Close call this morning.

Thread: Close call this morning.

Close call this morning.

Was in the car this morning Heading up Don Mills and as the lights were changing at Glenn Belt Drive. I just happened to see the guy on a small cruiser poking out into the traffic attempting to turn left. Had to brake hard and didn't go through the lights as they changed to yellow - and buddy was lucky he was paying attention as that the two other cars in the lane next to me gunned it through the red.

The fluro orange 1 piece rain suit was the reason I saw the bike/rider. Phew! Sickening feeling when you're scared there could be collision right in front of you!

Made me think though that HiViz or bright colours/White work well to highlight the rider/bike. The number of black sport bikes I saw didn't register until I was right up close to them. Just food for thought..

Re: Close call this morning.

It's becoming a rare day that I clear a left turn on a green or yellow. Even in a traffic jam, people push through on a red. Stop and yield signs are now optional for most drivers as well. I recently witnessed TWO drivers (in different directions) blow through a 4-way at the speed limit without slowing. Scary stuff. Watch your 3, 6, 9 and 12 ladies and gentlemen.

Indeed, scary thought; especially being riders ourselves and witnessing/nearly becoming part of such an incident.

I picked up a Teknic hi-vis jacket a few months ago for this very reason (plus it's more touring-oriented and waterproof)... I'd like to believe it's made me more visible and less likely to be involved in a SMIDSY incident, but there are still cagers out there who clearly aren't paying attention to us.

What about Hi-viz rims?

Quote Originally Posted by TekNinja81 View Post
    Indeed, scary thought; especially being riders ourselves and witnessing/nearly becoming part of such an incident.

I picked up a Teknic hi-vis jacket a few months ago for this very reason (plus it's more touring-oriented and waterproof)... I'd like to believe it's made me more visible and less likely to be involved in a SMIDSY incident, but there are still cagers out there who clearly aren't paying attention to us.
    I'm sure you're more noticable . The other weekend I saw a motorcyclist with hiviz helmet and jacket. He really stood out. Not the bike though, as it was all black and kinda just blended in with the surrounding traffic etc.

Maybe hiviz rims like the previous poster suggested could be handy ?

I plan to get a friend to film me sometime coming down a road, then film me again with hiviz on. It will be interesting to see the difference.

One thing to note, I have seen riders with hiviz vests on, but at the rear of their bikes are black top cases that block the back of the vest from following vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    It's becoming a rare day that I clear a left turn on a green or yellow. Even in a traffic jam, people push through on a red. Stop and yield signs are now optional for most drivers as well. I recently witnessed TWO drivers (in different directions) blow through a 4-way at the speed limit without slowing. Scary stuff. Watch your 3, 6, 9 and 12 ladies and gentlemen.
    Ever had an a-hole just losing it on you with the horn because you stoped at a yellow light? It happens more then you think. One time as I was slowing down the guy behind me switched lanes, gunned it, and went right through the rear end of a mini van making their legal left hand turn. I honestly think that people honestly think that your suppose to go through yellows. I don't think at least a third of the people on the road even know what yeild means anymore.

This is my signature

This is why I opted for a white jacket and helmet with black accents!
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

Quote Originally Posted by jay-d View Post
    This is why I opted for a white jacket and helmet with black accents!
    yeah, if I were to buy a new helmet, its going to be white. I spotted a mate of mine blocks away with his white helmet. It really stood out without being 'hiViz' in your face .

Quote Originally Posted by Venom01 View Post
    Ever had an a-hole just losing it on you with the horn because you stoped at a yellow light? It happens more then you think. One time as I was slowing down the guy behind me switched lanes, gunned it, and went right through the rear end of a mini van making their legal left hand turn. I honestly think that people honestly think that your suppose to go through yellows. I don't think at least a third of the people on the road even know what yeild means anymore.

This is my signature
    Yes, I constantly encounter that subspecies of moron. A wall of oncoming traffic and/or a line of pedestrians doesn't seem to figure into their concerns, despite the fact that most of them drive SUVs and can see over me.

My other favourites are the folks who DANGEROUSLY cut you off (no signal, speeding and crisis averted by me slamming on the brakes and swerving), ignoring the 4-6 car length opening behind me. Then they proceed to drive under the limit, before "changing" lanes again.

The most dumbfounding was a cabbie that pulled up behind me at King and Portland, decided he didn't want to wait at the red, pulled into the opposing lane and drove through the intersection as the cross traffic began to move. He wasn't even picking up a fare (which is when they're the most dangerous). How that didn't end in an accident I'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    The most dumbfounding was a cabbie that pulled up behind me at King and Portland, decided he didn't want to wait at the red, pulled into the opposing lane and drove through the intersection as the cross traffic began to move. He wasn't even picking up a fare (which is when they're the most dangerous). How that didn't end in an accident I'll never know.
    Cabbies and private car drivers are my biggest red flag when I'm on the road and highway. I had one ******* in an airport car come screaming down the 427 southbound on my left and only last minute did he decide he needed to merge right (my lane) in order to make the airport turn off. He came retardedly close to hitting me when he merged leaving less than an arm's length between his front bumper and my rear tire so I turned in my seat and gave him a nice middle finger. The ****er changes to the furthest right lane, guns it and shoves his hand out the window violently waving and honking and giving me the finger back. I hope he had a client in the back that saw that ****.

Just two days ago heading down church this cabbie decides he's going to pull out from a lot turning right without even checking to see if there was any oncoming traffic. Had to swerve to avoid him. I gave him plenty of horn too.

What's wrong with these jerks?

Obeying the law is the new form of hooliganism. Never thought I could have so much fun in the city pissing people off.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Obeying the law is the new form of hooliganism. Never thought I could have so much fun in the city pissing people off.
    LOL nice way to look at it.
    There is no planet B.

On Sunday heading north on DVP. idiot in fast lane not paying attention flying up thru road. doesn't realize traffic is slowing. very last minute he cuts right into middle lane. to avoid ramming back of car in front of him. smacks the back end of another SUV sending him up on two wheels. amazing he didn't roll. momentum takes the original speedster into right lane and then they both pull over onto shoulder.
    i was behind girlfriend on my bike while she was ahead of me in her car- both of us in middle lane. the accident happened right in front of her.

scary part is, im usually leading her while she protects my back end. had this been the case this speedster might have swirved and hit me. i might have been a goner.

if people just slowed the **** down and pay attention completely avoidable.
    Last edited by silvrsurfr; 05-08-2012 at 05:45 PM.

talking about SMIDSY....

I use this technique all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

Quote Originally Posted by inyaknow View Post
    talking about SMIDSY....

I use this technique all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU
    7 minutes of wasted time...

Video was a bit boring.. And usually I don't mind English stuff

yellow light on a bike is an automatic stop for me if I can do it safely no matter how much of a hurry I am in. Can't risk those people feeling pressured to turn left when the lights hit yellow crashing into me.

I noticed drivers give people with Hi-Viz clothing more bubble space. Every time I see one I assume it's a cop don't know why lol.