Honda CBR250R First Service...$200

Thread: Honda CBR250R First Service...$200

Honda CBR250R First Service...$200

Just called Ready Honda and they quoted me $200 for a first service + parts...which includes an oil change, and an inspection of the valve clearances, brakes, clutch, electrical, and bolts and fasteners...

First off if I did this elsewhere (ie: not a Honda dealer) would the warranty be affected? I doubt it but never got a clear answer from Honda dealer...and second of does anyone have a recommended shop in the Etobicoke area? I see Pro6 on Kipling near Parker Brothers. I can do the oil change on my own, but the inspection of the other systems...well I don't know what I'm looking for to be honest!

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

Re: Honda CBR250R First Service...$200

Quote Originally Posted by mimico_polak View Post
    Just called Ready Honda and they quoted me $200 for a first service + parts...which includes an oil change, and an inspection of the valve clearances, brakes, clutch, electrical, and bolts and fasteners...

First off if I did this elsewhere (ie: not a Honda dealer) would the warranty be affected? I doubt it but never got a clear answer from Honda dealer...and second of does anyone have a recommended shop in the Etobicoke area? I see Pro6 on Kipling near Parker Brothers. I can do the oil change on my own, but the inspection of the other systems...well I don't know what I'm looking for to be honest!
    I had the same crap with my ninja 250.. to be honest, I just paid that price so I can be on their records for the 1st services, so if the bike goes wrong I can argue with the warranty and all that (some people told me that shouldn't affect warranty but still). After that, all other services go to Rosey Toes and I am planning to do the oil changes myself.
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by mimico_polak View Post

So it's $200 for an oil change.

.........and for someone with a honda logo on their shirt to shine a fancy flashlight over the bike to "inspect" it.

Your bike is new, it's fine lol. Go somewhere else.

The valve clearances and re-shimming (if needed) is what costs -- They pretty much need to dismantle the entire bike to do this which takes a fair amoutn of time. Additionally, they should be able to produce a report to let you know the clearances after the services. If they have nothing to show, then I'd be worried they did the 'flashlight and eyeball' method instead.

Maybe I was lucky, but when I bought from Whitby-Oshawa I got them to throw in first service for free, so I'll be taking mine in when it's time. After that, I'll probably do oil and 99% of all work myself.
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

I didn't even ask if re-shimming/valve adjustment is included...the guy just said it's to 'inspect' them. Plus they won't do it on Saturday which really puts a bad timing for it...I'm not tech savvy enough to check the valve clearances.
    Can they hold warranty over my head if I do it at another shop/myself for oil/filter changes?

Speaking of does anyone have the service manual for this bike? 2011 CBR250R?

2011 CBR250R

Legally speaking you could do the service yourself, without warranty being effected. You just have more difficulty proving that your maintenance didn't cause what should be a warranty issue, later on. Give them that one bite.

At $200.00 they aren't going to be doing the valves. Not unless it's the "educated ear" style inspection.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
    The valve clearances and re-shimming (if needed) is what costs -- They pretty much need to dismantle the entire bike to do this which takes a fair amoutn of time. Additionally, they should be able to produce a report to let you know the clearances after the services. If they have nothing to show, then I'd be worried they did the 'flashlight and eyeball' method instead.

Maybe I was lucky, but when I bought from Whitby-Oshawa I got them to throw in first service for free, so I'll be taking mine in when it's time. After that, I'll probably do oil and 99% of all work myself.
    it's the "inspection of the valve clearances", not "valve adjustment"
    "valve adjustment" is 350$+

Another dealer just returned my call...total of $320+tax...wow...

2011 CBR250R

im quite sure that no dealer EVER checks valves during first service. can anyone confirm. yeah they tell you they do, but no one ever does.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    im quite sure that no dealer EVER checks valves during first service. can anyone confirm. yeah they tell you they do, but no one ever does.
    I specifically requested it, once, but have never had them checked otherwise.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde