Motorcycle removed by Landlord

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle removed by Landlord

Motorcycle removed by Landlord

Hi,

I was wondering if my landlord is allowed to get my motorcycle removed?
    There is no problem with other tenants having it parked in the backyard but the landlord just hates bikes.

After all he didn't tell me the surrounding outside space is off limits when I moved in.
    Not sure where to put my bike now? Can I park it long term in T.O. for free?

Thx

Re: Motorcycle removed by Landlord

Kick him in the nuts and ask again politely.

find a new place to live...
    Bike: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Cage: 2002 Supercharged SVT Focus

My first reaction would be to tell him to pound salt. Is there a specific part of your rental agreement that states no motorbike or personal property allowed in the yard? Sounds like discrimination to me.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

no I actually rent month-by-month but I live in a shared house

Are you actually riding it or just trying to store it in the yard? Does the landlord live on the premises?

well, I just bought it and put it there a week ago, still in the process of getting my insurance/plates. Right now there are no plates on it though.

The Landlord lives close by and is lurking around the house

tell your landlord that you belong to the hells angles and not to f with it or you or else. reverse the heat back on him.

When I had an issue with my landlord in T.O. way back I called a place that gave free advice to tenant's concerning landlord issues. Check your phonebook. Also, get familiar with the Landlord-Tenants Act. You have more rights than you think. I'm just not sure on this situation. He sounds like a real piece of work though.

my impression is that you don't have a strong legal position. Your Landlord sounds like a dick. Its probably not worth the fight, I would look into moving.

However, see my disclaimer below.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    well, I just bought it and put it there a week ago, still in the process of getting my insurance/plates. Right now there are no plates on it though.

The Landlord lives close by and is lurking around the house
    Was having a "motorcycle" a breach in lease agreement with your landlord?

Since he's month to month I'm guessing he sub-lets and isn't on the agreement. Which puts the onus on the primary renter to tell the landlord to piss off.

I do rent directly from the landlord and in fact there was never been a mention of motorcycles not being parked anywhere.

However it is in the backyard and never been explicitly allowed to use it. (even tough we have a BBQ there and bicycles storaged)

If you could find a place to store it until it is plated/nsured can you get a permit to park in the street? Is there driveway space allowed?
    2008 CBR125R
    1986 GS750EF
    1976 RD400 - 1st bike, long gone

I'm assuming you live in downtown Toronto... It's possible to get an on-street permit for parking if there is no additional parking available for you. In this case it sounds correct since you're in a shared house.

It's not that expensive... $14 / month. http://www.toronto.ca/transportation...index.htm#type

I was looking into street parking, I thought it was even free in Toronto. I will leave it there until I have plates on it tho

If the street signs indicate "by permit only" it won't be free. And free parking on Toronto streets is only good for 3 hours.
    2008 CBR125R
    1986 GS750EF

i live downtown and my permit is free (by permit only)

BBQ, bicycles, motorbike. All personal property. If he didn't have an issue with the previous 2 he shouldn't have one with the 3rd. I would definitely tell him to leave your personal property alone.

Found this site. It may help. http://www.ontariotenants.ca/index.phtml
    Last edited by DJM; 05-07-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    BBQ, bicycles, motorbike. All personal property. If he didn't have an issue with the previous 2 he shouldn't have one with the 3rd. I would definitely tell him to leave your personal property alone.
    This makes sense, but if he doesn't want you storing stuff on his property, he doesn't have to let you. OP, can you reason with your landlord, and let him know it will be plated soon?
    2008 CBR125R
    1986 GS750EF