Garage reno - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garage reno

I am just about finished my garage renovation so here are a few of my tips:

My garage is a only single garage but I installed 4 fluoroescent ceiling fixtures for good lighting.

Rough in a 240V outlet in case you want to run a welder, large compressor, etc.

Install 120V outlets several feet up from the floor. This makes them much more convenient.

I had about 1.5 feet of concrete at the base of the external wall. I nailed 2 x 2's to the wall, added foam board insulation, vapour barrier and drywall.

If you dont already have it, install a garage door weather stripping kit. It keeps out bugs, cold air, etc.

Paint the drywall a light colour. I makes a huge difference in the overall brightness. I used a light grey.

I heat my garage with a small kerosene heater. It works amazingly well, just make certain you have enough fresh air coming in to keep yourself alive.

Leave provision for hooks in the ceiling. They can be used to lift a bike, motor, etc.

Consider a central vac outlet.

I considered coating or painting the garage floor but heard nothing but bad comments from people who have done it in the past. Kickstands and dropped tools chip the finish, and it can be damaged by spilled solvents. Instead consider installing industrial floor tiles. They are fairly cheap, durable, and you can replace one if it gets damaged. I left my floor bare concrete as it is easy to clean and I don't worry about messing it up.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Ok,wiring is done.I now have 6 outlets around the garage instead of two and it's roughed in for a opener.Lighting is going in today.Insulation and vapour barrier this afternoon.Hopefully the drywall saturday.Thanks for all the tips.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Well, if you don't have room in there, I'd be happy to take the Duc off your hands

I wish I could renovate my garage, but I rent. Best I can do is plug in a space heater

Wow, fabulous thread. That is one of the greatest nerd-offs I've read in a while.

To the OP, there's a book out there called "How To Set Up Your Motorcycle Workshop". It's published by Whitehorse Press. It's a great book, full of all kinds of stuff that you probably already know, but a bunch of things that maybe you haven't thought of, specific to motorcycle workshops. I have a copy which I read when I fantasize about fixing up my garage. Still haven't quite got around to it, but I'm hoping this winter I'll get something done in there....

They have good stuff in the book about positioning lighting, different kinds of floors, workbenches, etc. It's an entertaining read that gets me thinking about all kinds of things I'll probably never do. :)

Sadly, there's no discussion on the Ontario Building Code.

Check it out.

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929
    Sadly, there's no discussion on the Ontario Building Code.

Check it out.

--- D
    Check with "gldwngr". I'm sure he will have something to add.
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing

redsuspenders
    ^bahahahahahaha Do you think??

Mmmm,i'm gettin' a warm fuzzy feeling.Things are moving along very nicely.Fiberglass insulation is done,warm and fuzzy,why am i so itchy?Arrgh!
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing

Drywall is done,boring but clean.
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing

Servility
    Looks like your nearly done, but I just stumbled across this thread. I have a garage about the same size as yours, but no cars go in it. My wife and I keep our bikes in there (still have to build a shed to get the damn lawnmower out of there) I have a brand new house and these are the things I had the builder do extra:

- Fully insulate entire garage (I'm scared to mention the building code, but I believe the 'exterior' walls of the garage do not have to be insulated by code)
    - 3 lights, 2 regular out in the middle and 1 above the corner I put my workbench in. I can swap these to flourescent later, but without the one over my bench it would be really anooying.
    - I have 12 receptacles. Every 6 feet at 15" & 48" from the floor
    - I wish I had gotten exhaust fans like a bathroom. I smoke in my garage and it would have been nice to be able to air it out without opening the big door in February.
    - I got the insulated garage door. I believe it was $700. It is a very nice door. Inside is covered in solid plastic. Looks much nicer that the 'blankets' you buy from home depot to attached to a non-insulated door
    - I have a 230V outlet in there as well for a heater. For the extra few bucks I'm saving on hydro. It's an average 240VAC heater from princess auto/home depot etc. Heats my double car garage about 10C/hour.
    - I wish I had painted when I moved in. The builder drywalled/taped, but no mud. Now the tape has absrobed all the smoke and is starting to look a little rough. I think next summer I'll sand it all down and paint it.
    - I have plastic shelving running down both walls of my garage. I got it at Wal-Mart for $30/set (I have 3). For $30, it's decent cheap non-adjustable shelving.
    - I had an extra ceiling outlet put in as well. One for the garage door opener, and one for a trouble light on a retractable cord.
    - With the garage and the door fully insulated I lose about 5C/hour after I've heater up the garage.
    - I have the belt-drive opener from Home Depot. My buddy has the screw drive from Canadian Tire. His is _significantly_ smoother and quieter than mine. I'm not qualified to say who's door is mounted better, I can;t say it the opener for sure, but I'd buy the screw drive if I was doing it again. He has the same door as I do,

I'm interested to BrianZ's garage now that he's finished it.

Winger, If you have any interested in coming to Baden to see my garage, PM me.

Re: Garage reno

Reviving an old thread with a bit of an update.After a looooong break (work,play),i'm finally back at it.This is going to look great!I need to get some stencils of bike logos made for the border around the perimeter of the garage.Then in the next couple of weeks i'm going to put a proper floor in there.MAN CASTLE Booyaaa!
    Here's a couple of preview pics.

Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing

Looks good, when does the gas unit heater arrive??

did you remember outlets for tv and internet?
    x

I can't see the pictures.....
    Canada is a country that doesn't know where it is going but is determined to set a speed record getting there.

I don't see a bar anywhere. How do you expect your mates to enjoy scotch with you if you don't have comfy accomodations?

Can't wait to see the stencils.

By the way, a couple months ago you suggested I pick up some Glen Breton Single Malt (can't legally call it scotch anymore). Great suggestion. Wish I had room for more than two bottles on the bike when I was out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tint View Post
    I don't see a bar anywhere. How do you expect your mates to enjoy scotch with you if you don't have comfy accommodations?

Can't wait to see the stencils.

By the way, a couple months ago you suggested I pick up some Glen Breton Single Malt (can't legally call it scotch anymore). Great suggestion. Wish I had room for more than two bottles on the bike when I was out there.
    Glad you enjoyed the "Rare".I still prefer it over anything priced similarly.Stencils,sure wish i could find somewhere to get them done.We have all the software and equipment at work to do it.But we are to busy for "gov" jobs. Accommodations! There's three seats in there,and one of em is a couch almost.
    Last edited by Wingboy; 07-10-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    did you remember outlets for tv and internet?

They were working tonight. Looks good!
    Canada is a country that doesn't know where it is going but is determined to set a speed record getting there.

if you can make it happen get a lift for extra space...heres mine i just got yesterday
    Last edited by sonnythebull; 11-07-2008 at 12:54 PM.
    51 Panhead FL Chop, 2011 MV Agusta F4

Quote Originally Posted by sonnythebull View Post
    if you can make it happen get a lift for extra space...heres mine i just got yesterday
    Lotus, Duc and a Custom chopper? Times are tough eh?
    Nice set-up!

Quote Originally Posted by sonnythebull View Post
    I like the lift. My neighbor has one, but it has two posts rather than 4. I think when I get mine, I will go for the two post solution since it is less awkward to move around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tint View Post
    I like the lift. My neighbor has one, but it has two posts rather than 4. I think when I get mine, I will go for the two post solution since it is less awkward to move around.
    or you could get a double lift, its like a second garage, i am installing 1 this weekend at a customers house, i will take picks and post them, i have a single 4 post, i can lower mine onto castors and push it up and down the street