First 30 Days Most Dangerous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 30 Days Most Dangerous

First 30 Days Most Dangerous

According to this Poughkeepsie Journal data your first 30 days (90 days for Super Sports), are statistically the most dangerous on a motorcycle.

Some other very surprising bits in there too.
    Last edited by Tango5; 05-07-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Re: First 30 Days Most Dangerous

Well - passed that hurdle.

One my instructors from RTI had mentioned that the third year of riding was one of the most dangerous.

I've also heard that...you go through 1-2 seasons without incident...get confident and take a few more chances and bam!

Ive also read one of the highest statistics is the 40+ years are very highly to have an accident. They buy big bikes once they can and unfortunately can't handle the bike as they had expected.

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by mimico_polak View Post
    I've also heard that...you go through 1-2 seasons without incident...get confident and take a few more chances and bam!

Ive also read one of the highest statistics is the 40+ years are very highly to have an accident. They buy big bikes once they can and unfortunately can't handle the bike as they had expected.
    Ummm. Nope. We forget that we're mortal and stretch the envelope. Some call it a midlife crisis or "Grey hair riders"

Feel free to ask us about traction patches, road debris, animals, tire pressure and other factors.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

The Hurt Report contradicts the insurance affiliations claim that motorcycle safety courses have no impact on their accident statistics, as the Hurt Report indicates that riders WITHOUT training are "over represented" in the report.

I like to think that most of the new riders will get their "oops" drop out of the way on school bikes rather than their own.

However, this also supports my personal opinion that a new rider is better off buying used for their first season or two and get any single vehicle accidents out of their system before signing their lives away for a $12,000 bike that depreciates with the first smack onto the asphalt.

Now also remember that these stats are for US citizens that made a claim to their insurance companies. There may be many more collisions that go unreported and unclaimed. If your bike tipped over and scratched a fairing and broke a signal would you pay your $1000 deductible to replace a lever, turn signal and mirror?

Over to you.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

I was told at the motorcycle course I took over 30 years ago that "you are not a motorcyclist until your first accident" and from experience over the years it is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggs View Post
    I was told at the motorcycle course I took over 30 years ago that "you are not a motorcyclist until your first accident" and from experience over the years it is very true.
    Let's hope that is not true for everyone, but I can certainly understand the reasoning behind it. Look at the bikes on kijiji that are for sale with 300km on the odometer, complete with jacket and helmet. They got scared and backed out, while others will proudly show scars and tell war stories at timmies.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    They got scared and backed out, while others will proudly show scars and tell war stories at timmies.
    I suppose backing out is still better than the ones that aren't around to show their scars.

They got scared and backed out, while others will proudly show scars and tell war stories at timmies.
    Some of us don't have scars, even after 30yrs of riding. And every year is the most dangerous one on a bike.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

That is the most idiotic thing to say, especially at a motorcycle course where they need to teach new riders how NOT to go down and ride for years accident free. You are a motorcyclist if you know how to keep the rubber side down.

Seems like a silly thing for an instructor to say!? I guess 30 years ago it was a badge of honor to drop a bike and crash? Battle scars make you a motorcyclist and riding safe and normal means you're not pushing hard enough!?

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by mimico_polak View Post
    Seems like a silly thing for an instructor to say!? I guess 30 years ago it was a badge of honor to drop a bike and crash? Battle scars make you a motorcyclist and riding safe and normal means you're not pushing hard enough!?
    Keep in mind that 30yrs ago, they taught people to avoid accidents by "laying the bike down". Thank Dog for progress.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

I think you're missing the point here.

Motorcycling can be erroneously perceived as safe and fun, then after a mishap many learn the truth the hard way and choose to give up the sport.

And yes, some people will go beyond the limits of traction and learn a lesson the hard way. Cold tires on a cold road for example. Many are content simply to use a motorcycle as a commuter vehicle, a convenience, while others treat public roads as a racetrack or a playground. We're all guilty of it to some degree or another, regardless of a perfect "I've never dropped my bike" record or not.

Maybe those with war stories have a lesson to impart with a morale, while those others will tell their colleagues over the water cooler how terrified they were when they grabbed a mitt full of front brake and almost spilled in the intersection.

To each his own. I have to admire an instructor who wants to wake up people to the dangers, then go on to teach them to ride safely. Anything else ignores the evidence that if motorcycles had been invented today, the MTO and DOT would never have allowed them on the road do to overall injuries and fatalities.

Personally I admire those who are claim free on their insurance.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

The Hurt Report contradicts the insurance affiliations claim that motorcycle safety courses have no impact on their accident statistics, as the Hurt Report indicates that riders WITHOUT training are "over represented" in the report.
    Years ago the person attracted to motorcycling was of a different mindset IMO, and if they were of a mind to take training, I suspect it helped reduce the risk in the critical early stages of riding compared to those that just got on a bike and rode. Today, "the business" of training puts many riders on the road who otherwise would not be, with such a larger pool of riders graduating from courses, the benefit of training is probably statistically diluted.

I disagree. Been riding 15 years, never had an accident and I am no fair weather rider. Rain or shine, 8 to 9 months of the year.

The danger of saying something like the first 30 days are the most dangerous are some will grow lazy thinking they have seen it all or are experienced. You need to be constantly aware of your surroundings, whether its your first day on the road or 10,000th day. All days are dangerous on the road, that will never change. Its up to the rider to be aware, alert and ready to act appropriately when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango5 View Post
    Years ago the person attracted to motorcycling was of a different mindset IMO, and if they were of a mind to take training, I suspect it helped reduce the risk in the critical early stages of riding compared to those that just got on a bike and rode. Today, "the business" of training puts many riders on the road who otherwise would not be, with such a larger pool of riders graduating from courses, the benefit of training is probably statistically diluted.
    While statistics are not my strong point, I think your theory is valid and a good point.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    Some of us don't have scars, even after 30yrs of riding. And every year is the most dangerous one on a bike.

+1 amen

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    plus 1 and gets worse every year....

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    +1 amen
    Good for you.

Some of you will go on to have a collision and no longer be able to claim a perfect record.

My riding record went to pieces because of an animal that jumped onto the highway in one bound. Was it luck? In experience? An act of God? To this day I wonder, but I get "Deer Fear" at night now.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

There are the bikers that have gone down and there are the bikers that will go down... That is all.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk