Property/Land Survey help

Thread: Property/Land Survey help

Property/Land Survey help

I want to put up a fence and I believe we have to get a survey done to figure out where our property line is. What we got from our residential plan is a general area, but I've heard it could be off by a foot or two.

I called one place and I got a quote for $600+hst to get one line marked? Isn't that kind of ridiculously over priced?!

This is the first time I'm looking in to something like this, if anyone has any help in the right direction, that would be great!
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

If thats overpriced and as easy as you seem to think, why don't you do it yourself?

Just sayin'

($600 sounds okay to me, Ive heard of people paying twice that much or more in some cases)
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

Re: Property/Land Survey help

Quote Originally Posted by jay-d View Post
    I want to put up a fence and I believe we have to get a survey done to figure out where our property line is. What we got from our residential plan is a general area, but I've heard it could be off by a foot or two.

I called one place and I got a quote for $600+hst to get one line marked? Isn't that kind of ridiculously over priced?!

This is the first time I'm looking in to something like this, if anyone has any help in the right direction, that would be great!
    If you have the original survey of your house just look for the bars. Should have front bars, backs are rarely there. In most cases they are a foot or two off the back of the side walk. Or if you have ties off your house you can measure it yourself off your building corners.
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Current
    2004 Suzuki GS500F - Sold

I think that might be reasonable.

Checkout following that have been recommended:

[1] Lloyd & Purcell at

http://www.ontariolandsurveyors.ca/

[2] MICHELE PEARSON, O.L.S.

Tel: (905) 780-0227 X225

Fax: (905) 508-0239

and no, you don't want to build a fence without being sure it's going up on your property, or on the line. As you may know there's a lot of fence related law, and typically you can get your neighbour to split the cost.
    * It's about safety, stupid.

Is your neighbour ok with the fence? If not look at the local bylaw. There may be a set distance you have to place the fence on your property unless the neighbour is ok with the fence being on the property line. In my dads area fences have to be 6' over so its good to know in case buddy next door raises hell for whatever reason.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Is your neighbour ok with the fence? If not look at the local bylaw. There may be a set distance you have to place the fence on your property unless the neighbour is ok with the fence being on the property line. In my dads area fences have to be 6' over so its good to know in case buddy next door raises hell for whatever reason.
    Cat, I hope you meant 6", not 6 FEET over .

$600 is dirt cheap, and all they will do most likely is mark the locations of the metal stakes. I got a quote for survey in Etobicoke - 700-800 for just marks of the property borders, or 1200-1300 (+hst) for the full survey.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Cat, I hope you meant 6", not 6 FEET over .

$600 is dirt cheap, and all they will do most likely is mark the locations of the metal stakes. I got a quote for survey in Etobicoke - 700-800 for just marks of the property borders, or 1200-1300 (+hst) for the full survey.

Nope, where he is its feet. Was 6 when the fence he has was built and is now 3 or something like that. And yes FEET. My dad cut down a tree on the otherside of the fenceline that he knew was his. Neighbour got ****** off and so started a short legal battle that the neighbour lost and has been trying to make my dad regret since.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Wow, that's insane. If there was such requirement in Toronto or suburbs like Richmond Hill, many townhouse owners would be building fences right along their back walls LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Wow, that's insane. If there was such requirement in Toronto or suburbs like Richmond Hill, many townhouse owners would be building fences right along their back walls LOL.
    Oh 100% agreed. But the point I am trying to highlight. Is check your local bylaw. Specially with fences in a residential scenerio.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post
    If thats overpriced and as easy as you seem to think, why don't you do it yourself?

Just sayin'

($600 sounds okay to me, Ive heard of people paying twice that much or more in some cases)
    I'm going to end up talking to my neighbour and seeing what we can come up with. He's sort of a ******.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    I've read the Mississauga by-laws and it doesn't matter if he's ok with it or not, he's obligated to pay for half the fence! Only problem is, I have to make sure I put it on the property line if he is to pay for it.

He's built part of his deck awfully close to what I believe is the property line so he's never wanted a fence, but we need to make a fence because we want privacy now and to do some sexy landscaping in the back yard.

I don't want to pay the $600 so I'm going to be super polite and see if I can come to an agreement with him. I don't care if we have to lose a few inches of property space, but I don't want him to make a big deal out of it.
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.