Spring Micro-trip - South East Coast USA.

Thread: Spring Micro-trip - South East Coast USA.

Spring Micro-trip - South East Coast USA.

I'm planning to do the following little circle for a week in May:

Crossing at Sarnia, down thru the nasty Detroit/Toledo area, cruising down to WV and on to Myrtle Beach.
    Stopping there for a couple of days of (what I hope to be) reasonably warm days on which to unwind on the beach with a
    deck chair and a pitcher of Mojito.

Then I'm going to meander up the Carolina coastline, check out Kitty Hawk, try to stay out of the Alligator river,
    smell the Great Dismal Swamp, eventually crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (20 miles of it!) and in to Dover, DE.

From there, back home, making sure to go for Intercourse, probably Hershey, up through the Finger lakes region,
    and back to London.

Has anyone been on the road/bridge from Chesapeake to Dover?

Re: Spring Micro-trip - South East Coast USA.

Sounds like a good ride but with a slow start... why the SW Ontario-Detroit-Ohio detour? Not too much in the way of bike roads until very eastern Ohio, why not go down through Pennsylvania and get to some enjoyable roads sooner? Even from London I think Erie shore through Ft. Erie and down to Allegany Nat'l forest would be more interesting.

Unless your going to check out a $500 investment property in Detroit first...!
    -1979 Honda CB650 (SOLD)
    -2006 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    -2007 25th Anniversary Honda VFR800 (+50k km)

Agreed...forget Michigan and Ohio.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by 172Driver View Post
    Unless your going to check out a $500 investment property in Detroit first...!
    How'd you know that? Nah really I have family to visit in Sarnia first - don't see going all the way back to Buffalo on day 1.

Used to live in chessapeake/Virginia beach area, the bay bridge is not too bad as long as the wind is not too high otherwise you will be leaned over like you are in a turn just to go strait. Also watch out for cops along there as they love to catch ppl. Anotehr word of caution for you is that in virginia doing 20+ MPH or 80 MPH is considered reckless driving for which you have to show up in court. also if you go anywhere near Empria, VA which is at I-95 and route 58 DO NOT SPEED until you are at least outside the town limits if not a bit further, the cops there will nail you if you are going even 1MPH over. if you have any questions for that area let me know. it has been a couple of years since i lived down there but might have some answers for you or else might be able to point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete5000 View Post
    How'd you know that? Nah really I have family to visit in Sarnia first - don't see going all the way back to Buffalo on day 1.
    The glacier scrubbed that area flat.

I hope you do a ride report, i'd like to read about the coastal part and see some highlights.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I've been on the bridge, not on a bike though, good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki2000 View Post
    I've been on the bridge, not on a bike though, good luck !
    It's actually a bridge/tunnel/causeway. Toll is $12 to cross! Although, you'll definitely exceed that much in gas and road tolls detouring around the Chesapeake Bay and thru DC (150km detour loop).

I'd be interested if you could keep all you receipts and report back at the end on what you paid in total for road tolls and bridge tolls, just out of curiosity. I'd imagine it would probably be $50 or possibly more depending on route choice.