fees.
    Looking to insurance should have been the first thing you look in to and if you can't afford it, don't get a bike.

I really dont mind paying premium for the days i ride.
    So do you only want to pay fire house insurance on days when an arsonist is in the neighbourhood?
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

So what was your plan to call them the day you were planning on riding? i think everyone would do this if it was the case.
    Or have set day each month when you are insured? what happens if it rains everyday your bike is insured?

Did you think this through before you asked?
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Ok, sounds like theres no temporary insurance, im getting the full year then.