Is an arrest normal?

Thread: Is an arrest normal?

Is an arrest normal?

I have no problem with the driver being arrested but is it the norm or was there a unique situation. I thought arrests were only for DUI and dangerous driving. The charge was speeding if you believe the news.

Driver arrested after serious crash with motorcycle
    05/05/2012 | CityNews.ca staff

Share on tweet
    Police investigate a crash on Kennedy Road in Scarborough on May 5, 2012. CITYNEWSMap data ©2012 - Terms of UseMap Toronto police arrested a minivan driver after he crashed into a motorcycle early Saturday morning.

It happened around 3:30 a.m. on Kennedy Road at the ramp to the Highway 401 eastbound in Scarborough.

The woman driving the motorcycle was taken to Sunnybrook hospital with serious injuries and is expected to survive.

“We stopped to help her out,” said witness Aniel Sawh.

“She was screaming quite a bit. It seems like she was in quite a bit of pain.”

Police have so far charged the minivan driver with speeding.
    Last edited by nobbie48; 05-08-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Re: Is an arrest normal?

Speculation at the moment is that the driver was impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    Actually he was charged with impaired operation. Or so they were saying on the radio as I passed the location, on Saturday morning.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Shes a friend of a friend. Had to relay information to a friend who came down to Va Beach with me this past weekend.
    Whats hitting the media isnt the facts of the case and the facts arent being released until the investigation is complete.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

there was a notion that the rider ran the red and the minivan had the right of way...i wonder how that will play out...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Actually he was charged with impaired operation. Or so they were saying on the radio as I passed the location, on Saturday morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Shes a friend of a friend. Had to relay information to a friend who came down to Va Beach with me this past weekend.
    Whats hitting the media isnt the facts of the case and the facts arent being released until the investigation is complete.
    Only thing I have read on this incident is from here which is why I said 'speculation at the moment'. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone, not the intent.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    I have no problem with the driver being arrested but is it the norm or was there a unique situation. I thought arrests were only for DUI and dangerous driving.
    Drivers can get arrested for many things other than impaired/over 80 and dangerous such as careless, suspended, fail to remain, stunting...

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Mis-information from the media; there's something new! Hope your friend's friend is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by GayManLoveIsOK View Post
    there was a notion that the rider ran the red and the minivan had the right of way...i wonder how that will play out...
    IF it is as is now being reported; rider ran red, driver was drunk, it could result in charges for both. One of those cases of doing something wrong but flying under the radar... until something else outs you.
    2008 SuperDuke (current)
    2003 WR450F / SM (current)
    2005 DRZ400SM
    2003 XR50R (current, son's)
    1997 TL1000S
    1999 SV650S
    1985 GS750EF
    1983 GPz750
    1982 Nighthawk 650

Only thing I have read on this incident is from here which is why I said 'speculation at the moment'. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone, not the intent.
    No worries.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...edy-rd-and-401

Couldn't find a press release from Toronto Police.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Not everything in the HTA provides for an arrest authority. If someone was arrested, that means it was a pretty big offence, (however they could also be arrested if the stop reveals another arrestable offence such as under the Criminal Code, or if they had an outstanding warrant or something.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.