Looking for trip beater

Thread: Looking for trip beater

Looking for trip beater

I am planning on riding to the west coast. I am looking for a beater bike to do it with. A 1995 or older SS should be a fun ride and cheap to insure. I have a CBR F2 sitting, but I am somewhat tempted to get myself a liter bike for the trip. Having a very good experience with the F2 the CBR900RR tempts me most. How much "sportier" is the 900RR over the F2? I found the F2 to be a very comfortable bike is the 900RR worse? I saw people complaining about the 900RR handling on bumpy roads. Reality is, bumpy roads are all around, the F2 handled reasonably on bumpy roads. Is the 900RR much harsher?

Any other suggestions? 95 or older zx11 maybe?

Re: Looking for trip beater

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I am planning on riding to the west coast. I am looking for a beater bike to do it with. A 1995 or older SS should be a fun ride and cheap to insure. I have a CBR F2 sitting, but I am somewhat tempted to get myself a liter bike for the trip. Having a very good experience with the F2 the CBR900RR tempts me most. How much "sportier" is the 900RR over the F2? I found the F2 to be a very comfortable bike is the 900RR worse? I saw people complaining about the 900RR handling on bumpy roads. Reality is, bumpy roads are all around, the F2 handled reasonably on bumpy roads. Is the 900RR much harsher?

Any other suggestions? 95 or older zx11 maybe?
    Not sure about your riding style, if you're in it for the trip or to tear up the mountain roads, but why not consider a sports touring - VFR, BMW F-800..if you pick up one with integrated luggage it will be a nice bonus for the trip..also depending on your posture it may help with comfort. Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy the trip!

VFR is a good suggestion but not really worth the upgrade over the F2 I have sitting. Dunno if it even is an upgrade.
    BMW F-800 is a sweet bike, but finding one that's a beater is impossible.

Luggage is not a concern. I already have saddle bags that can go on any bike.

To clarify things, the F2 has everything I need. I am not picky. I just think I would find it a bit boring coming off my SMC. Need something with a bit more spice.

if you are going early 90's then go big or go home, get a ZX11 or a blackbird...

going 900 seems half-assed if you are going old school

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

I rode a '94 ZX11 to Calgary while in University. It was big, solid and comfortable. It had a Corbin seat and some cheap used saddle bags that had bi safety pins help hold them together. If you can find an inexpensive one with a few touring mods already on it's a great bike. It gets my vote, of course I'm biased.
    Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. H.S. Thompson