Coolant advice from SON

Thread: Coolant advice from SON

Coolant advice from SON

So i did my coolant chane for the first time and purchased my coolant from SON. I couldn't find this engine ice stuff I was reading about so I went on SON's recommendation. He said 2 bottles would be enough. My engine shot up to 125 degrees. I have 2000ml from SON, I've been reading that I need 2600+ (not including the resovoir).
    K7 600
    Thoughts?
    i tried burping repeatedly, loosened up the bleeder bolt, is this just a case of not having enough coolant? I think I need to go back to SON unless they happen to have some at Walmart and pick up another bottle.

Re: Coolant advice from SON

Ignore anything you were told while at SON. Buy the stuff from canadian tire / walmart and follow your manual for the amount required.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Ignore anything you were told while at SON. Buy the stuff from canadian tire / walmart and follow your manual for the amount required.
    Engine ice is sold cheapest at royal distributors. I believe it's 20bucks. Works great and 2600 mills sounds right and make sure you fill the resivor!

cant believe people still go to SON, and SON is still in business lol

Quote Originally Posted by mf5 View Post
    Engine ice is sold cheapest at royal distributors. I believe it's 20bucks. Works great and 2600 mills sounds right and make sure you fill the resivor!
    I meant to buy the standard pre-mix stuff and ignore anything being said at SON
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Well, 2L was $36. I need to buy 1 more bottle so now we're talking $54 total. Anyways, the nearest royal distributing place to me is still 45 mins away, do they sell this engine ice stuff anywhere else? I couldn't find motorcycle fluid at Walmart or Canadian tire. I think I should just finish this coolant change with this stuff from SON and call it a day for going there. I just ran out of places to go and needed coolant in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by itinkle View Post
    Well, 2L was $36. I need to buy 1 more bottle so now we're talking $54 total. Anyways, the nearest royal distributing place to me is still 45 mins away, do they sell this engine ice stuff anywhere else? I couldn't find motorcycle fluid at Walmart or Canadian tire. I think I should just finish this coolant change with this stuff from SON and call it a day for going there. I just ran out of places to go and needed coolant in a hurry.
    Why are you so hung up on engine ice?
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    cant believe people still go to SON, and SON is still in business lol
    They actually bought the suzuki in Richmond hill as well. so yes, they're in business and expanding.
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Why are you so hung up on engine ice?
    I love engine ice

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    I love engine ice

-Jamie M.
    EI's primary benefit is that it's poly vs ethyl glycol based... and supposedly not as toxic. I'm not sure about it's thermal claims over ethyl however, most research seems to suggest that ethyl has better thermal properties. If I were to use EI I would cut it down a tad with distilled water (assuming -15 temps are not a consideration). There are lots of good products for bikes out there, but none of them can be found at Cdn Tire... the main concern with putting standard auto coolant in your bike is the presence of silicate in "off the shelf" prestone type stuff. These silicates can damage and wear down the small plastic impellers the water pumps on our bikes have... I would suggest going for something designed for bikes (which has non of these silicates)... engine ice, motocool etc. or if you're tracking just plain distilled water with some water wetter...

Nobody has any thing good to say about S.O.N's service dept. but you can't ignore the fact that they are one of the top selling Suzuki motorcycle retailers in Canada. It may be horse *****, but salesman I spoke with claims they sell 1000 bikes a year.
    Aurora

you know you don't need engine ice ... any old coolant will do as long as it says on the bottle that its safe for us in aluminum block motors...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian1974 View Post
    EI's primary benefit is that it's poly vs ethyl glycol based... and supposedly not as toxic. I'm not sure about it's thermal claims over ethyl however, most research seems to suggest that ethyl has better thermal properties. If I were to use EI I would cut it down a tad with distilled water (assuming -15 temps are not a consideration). There are lots of good products for bikes out there, but none of them can be found at Cdn Tire... the main concern with putting standard auto coolant in your bike is the presence of silicate in "off the shelf" prestone type stuff. These silicates can damage and wear down the small plastic impellers the water pumps on our bikes have... I would suggest going for something designed for bikes (which has non of these silicates)... engine ice, motocool etc. or if you're tracking just plain distilled water with some water wetter...
    plastic impellers?, what is that hyosung?

brave may die, weak never lived at all

Quote Originally Posted by viccont View Post
    plastic impellers?, what is that hyosung?
    Unfortunately no, many bikes (Kawi, Ducati, Aprilia, Triumph etc.) ship with plastic impellers installed at the factory.
    Last edited by Acadian1974; 05-07-2012 at 04:45 PM.

I think that if you go with any antifreeze that is labelled "long life" and is claimed to be good for 5 yrs or 100,000kms then it will be silicate free. Silicates will eat away the seals and eventually your water pump will leak.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill

Take a close look at the antifreeze at CT almost all are silicate free and have been for years.