Shipping from Italy

Thread: Shipping from Italy

Question Shipping from Italy

I know how stupid/risky it is to buy a vehicle from another continent sight-unseen, but I'm weighing a lot of options.

Suppose I find an offer I can't refuse for a 1996 Aprilia RS250 in Italy.
    What would be the best company or service to use for intercontinenal shipping of such a bike?

Please keep in mind that the bike in question is 15+ years old and is therefore admissible to be licensed in Canada.

I'm mostly concerned about crating and transportation from seller to buyer.

Re: Shipping from Italy

Try Livingston

How do you know the bike exists?

Quote Originally Posted by SEBBARU View Post
    Suppose I find an offer I can't refuse for a 1996 Aprilia RS250 in Italy.
    Please keep in mind that the bike in question is 15+ years old and is therefore admissible to be licensed in Canada.
    Investigate other aspects of the importation. You'll probably have problems with insurance if the motorcycle in question doesn't sport a 17 character VIN. A bike this old from Europe may not have a conformant VIN. You'll probably successfully get the bike registered but most insurance companies won't cover a bike whose VIN doesn't conform. I'm struggling with that problem right now with my BMW K100 (imported from Germany). Surprisingly, it's been road worthy and insured in Ontario for more than 6 years but this year is truly a bugger for some strange reason -- maybe changing insurance rules.

Factor in the duties and taxes you'll pay once it hits Canadian shores. Depending on where it lands, you'll have to factor in additional transportation costs into the budget. These will include transport from the port of landing to your residence and transport to the mechanic's who will perform the safety.

Also check for proper ownership papers, road worthiness certificates, current insurance, etc. You'll have to get all the paperwork translated into English for registration, which can ONLY be done by MTO approved and licensed translators at significant cost.

So, after all this, you have to ask yourself is this deal really a "deal"? If so, then go for it.
    - Robert.
    1988 BMW K100RT
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Rob do you remember what company you dealt with to import your K100RT?

TNT, there is a gtam member.

excellent pricing and TNT is boss
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by topendz View Post
    Rob do you remember what company you dealt with to import your K100RT?
    I used Majortrans, an international moving company, because the motorcycle was brought over with my household goods when I moved back from Europe where I had been living for a number of years. I imported it tax and duty free because I had proof that I owned the motorcycle. I got it registered through MTO but the process was complex, necessitating three failed visits to Service Ontario before I got all the paperwork exactly right.
    - Robert.
    1988 BMW K100RT
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

You may want to check RIV.CA first and see if the bike is even importable (which it's not). If you can't import it from the states then there is an even better chance that you wont be able to import it from a different country. They will hold that item at the shipping yard until you decide to either ship it back or deal with it otherwise. You may want to talk to a few guys who actually own an RS250 in Canada before even thinking of bringing one in and see how they got theirs. I've only seen two and one of guys from what I recall parks his downtown on front with the rest of the bikers as well he's been out to the Thursday night meets at leslie and lakeshore.
    '02•Ducati•748•RED

Quote Originally Posted by markopas View Post
    You may want to check RIV.CA first and see if the bike is even importable (which it's not). If you can't import it from the states then there is an even better chance that you wont be able to import it from a different country. They will hold that item at the shipping yard until you decide to either ship it back or deal with it otherwise. You may want to talk to a few guys who actually own an RS250 in Canada before even thinking of bringing one in and see how they got theirs. I've only seen two and one of guys from what I recall parks his downtown on front with the rest of the bikers as well he's been out to the Thursday night meets at leslie and lakeshore.
    Any vehicle over 15 years old can be imported into Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by topendz View Post
    Any vehicle over 15 years old can be imported into Canada.
    That is a correct statement. RIV determines the eligibility of a vehicle to be allowed import into Canada. Once in Canada, MTO determines the eligibility of the vehicle to be used on the roads based on its accompanying paperwork. For road use, there must be valid insurance issued for the vehicle and insurance companies determine the eligibility of a vehicle for insurance. It's a bit of a catch-22 the first time for newly imported vehicles as both MTO and the insurance company have to validate each of their registration aspects.
    - Robert.
    1988 BMW K100RT
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer