First 30 Days Most Dangerous

Thread: First 30 Days Most Dangerous

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First 30 Days Most Dangerous

According to this Poughkeepsie Journal data your first 30 days (90 days for Super Sports), are statistically the most dangerous on a motorcycle.

Some other very surprising bits in there too.
    Last edited by Tango5; 05-07-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Re: First 30 Days Most Dangerous

Well - passed that hurdle.

One my instructors from RTI had mentioned that the third year of riding was one of the most dangerous.

I've also heard that...you go through 1-2 seasons without incident...get confident and take a few more chances and bam!

Ive also read one of the highest statistics is the 40+ years are very highly to have an accident. They buy big bikes once they can and unfortunately can't handle the bike as they had expected.

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by mimico_polak View Post
    I've also heard that...you go through 1-2 seasons without incident...get confident and take a few more chances and bam!

Ive also read one of the highest statistics is the 40+ years are very highly to have an accident. They buy big bikes once they can and unfortunately can't handle the bike as they had expected.
    Ummm. Nope. We forget that we're mortal and stretch the envelope. Some call it a midlife crisis or "Grey hair riders"

Feel free to ask us about traction patches, road debris, animals, tire pressure and other factors.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

The Hurt Report contradicts the insurance affiliations claim that motorcycle safety courses have no impact on their accident statistics, as the Hurt Report indicates that riders WITHOUT training are "over represented" in the report.

I like to think that most of the new riders will get their "oops" drop out of the way on school bikes rather than their own.

However, this also supports my personal opinion that a new rider is better off buying used for their first season or two and get any single vehicle accidents out of their system before signing their lives away for a $12,000 bike that depreciates with the first smack onto the asphalt.

Now also remember that these stats are for US citizens that made a claim to their insurance companies. There may be many more collisions that go unreported and unclaimed. If your bike tipped over and scratched a fairing and broke a signal would you pay your $1000 deductible to replace a lever, turn signal and mirror?

Over to you.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

I was told at the motorcycle course I took over 30 years ago that "you are not a motorcyclist until your first accident" and from experience over the years it is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    The Hurt Report contradicts the insurance affiliations claim that motorcycle safety courses have no impact on their accident statistics, as the Hurt Report indicates that riders WITHOUT training are "over represented" in the report.
    Years ago the person attracted to motorcycling was of a different mindset IMO, and if they were of a mind to take training, I suspect it helped reduce the risk in the critical early stages of riding compared to those that just got on a bike and rode. Today, "the business" of training puts many riders on the road who otherwise would not be, with such a larger pool of riders graduating from courses, the benefit of training is probably statistically diluted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango5 View Post
    Years ago the person attracted to motorcycling was of a different mindset IMO, and if they were of a mind to take training, I suspect it helped reduce the risk in the critical early stages of riding compared to those that just got on a bike and rode. Today, "the business" of training puts many riders on the road who otherwise would not be, with such a larger pool of riders graduating from courses, the benefit of training is probably statistically diluted.
    While statistics are not my strong point, I think your theory is valid and a good point.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    +1 amen
    Good for you.

Some of you will go on to have a collision and no longer be able to claim a perfect record.

My riding record went to pieces because of an animal that jumped onto the highway in one bound. Was it luck? In experience? An act of God? To this day I wonder, but I get "Deer Fear" at night now.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Good for you.

Some of you will go on to have a collision and no longer be able to claim a perfect record.

My riding record went to pieces because of an animal that jumped onto the highway in one bound. Was it luck? In experience? An act of God? To this day I wonder, but I get "Deer Fear" at night now.
    I am one of those who have only had one low speed low side in many years of riding. You my friend are a true rider. You were involved in a serious accident through no fault of your own. You suffered with your body, yet you continue to ride. You passed the test. You are a hardcore rider. Many of us would have parked it after such an ordeal. My hats off to you my friend.
    Aurora

There are the bikers that have gone down and there are the bikers that will go down... That is all.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by polskachick View Post
    There are the bikers that have gone down and there are the bikers that will go down... That is all.

I'd like to think that not every single biker has to go down in their riding career. Many do but there's a few on this site that have never gone down and hopefully never will.

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by polskachick View Post

Glad that's all you have to add, I'm guessing the person that passed on this wealth of knowledge to you has been down.

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    Glad that's all you have to add, I'm guessing the person that passed on this wealth of knowledge to you has been down.
    I'll assume that you didn't intend for your response to sound so demeaning.

There has been a common thread here that we can all agree on. That a healthy dose of paranoia makes one a safer more alert rider.

A statement like "There are the bikers that have gone down and there are the bikers that will go down..." fosters that. Those of you who manage to stay upright. Kudos, for the rest of us, it's true.

We can perhaps agree that there is increased risk of a collision in an Urban area such as the GTA, so the likelihood of a collision for Guimmente would increase if he chose to relocate to Toronto as opposed to West Grey. Wonderings rides a BMW, not known for a racing reputation until recently, so I would assume he chooses a more sedate ride, perhaps a sport touring focus as opposed to riding a race replica.

We can see how personal choice and their acceptance of a certain level of risk may contribute to a perfect riding record. Insurance companies agree that type of motorcycle and geographical region are factors in collisions.

Once again, if we introduce a healthy paranoia in ALL riders, we would hope they would be more alert to the dangers of road riding.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

I loved my training at RTI, but had I read Ronnie's posts here before I started riding, I would have chosen Learning Curves.

Sage advice Rotten Ronnie.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
    I loved my training at RTI, but had I read Ronnie's posts here before I started riding, I would have chosen Learning Curves.

Sage advice Rotten Ronnie.
    I appreciate the plug, but I should remove that learning curves signature and post "your mileage may vary" as it's personal opinion based on experience.

We can perhaps agree that there is increased risk of a collision in an Urban area such as the GTA, so the likelihood of a collision for Guimmente would increase if he chose to relocate to Toronto as opposed to West Grey.
    True enogh. However, I do commute a 174km round trip down two major highways every day I take the bike. There are all kinds of variables to cover individual situations, but as you, me and others have already (more or less) stated, there is a) no substitute for proper road based training courses and b) a greater chance of long term survival if one always rides paranoid.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights