Loaning your bike

Thread: Loaning your bike

Loaning your bike

Curious, would my insurance policy cover people who are borrowing my bike but do not have motorcycle insurance of their own?

Re: Loaning your bike

Quote Originally Posted by ChiGGz View Post
    Curious, would my insurance policy cover people who are borrowing my bike but do not have motorcycle insurance of their own?
    Yes it will.
    "Anyone can open the throttle and go fast, but it takes real skill to bank a motorcycle around a corner so that you feel like if you get any lower, you might **** your pants."

Quote Originally Posted by Giti View Post
    I hate cars that provoke bikers to speed or race. The outcome is always the same. We win.
    1997 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    1995 Honda XR650L
    1993 Suzuki RMX250R
    1994 Suzuki Katana GSX 600 - SOLD

Sadly tho the effect of any accident if claimed would be a double edged sword. The driver would get it on his/her driving record, and you get the insurance record. Both suffer in the event of something foul happening.
    Bike: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Cage: 2002 Supercharged SVT Focus

Would the rider borrowing the motorcycle need to carry an insurance slip on them?

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    Would the rider borrowing the motorcycle need to carry an insurance slip on them?
    Of course. If they get pulled over and don't have one, they can get cited for failing to produce proof of insurance. At the very least, keep a photocopy of your current insurance slip and ownership (front and back, with current validation stickers) under your seat, most cops won't give you too hard a time if you have at least that.

the insurance is on the bike, not the rider (well, whoever is riding it becomes insured because it's the bike that's insured, and not the owner)

but the insurance policy owner will get dinged for any claims made by the rider, so you better trust (a lot) whoever you loan the bike out to.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Read your policy...that is my suggestion. Don't assume anything - while visiting my folks over xmas, I borrowed my dad's car without his knowledge, and it turned out his policy did not cover other drivers.

I'm with State Farm. One year I had 3 bikes insured on the road. I asked my agent about it, and said that I would be loaning them to friends and the gf, they told me no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by holotape View Post
    Read your policy...that is my suggestion. Don't assume anything - while visiting my folks over xmas, I borrowed my dad's car without his knowledge, and it turned out his policy did not cover other drivers.
    Good point. If there had been a collision either your dad would have to pay the claim or charge you with theft. Nasty either way.

Quote Originally Posted by holotape View Post
    Do your folks live in Ontario?
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa