US Bikes

Thread: US Bikes

US Bikes

Been looking at options for the next bike purchase...

It is interesting to see some the the much cheaper prices that you can find on ebay for used bikes in the US. With current exchange, it is intriguing to investigate as an option.

I know bringing the bike back has customs issues, and other beauracratic hurdles... As long as you have paperqwork in order and are patient, I don't think it's too big an issue.

So my question is what risks are there say from buying from a US vendor ebay or direct for a bike that is not seen in person? Many will offer lenghthy descriptions and pictures to point out problem areas ( I am not so daft as to believe you will be told of every problem cosmetic issue) but what protection do you have against any misrepresentation cosmetic or mechanical? I know here you could go through OMIVIC, BBB,...

Many dealers here are reluctant to provide test rides anywhay, so what would you be giviing up buying somewhat blind as far as riding.

I know there aren't definitive answers, but I am looking for thoughts from members.
    Would you take this risk to save a few hundred to a couople thousand dollars?
    It seems often there is so much more selection at US dealers 8-12 hours from the border. it would be easy to make a long weekend out of it to run down, pick up the bike and trailer back to the border

Re: US Bikes

The guy I bought my bike from sent pictures of the only scratch on the bike. It was so low on the fairing you wouldn't even think to look. The bike was close enough to the border that if it wasn't as described it wasn't a major loss if the deal fell through.
    If the bike is on the RIV list the border process is simple. Read the "be all and end all" sticky.

Risk and reward. I saved about $4K by taking a day trip. Patience is the key. I watched for about six months before the right bike, seller and place came together.