Had my first real ride yesterday

Thread: Had my first real ride yesterday

Smile Had my first real ride yesterday

So I played around in my drive way witch is like 300ft long for a weak now driveing real slow doing turns figure 8's and S weaving through some pylons never going any more then walking speed. Yesterday I sayed time to try to get going. The ride was back country and 11.5 Miles long (my spedo is in MPH). Roads where twistey turny, 4 of them two paved 2 gravel. On the black top I got it going at about 60kph, when I got onto the gravel I slowed to 40kph. I was verry supprised when I whent into the lose gravel how the gravel felt like it wanted to pull the bike sideways. Kept controll and made my way home

For the record tho I have now loged in 18.2mi and have NOT drop the bike yet... Probley jinxed it now

Re: Had my first real ride yesterday

300ft driveway? U live in a mansion?

And just a word of advice...please be extremely careful on gravel roads. Your bike will slip as it does not have enough traction. Stay safe and congrats on the first ride

Yeah watch the gravel

Quote Originally Posted by kingsha View Post
    300ft driveway? U live in a mansion?

And just a word of advice...please be extremely careful on gravel roads. Your bike will slip as it does not have enough traction. Stay safe and congrats on the first ride

No I live in the country. I have 18 Achers of land and my house is set back from the road. Actuley most houses where I live you cant even see from the road.

congrats on your first ride! I just started riding myself this year and am already comfortable on the highways. It won't take you long once you get your confidence up. And i agree...careful on the gravel!

Eh, learn to do a burn out on gravel while you are there so you get an idea of how it feels to lose traction, and how to recover from it. Dirt bike guys slide all over the place and manage to stay upright. It's harder with a heavier bike, but the principle is the same: stay upright.

What kind of bike do you ride? Sit on that tank and ramp that throttle on your bike for some fun!
    1996 Kawasaki KLR 250
    2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Learned my lesson when I was taken to sand covered roads on my 2nd week of riding by another rider... Had a couple oh s*** moments but learned my lesson to take sand covered roads a lot slower than usual. Made the mistake of hitting the brakes in a turn when I lost traction due to the sand - You'll end up going straight (most likely in to a ditch or the other side of the road) - Don't do it!

right on bud!!

i remember my first full ride, ended kinda sad, but funny too :P
    i went out on my 1995 ninja 500, riding riding riding.. then the bike died :S
    didnt know what was wrong, turned out no fuel, switched it to reserve, and made it to the gas station :P lol

defenetly an awesome feeling 2 wheels...

4 wheels move my body, 2 wheels move my soul

^ not my words :P
    if speed doesnt scare you, the truck around the corner will.

2002 Suzuki TL1000R - Current
    2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000 - Stolen
    2000 Suzuki GSXR 750 - Sold
    1995 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R - Sold

gravel is a blast...albeit those rocks can get into the darnedest of places...transitioning from that to deep sand will pucker your butt though...fun times and a little gravel training never hurt...