Catch can for DRZ400SM

Thread: Catch can for DRZ400SM

Catch can for DRZ400SM

I am trying to slowly get my bike ready for the upcoming Drumbo track day on Jun 2.

On my particular bike, the crankcase is vented into the air box and coolant has a stock overflow reservoir. So, do I understand it correctly that I will only need one for the carb? Any suggestions for a quick and cheap solution?

Thanks

Re: Catch can for DRZ400SM

Get a short, clear pvc hose with a block valve on one end and feed the carb drain tubes in on the other end somehow.
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Quote Originally Posted by georgy View Post
    Get a short, clear pvc hose with a block valve on one end and feed the carb drain tubes in on the other end somehow.
    Basically the same as an SME Catch can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

That is a good way to go just make sure the catch can is still vented. The catch can cant be completely water tight... if you plug off all the vent lines the carb wont work. the holes need to be on the top so that the bike would have to be completely upside down for gas to leak out...
    or just get a container with a lid, drill holes to push the lines into... cheap and easy.
    New Supermoto Ontario Club http://www.supermotoontario.com
    My Personal Website http://www.jerrettbellamy.com

Quote Originally Posted by georgy View Post
    I thought the catch can has to be of certain decent volume?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrett View Post
    That is a good way to go just make sure the catch can is still vented. The catch can cant be completely water tight... if you plug off all the vent lines the carb wont work. the holes need to be on the top so that the bike would have to be completely upside down for gas to leak out...
    or just get a container with a lid, drill holes to push the lines into... cheap and easy.
    Right. So I can get a small plastic bottle, but I was hoping someone would point me an easy way to mount the bottle at the best spot. I have seen some mounted on the left front side of the cylinder, but it's so close to the header pipe, that I am not sure it's a such a good idea. And I am not exactly looking to spend 60 bucks for a can with a bracket. If the track days will turn out to be a regular thing I don't mind, but not right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Right. So I can get a small plastic bottle, but I was hoping someone would point me an easy way to mount the bottle at the best spot. I have seen some mounted on the left front side of the cylinder, but it's so close to the header pipe, that I am not sure it's a such a good idea. And I am not exactly looking to spend 60 bucks for a can with a bracket. If the track days will turn out to be a regular thing I don't mind, but not right now.
    The vast majority of installs I have seem mount them on the left of the header.

Make your own:
    http://socalsupermoto.com/blog/tag/s...an-track-prep/
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Get a harder container that you can zip-tie to the frame somewhere. There is no minimum capacity requirement, as far as I know.
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

I'm going to use a small 10 oz. radio controlled airplane fuel tank, you will need the gas conversion stopper but total cost is about $8 . Drill holes so the hoses fit tightly into it and vent it to atmosphere to stop vapor lock.