Racer5/SOAR race weekend questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racer5/SOAR race weekend questions

Racer5/SOAR race weekend questions

I am doing the full weekend at Racer5 at the end of the month in Grand Bend. I have a few questions about a race weekend.

Accommodation:
    Do you guys camp or get a motel?
    I am thinking of bringing a tent if it's possible rather than get a motel if this is possible.
    Do you arrive the night before?

Food:
    buy it there or bring your own?
    I assume you bring a cooler full of things like water, etc.

do they have food to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Racer5/SOAR race weekend questions

First of all, congrats for taking the leap into racing!

Accommodation:
    Some people arrive the night before, some the morning of. Personally, I'm always there the night before. I would rather wake up at the track than wake up super early and drive to the track.
    Most people camp out at the track for the weekend, there is plenty of camping space and it's included with your entry fees. The bathrooms and showers at GBM are good, the main one is even on city water. Some people who aren't big fans of camping get a hotel in Grand Bend which is 5 minutes away.

Food:
    They have food there, which is actually pretty good but they are only open for lunch and breakfast. You are better off to pack a "food" cooler and use freeze packs that don't turn into water when they melt. Then you need your "drinks" cooler...lots of water, energy drinks, beer...whatever. If you have the 2 separate coolers your food is not in danger of getting soggy from the melting ice water. Even if you don't have a BBQ with you, likely one of the people you are pitted beside will have one and usually won't mind sharing some grill space.

See you at the track!
    98.1 Free FM's Racing Team
    SOAR 2011 Old Boys Championship Runner-up.
    Rocket.ca womex.ca TracksideCuts.com stoopidracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I am doing the full weekend at Racer5 at the end of the month in Grand Bend. I have a few questions about a race weekend.

Accommodation:
    Do you guys camp or get a motel?
    I am thinking of bringing a tent if it's possible rather than get a motel if this is possible.
    Do you arrive the night before?

Food:
    buy it there or bring your own?
    I assume you bring a cooler full of things like water, etc.

do they have food to buy?

Thanks in advance.
    That will be my first race weekend aswell. However I live about 45 mins away so sleeping in my own bed is what I will be doing. I bring a small BBQ with me and have any number of things from steak to chicken to fruits and veggies. I do bring a cooler as well with water or whatever we keep me hydrated.

There is a place to buy food at that track. everything above is from the trackdays that I have done at different tracks. I take a tent with me to mosport. This time of year it will likely get very cold at night so bundle up.

I personally camp at the track, it's free, there is clean showers with warm water and you save a pile of money. You can arrive the night before and setup camp if you would like. Everybody camps on the grass in the pit area, so a tent is perfect.

They have concession food there, or there is a Sobeys down the street and a few restaurants 5mins away. I usually bring a cooler full of water to have during the day, you'll be thirsty!

I'm taking the same course, can't wait. I'm going to bring my RV down and camp it at the track. I'm looking for a couple ppl to split the costs with, if you're interested fire me off a message. I'm going to bring my lost era bike along and if I don't suck too bad during the class, I might try that class during the weekend too.
    2004 R1150RTP
    1998 Ducati 944

Also taking the course at the end of the month. If anyone's interested in splitting accomodations let me know. Bluewater motel isn't bad and is just down the road from the track.
    Current:
    2006 GSX-R 600
    SOAR #46. Please don't hurt the FNG lol

Man up and camp out.

Best way to meet new people/friends and not be called a Nancy.
    Don't brake until you see God.

Just an FYI - re one of the points above "the main bathroom is on city water "- All of our water is city water so all bathrooms faucets etc are the same water. All of our bathrooms are on sanitary sewer, and we also have a dumping station in our campground area beside the main gate.

On another note We will be pouring our curbing this Thurdsday - rather than regular style turtles they will be flush with the track and then rise up 2 inches in a straight line to the back (2ft wide) a 1/12 slope with the last 6 inches being rumble stripped. We have also added an extra 2 ft of width (flat) on the left side of the exits of the turns onto the older asphalt section ( the one by the pit washroom bldg and the one everbody says visually looks like you are exiting onto a sidewalk) just to give you a little more room for error. This curbing design adds a little width in the corners doesn't affect your ability to lean (no bumping knees of the turtle) and adds definition to the turns. If you hit the rumble strip backoff you've gone to tight.

The new turtle design sounds awesome, looking forward to it! Are the grandstands being set up? Where are they going to be?

PS: GBM is pretty clean and easy on the nose compared to OTHER tracks that don't clean out their septic tank that you can smell 50 feet from the washrooms themselves.

The smell of the onion fields in Summer at GBM will give any stinky washroom a run for it's money....

It's either that or the smell of sweaty leathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Azim View Post
    It's either that or the smell of sweaty leathers.
    Trackside Cuts can take care of your stinky leathers, they have a safety equipment sanitizing chamber.
    98.1 Free FM's Racing Team
    SOAR 2011 Old Boys Championship Runner-up.
    Rocket.ca womex.ca TracksideCuts.com stoopidracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by HawkEye#311 View Post
    Trackside Cuts can take care of your stinky leathers, they have a safety equipment sanitizing chamber.
    Sometimes it isn't just the equipment...... o_O

we are still working on the Grandstand aspect - most likely they will not be done in time for the May25-27 event, but hopefully for the June event.

Depending on the wind and how you like the smell of cooked onions they can be a pain - unfortunately out of our control, but the owner is working with us to try and reduce the problem. It is mostly in July and Aug (re the heat and processing season) - so it may affect the July round but that is about it.

Anyone from the area know when Lake Huron is warm enough to swim in? Say after a long day at the track in Grand Bend, a quik swim would be refreshing. parillaguy (SOAR # 32). TX

Great to see you on GTAM, Paul. The standard at the newest track is setting the stage for the rest we can only hope they are paying attention. Its going to be a stellar season with SOAR and Grand Bend.
    I dont know if May would be warm enough for a dip,,,,,,,brrrrr. Your no spring chicken it may not be good for the ticker. Then again some silly buggers do the "polar bear" dips in January.

I am going to come out and watch some races this year. Which are the closest ones?

Quote Originally Posted by cbcanada View Post
    I am going to come out and watch some races this year. Which are the closest ones?

maps.google.com

knock yourself out.

Quote Originally Posted by PLS View Post
    we are still working on the Grandstand aspect - most likely they will not be done in time for the May25-27 event, but hopefully for the June event.

Depending on the wind and how you like the smell of cooked onions they can be a pain - unfortunately out of our control, but the owner is working with us to try and reduce the problem. It is mostly in July and Aug (re the heat and processing season) - so it may affect the July round but that is about it.

Makes me crave French onion soup when I'm at the track LOL