Motorcycle removed by Landlord - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorcycle removed by Landlord

Re: Motorcycle removed by Landlord

It may be his property, but the tenant still has rights. Unless the tenant is breaking City bylaws regarding parking a motorcycle in a back yard he can't say "I don't want a motorcycle on my property". That's discriminatory. I could understand if it was indoors and would fall under fire code.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

If he's renting the room not the property, I don't think he has much say at all. Renters do have rights that are protected, but they don't extend beyond what is actually being rented.
    2008 CBR125R
    1986 GS750EF
    1976 RD400 - 1st bike, long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    tell your landlord that you belong to the hells angles and not to f with it or you or else. reverse the heat back on him.
    Just don't put on a hells Angels jacket with patches and go to McDonald

I know someone that will get really angry
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Have a GTAM BBQ. 50 guys on motorbikes might send a "back off" message...
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    tell your landlord that you belong to the hells angles and not to f with it or you or else. reverse the heat back on him.
    haha. nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dru9 View Post
    If he's renting the room not the property, I don't think he has much say at all. Renters do have rights that are protected, but they don't extend beyond what is actually being rented.
    If landlord is not residing in the house the tenant is renting from that would make the house not his primary residence and I'm not sure if the landlord has a say in what can't go in the backyard as long it's not illegal stuff.

Anyways tell the landlord if the motorcycle goes the rent may be late many times and give him a copy of the tenant act and maybe some articles on tenants not paying their rent.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    My first reaction would be to tell him to pound salt. Is there a specific part of your rental agreement that states no motorbike or personal property allowed in the yard? Sounds like discrimination to me.
    Could someone explain the discrimination charge? Is there something in the constitution about mode of transportation?
    There are lots of condos that ban motorcycles. Most ban unplated vehicles.

Is there a specific part of the rental agreement that states that M/C parking IS allowed. Why do people assume they can do anything thay want.

Good point. Parking regs also vary by municipality. We also don't know the bike. Is it a loud pipes PITA?

There are lots of insidious laws out there that can be used to pressure things out. Is there a city reg against back yard parking?

Does having a vehicle parked in a back yard affect the green space limitations?

The landlord may have assured other tenents of a clear view of the dhalias in the rear garden and the M/C obstructs the view.

True the landlord may just being a jerk but without more facts this is a knee-jerk lynching.

Very likely there is a clause in the rental agreement, that pertains to the parking of motor vehicles. Keep in mind that a motorcycle is a motor vehicle; it isn't treated like a bicycle. There are also things like fire codes, that may well limit the ability to do this. If you sub-lease from the actual tenant, then all of the regulations and contracts in force also affect you.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Put it in your room. Lol. It's your space.

Is the backyard enclosed? Meaning, is there ready access to an existing parking pad behind the house either by a driveway down the side or a lane way out back? Does the property have an approved front yard parking pad? If not, you may be pooched. The residential parking bylaws do not give special consideration to the size of the vehicle, as long as it's motorized it's subject to the same reg's that cars are. Toronto residential parking regulations could be on the LL's side. I suggest you check with the city to determine what the house is legally zoned for and try to negotiate with the LL from there.

...OP, can you reason with your landlord, and let him know it will be plated soon?
    Seriously, this is the best option. Just talk to him and tell him you're plating it this month and will purchase street parking for the bike. I'm sure he may bicker and grumble but if you tell him your intentions nicely he should leave you alone.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Have a GTAM BBQ. 50 guys on motorbikes might send a "back off" message...
    I support this motion

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    Could someone explain the discrimination charge? Is there something in the constitution about mode of transportation?
    There are lots of condos that ban motorcycles. Most ban unplated vehicles.

Is there a specific part of the rental agreement that states that M/C parking IS allowed. Why do people assume they can do anything thay want.

Good point. Parking regs also vary by municipality. We also don't know the bike. Is it a loud pipes PITA?

There are lots of insidious laws out there that can be used to pressure things out. Is there a city reg against back yard parking?

Does having a vehicle parked in a back yard affect the green space limitations?

The landlord may have assured other tenents of a clear view of the dhalias in the rear garden and the M/C obstructs the view.

True the landlord may just being a jerk but without more facts this is a knee-jerk lynching.
    There is no basis to the discrimination charge. I would ignore that. Generally, private parties can discriminate without a express law to the contrary ( there is none for motorcycles )

The issue here is really what the renter actually rented. The Landlord obviously has a right to regulate whats on his yard and it doesn't have to be just illegal things. Imagine if the renter wanted to put a car in the backyard on blocks, or just an old busted piano?
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian1974 View Post
    Is the backyard enclosed? Meaning, is there ready access to an existing parking pad behind the house either by a driveway down the side or a lane way out back? Does the property have an approved front yard parking pad? If not, you may be pooched. The residential parking bylaws do not give special consideration to the size of the vehicle, as long as it's motorized it's subject to the same reg's that cars are. Toronto residential parking regulations could be on the LL's side. I suggest you check with the city to determine what the house is legally zoned for and try to negotiate with the LL from there.
    No there's no parking. The Landlord has a garage to the back alley which he rents out separately. I don't have access to the alley since you can only access it through the garage.

It is also not plated at the moment. Aren't they are just "motorcycle parts"?
    If the LL removed the bike, can/should I report it stolen?

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    No there's no parking. The Landlord has a garage to the back alley which he rents out separately. I don't have access to the alley since you can only access it through the garage.

It is also not plated at the moment. Aren't they are just "motorcycle parts"?
    If the LL removed the bike, can/should I report it stolen?
    I believe it is illegal to drive a motor vehicle over a curb where there is no legal ramp. Since there is a back lane there likely isn't a ramp at the curb and you are jumping the curb. Possible strike one.

If someone else is renting the garage they could also cut off access. Possible strike 2

You would have a tough time convincing anyone that it's a collection of parts unless you have a ton of money for legal fees. The LL doesn't have to put up with a pile of parts anymore than a static bike. Do I hear strike 3?

Re the stolen bit, the police won't get involved in a civil matter. If you tell them of true dispute they will tell you to take it to a civil court. If you give them a false statement you could be charged with mischief.

Unless there is some angle we aren't aware of your best option might be to be nice to the LL and try to get a short stay of execution while you find an appropriate storage spot. Have you discussed renting the spot? Money = Nice

Yeah, it's a motor vehicle.. If it's unplated, that's even worse and is treated the same as a garbage pile. I got reported once for keeping an unplated car in my backyard. In any case, if there's no motor vehicle access, the area hasn't been zoned as motor vehicle parking so there's no chance in hell you'd be allowed to park there. Hell, even if your landlord was cool with it, all it would take is one nosy neighbor and the city would get involved.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]