How were your nerves ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How were your nerves ..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How were your nerves ..

when that day came to pick up your first bike ever and drive off leaving the dealers lot?
    How did you guys deal with the adrenaline rush when you made that first turn onto the roadway?
    Is it better to go alone or is it better to have a cager drive behind you just in case or does that make you more nervous?

I bought my first bike ever this weekend and haven't slept properly cause everything is happening so fast for me. I bought the bike at Cycle World in Agincourt and have to drive all the way back to mississauga. Can you tell the stress level is high yet lol.

Be Safe Everyone.

Just get on and ride. No point overthinking it.
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

Re: How were your nerves ..

I had a buddy ride it for me, thank god too, I wasn't ready for rush hour at all. Spent a weekend practising on my road until I slowly took it out in traffic.

When your new you spend a lot of time thinking about how to ride, and not what's happening around you. Ask a friend if you can.
    I don't ride a bike for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by thowe View Post
    I had a buddy ride it for me, thank god too, I wasn't ready for rush hour at all. Spent a weekend practising on my road until I slowly took it out in traffic.

When your new you spend a lot of time thinking about how to ride, and not what's happening around you. Ask a friend if you can.
    i did the same thing.
    i bought a used bike and it was a hour drive away so i had my friend ride it home for me.
    last summer he bought his first bike and it was 5 hours away and he had another friend ride it home for him.
    i guess next summer ill be riding someone else's bike home for them lol

i kept it in my neighbourhood for the first day...then i needed gas so i had to go out lol

I bought my bike from GP and ripped it up and down the street there for a bit. Good to get a few hard pulls on the engine before you get out on the road. Try not to take the highway, back roads with different speeds and hills will be good for the bike. Don't turn hard for the first little bit as the ties have a protective film on them.

When are you picking the bike up?
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I've always had mine trucked home with a friend, then I checked their PDI thoroughly, then I took it around in a parking lot to get used to it at slow speeds.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWolfman View Post
    when that day came to pick up your first bike ever and drive off leaving the dealers lot?
    How did you guys deal with the adrenaline rush when you made that first turn onto the roadway?
    Is it better to go alone or is it better to have a cager drive behind you just in case or does that make you more nervous?

I bought my first bike ever this weekend and haven't slept properly cause everything is happening so fast for me. I bought the bike at Cycle World in Agincourt and have to drive all the way back to mississauga. Can you tell the stress level is high yet lol.

Be Safe Everyone.
    Whack off alot
    51 Panhead FL Chop, 2011 MV Agusta F4

Quote Originally Posted by sonnythebull View Post
    Whack off alot
    Again, words to live by via Sonny

In general, a better rule of thumb is to get a friend / experienced rider to take it home or to a local parking lot so you can get a feel for riding before you venture on the road.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

I got my wife to drive behind me. I just remembered everything I learned at the course and was fine(caused a lot of traffic behind me and annoyed my wife lol) also I picked up my bike the day after I finished the course which made it a little easier.

I just went slow. The bike felt heavy on the highway, having only done maybe 50 km/h for a few seconds during the M1x. The amount of force required to effectively countersteer hadn't sunk in yet. Also, was lugging the engine a bit because I wasn't used to the RPM range.

Had to lead my friend in his car through roads I'd never been on before. It worked out. Just go slow.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnythebull View Post
    Whack off alot
    Give the guy a little more detail, he's new at this.

What Sonny is actually suggesting is to whack off WHILE you ride it home. This will give you something familiar to focus on to calm your nerves.
    It's understanding that makes it possible for a person such as myself to tolerate a person like you.

If its some kinda cool or fast bike Ill ride it back for you if you purchase me a beer before and after the ride.
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

I do recall trying to start my already running new motorcycle at one point..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Most people get an experienced friend to get it home safely for them
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWolfman View Post

Be Safe Everyone.
    Try avoid Rush Hour traffic. 11am would be good.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Do they deliver?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Lots of good advice above. I just upgraded from a 250 and can say that if your nerves are bad now, definitely get a friend to ride it home for you. Then practice in a parking lot until you're comfortable to start on streets. Definitely take a course and try not to think too much about it and you'll be fine.

I bought my CBR 250 new last year and took my time getting used to it in the dealer lot. When I felt confident enough, I stalled it. Then I proceeded to slowly pull to the front of the lot facing Hwy 48 during rush hour and waited for ages until I felt like I had a space to merge. When I did, I popped the front end up mid-turn and shat a brick. The ride home was spent shaking from the fear, nervousness, epic happiness and excitement of buying my first bike. I'd recommend having an experienced rider ferry it to your home/driveway/garage, or spend a little more and get it delivered. However, there is nothing like baptism by fire!

First time ever on two motorized wheels for me was in Vietnam where my friends and I went on 125cc honda "wave series" motorbikes. Manual gear shift with no clutch. We rented them and with literally no experience or muscle memory, or safety training I managed to get it up to 95km/h down a beautiful road with the ocean on one side and rolling hills on the other. Then we stopped for beers, then continued back. :S

The first time being a passenger was a few days earlier for a 45 minute ride on the back of one. I was holding on to the back for dear life and my arms hurt for two days after, hah.

Anyway, when I picked up my first "real" bike, It was a used one that was dropped off at my house, then I had it dropped off at Rosey Toes and picked it up from there. I had my mom follow me in her car all the way to downtown on weston-->keele-->parkside and then on lakeshore.

Gotta admit, I fell in love with riding right then and there.