Speedometer reads higher !!! any suggestions ? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedometer reads higher !!! any suggestions ?

Re: Speedometer reads higher !!! any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by viper84737 View Post
    I did not mean gearing. I meant SpeedoHealer and SpeedoDRD devices. My understanding is that the signal comes from a single source, a wheel speed indicator, which is then translated into a speedometer reading via simple math. Since that signal doesn't seem to be interrupted in any of these devices, then split off and calculated separately by the ECU, I fail to see how one can change just the speedometer reading without affecting the odometer value itself.

Are you 100% SURE they calibrate BOTH speedometer AND odometer to correct values? If so, can you provide evidence, for I have testimony to the contrary.
    Not sure exactly what you mean by this?
    On my bike if you change your gearing your odometer and speedometer will be effected.
    From the speedohealer website in the FAQ section (#5) it says since there is only 1 speed signal it will calibrate them both: http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Not sure exactly what you mean by this?
    On my bike if you change your gearing your odometer and speedometer will be effected.
    From the speedohealer website in the FAQ section (#5) it says since there is only 1 speed signal it will calibrate them both: http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
    Please go back and re-read my posts in this thread. I never mentioned gearing once.

According to this FAQ we have our answer for Speedohealer, if not both. It says it will calibrate them BOTH, which is unwanted. We only want the speedometer data calibrated, as the bike's computers are already calibrated properly for odometer information.

Q.E.D.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Please go back and re-read my posts in this thread. I never mentioned gearing once.

According to this FAQ we have our answer for Speedohealer, if not both. It says it will calibrate them BOTH, which is unwanted. We only want the speedometer data calibrated, as the bike's computers are already calibrated properly for odometer information.

Q.E.D.
    Ok, I was getting confused and didn't realize you were talking about the factory error, Most people don't get a speedohealer to fix the factory error as every vehicle ever produced has one somewhere between +/-10%.
    Majority of people that use these devices are the ones that change their gearing and their speedos are off 15-30%.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Are you 100% SURE they calibrate BOTH speedometer AND odometer to correct values? If so, can you provide evidence, for I have testimony to the contrary.
    yea im sure it corrects both values. matched the before and after to my buddy's R6 which has a correct reading odo.
    after a ride i was reading 9km higher than him (78/69) and we started the ride at the same place and ended the same place comparing odometers before and after the ride

after installing the speedodrd, also compared the odo before and after ride, and we were now logging excatly the same distance on the odo

plus to install the speedoDRD, i have to disconnect the speed sensor just infront of the front sprocket, and plug the speedoDRD inbetween that and the wiring that goes to the clusters
    2004 Blue GSXR 600 (current)
    2010 red ninja 250r (Sold)

I am under the impression these devices will throw off the odometer while fixing the speedometer. Any insights?
    That would depend on whether the factory speedo error is accounted for in the factor odometer calculation. I'm not sure if it is or isn't. It's most likely that the odometers are slightly off as well. I remember some highways where you could check your odometer readings and they had mile markers on the side of the road. I guess you could try the same thing with the GPS now.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

I am under the impression these devices will throw off the odometer while fixing the speedometer. Any insights?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDirty View Post
    That would depend on whether the factory speedo error is accounted for in the factor odometer calculation. I'm not sure if it is or isn't. It's most likely that the odometers are slightly off as well. I remember some highways where you could check your odometer readings and they had mile markers on the side of the road. I guess you could try the same thing with the GPS now.
    The odometer and speedometer cannot be independently made "accurate" without affecting the other one.

On most production vehicles, with the factory setup, it will be found that the odometer is accurate within a small percentage (+/- 1% is not unusual and is mostly due to tire rolling diameter tolerance, tire wear, etc) and the speedometer will intentionally display a higher number than the actual speed. It isn't that the computer that displays the odometer and speedometer is wrong, the error is deliberately built into the instrument. The speed is calculated with the same precision as the odometer (using the same speed sensor signal) and then multiplied by 1.07 (or whatever) before being displayed. This happens internally to the little microcomputer that operates the display, so there isn't anything that can practically be done about it.

If you alter the speed sensor signal input to that microcomputer, you can artificially divide the speed sensor signal by (let's say) 1.07 to get the speedometer displaying the correct speed, but this will throw off your odometer and trip-meter by exactly the same factor.

If you are anal about calculating fuel consumption or oil change intervals then you will have to make that adjustment when doing that calculation to get your actual fuel consumption based on kilometers "on the road" as opposed to the displayed (and now slightly incorrect) number.

Personally, given this choice, I'd rather have the speedometer correct and the odometer wrong.

Check to see if it is a true reading at 80kph. I heard it was a calibration benchmark.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca