knee down all day, do your legs get tired?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knee down all day, do your legs get tired?

knee down all day, do your legs get tired?

so i find after a long day of track, my legs get pretty sore. mostly from knee down. i think im putting too much downward pressure. do y'all just gently put your knee down? i find if i knee down too gently my knees will just come in towards the bike and i will continue to lean the bike until i lowside lol, so i pretty much almost dig my knee into the ground

also, how many track days do your knee pucks last?

Re: knee down all day, do your legs get tired?

do squats like a mofo.

knee sliders are more 'feelers' than 'pushers'.
    Don't brake until you see God.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha Snackbar View Post
    do squats like a mofo.

knee sliders are more 'feelers' than 'pushers'.
    fanning out your knees use different muscles than squats tho lol

Duck feet leg press. Obviously position your feet outwards like a duck on the leg press and do medium weight, with a bunch of reps. This will help target inside the quads which you use when extending the knee.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    fanning out your knees use different muscles than squats tho lol
    Well you seem to be doing it wrong if you're putting weight on your knee.

Not that I'm an expert in body position but I find squatting exercises eliminate all soreness in my legs that I used to get after a track day.
    There is no planet B.

so do y'all feel any strong resistance at all when you put knee down? for me obviously a lot since i push down moderately hard lol.

how often do you replace knee pucks? im now on my fifth set in just 2 seasons, errrrr
    Last edited by SkyRider; 05-06-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Try to see if you can go just as fast without the knee down.Sounds to me like you are a bit obsessed with the friction of your knee on the ground.It's just a gauge of how far over you are.Maybe try getting the bike more upright with a bigger contact patch and more throttle.Just a thought.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
    Duck feet leg press. Obviously position your feet outwards like a duck on the leg press and do medium weight, with a bunch of reps. This will help target inside the quads which you use when extending the knee.
    Which muscles do you think this targets specifically?
    No trees were harmed in the making of this message, though a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Don't push down hard with your knee - that's why you are tiring yourself out and that's why you are going through knee pucks. Just touch it down, that's all. The only time you should push down hard with your knee is if you feel the front end letting go ...

With the condition of the pavement on all local tracks (Calabogie excepted), pushing down hard with your knee is asking for the puck to get caught in a ripple. With the way my bike is set up, my right knee usually touches at the same moment as the footpeg (I use stock folding footpegs on the track). My left hip is messed up a bit so I hardly ever touch that one down ... my left leg won't bend far enough.

I've done maybe a dozen track days since I started getting my knee down, and they're just a little scuffed evenly around the edges.

so do y'all feel any strong resistance at all when you put knee down? for me obviously a lot since i push down moderately hard lol.

how often do you replace knee pucks? im now on my fifth set in just 2 seasons, errrrr
    The fatigue does not come from actually putting your knee against the pavement, you shouldn't be pushing that hard either. It comes from supporting 100% of your weight on your inside leg through a corner. The only time you really need to push in that hard is if you're mid-lowside and are trying to save it. In 1.5 season I have not only gone through half a set of knee sliders. It's not a support member for me, its a feeler guage. Touch and lift, touch and lift, touch and lift.

Squats would help. So would riding a bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Well you seem to be doing it wrong if you're putting weight on your knee.

Not that I'm an expert in body position but I find squatting exercises eliminate all soreness in my legs that I used to get after a track day.

Agreed. You'll get the same 'feel of soreness' from a hardcore sets of squats after the winter as you would after your first trackday.
    Don't brake until you see God.

At Bogie I ram my knee into the ground "GOT that knee down shot Mr. Photographer?! GOT IT?!"
    *~Maggie~*

so i find after a long day of track, my legs get pretty sore. mostly from knee down. i think im putting too much downward pressure. do y'all just gently put your knee down? i find if i knee down too gently my knees will just come in towards the bike and i will continue to lean the bike until i lowside lol, so i pretty much almost dig my knee into the ground

also, how many track days do your knee pucks last?
    years

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha_Gurl View Post
    At Bogie I ram my knee into the ground "GOT that knee down shot Mr. Photographer?! GOT IT?!"

LOL I do that too

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    years
    Love those bickles.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    years
    First season of knee down I went thru 2 sets. Now I try and preserve them. It's just another expense to avoid. Last time I truly pushed on my knee was when my front end started sliding away from me. At tracks I'm familiar with i'm tucking my knee in. Unless I spot the track photographer of course.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Once I feel the knee start to scrape, I'll pull it back up slightly.... no need to change anything else.

I also position the knee sliders so only 1/2 actually makes contact.... when that side runs down enough, I can just rotate them and I have brand new sliders.
    Last edited by Mr.Azim; 05-07-2012 at 12:27 PM.

When I get home I'll take a pic of my Arlen Ness sliders that have a few dozen trackdays and maybe 12 race weekends on them.

I slide more on elbows, shoulders, hips, back, *** and head than I do on the knee pucks