How were your nerves ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How were your nerves ..

How were your nerves ..

when that day came to pick up your first bike ever and drive off leaving the dealers lot?
    How did you guys deal with the adrenaline rush when you made that first turn onto the roadway?
    Is it better to go alone or is it better to have a cager drive behind you just in case or does that make you more nervous?

I bought my first bike ever this weekend and haven't slept properly cause everything is happening so fast for me. I bought the bike at Cycle World in Agincourt and have to drive all the way back to mississauga. Can you tell the stress level is high yet lol.

Be Safe Everyone.

Just get on and ride. No point overthinking it.
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

Re: How were your nerves ..

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWolfman View Post
    when that day came to pick up your first bike ever and drive off leaving the dealers lot?
    How did you guys deal with the adrenaline rush when you made that first turn onto the roadway?
    Is it better to go alone or is it better to have a cager drive behind you just in case or does that make you more nervous?

I bought my first bike ever this weekend and haven't slept properly cause everything is happening so fast for me. I bought the bike at Cycle World in Agincourt and have to drive all the way back to mississauga. Can you tell the stress level is high yet lol.

Be Safe Everyone.
    Whack off alot
    51 Panhead FL Chop, 2011 MV Agusta F4

I had a buddy ride it for me, thank god too, I wasn't ready for rush hour at all. Spent a weekend practising on my road until I slowly took it out in traffic.

When your new you spend a lot of time thinking about how to ride, and not what's happening around you. Ask a friend if you can.
    I don't ride a bike for safety.

If its some kinda cool or fast bike Ill ride it back for you if you purchase me a beer before and after the ride.
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

I do recall trying to start my already running new motorcycle at one point..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by sonnythebull View Post
    Whack off alot
    Again, words to live by via Sonny

In general, a better rule of thumb is to get a friend / experienced rider to take it home or to a local parking lot so you can get a feel for riding before you venture on the road.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

Most people get an experienced friend to get it home safely for them
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

I got my wife to drive behind me. I just remembered everything I learned at the course and was fine(caused a lot of traffic behind me and annoyed my wife lol) also I picked up my bike the day after I finished the course which made it a little easier.

I just went slow. The bike felt heavy on the highway, having only done maybe 50 km/h for a few seconds during the M1x. The amount of force required to effectively countersteer hadn't sunk in yet. Also, was lugging the engine a bit because I wasn't used to the RPM range.

Had to lead my friend in his car through roads I'd never been on before. It worked out. Just go slow.
    There is no planet B.

I did about two laps of the old Kahuna parking lot and then ventured out onto the road. I was 19 and it had been over 5 years since I had been on motorized two wheels. I wasn't too scared just in awe...Then I ventured out and stalled at the first set of lights. It was either that the idle hadn't been properly adjust or it wasn't fully warmed up (notoriously lean 250s), either way the cagers were nice as I duck walked to the shoulder, they probably knew I was a noob riding fresh out of the lot...

I had rider friend follow in the cage if I had to bail. It was from Suzuki of Brampton to SQ1 in rush hour, no highway. It was big deal as it was first time on the bike in real traffic. SOB did not make things easy either. Clutch was not adjusted right and when engine warmed up it would not shift in the first gear anymore. Trial by fire but all was fine...

I never went to a dealer. My first bike was used and the guy i bought it from rode it to my driveway, where it sat for another month while i waited for the 60 days before i could pick up my m2 and get plates. But while waiting for that i was a bit nervous because i hadn't ridden in over a month (after riding school) and the bike i bought was a lot
    more powerful than the 250 cruiser i learned on, so i did have some worries that when i first fired it up and let out the clutch i might go flying out of my driveway and into traffic lol. But when all was said and done it was a piece of cake. I just took it easy at first and stuck to non busy roads. The first few nights i just went to a nearby malls parking lot after hours and practiced there while i got used to the bike. The first couple of weeks after that i commuted to work, and had a few stalls at lights, which is embarassing, but i think most people go through that in the beginning.
    Last edited by Johnny5; 05-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thowe View Post
    I had a buddy ride it for me, thank god too, I wasn't ready for rush hour at all. Spent a weekend practising on my road until I slowly took it out in traffic.

When your new you spend a lot of time thinking about how to ride, and not what's happening around you. Ask a friend if you can.
    i did the same thing.
    i bought a used bike and it was a hour drive away so i had my friend ride it home for me.
    last summer he bought his first bike and it was 5 hours away and he had another friend ride it home for him.
    i guess next summer ill be riding someone else's bike home for them lol

i kept it in my neighbourhood for the first day...then i needed gas so i had to go out lol

I bought my bike from GP and ripped it up and down the street there for a bit. Good to get a few hard pulls on the engine before you get out on the road. Try not to take the highway, back roads with different speeds and hills will be good for the bike. Don't turn hard for the first little bit as the ties have a protective film on them.

When are you picking the bike up?
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I've always had mine trucked home with a friend, then I checked their PDI thoroughly, then I took it around in a parking lot to get used to it at slow speeds.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

shat myself going 80km/hr while cars were passing me on kennedy thinking god! these guys are ripping it down the street
    looked down at my speedo, i was going 40km/hr LOL

had my brother drive behind me to block off tail gaters.
    2004 Blue GSXR 600 (current)
    2010 red ninja 250r (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWolfman View Post

Be Safe Everyone.
    Try avoid Rush Hour traffic. 11am would be good.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Do they deliver?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.