docs to carry with bike while riding

Thread: docs to carry with bike while riding

docs to carry with bike while riding

could be a stupid question but could someone clarify this please, do you need to carry the bike's vehicle permit/ownership title when riding? along with the insurance liability slip. there's only 1, what if you lose it? can u just get another copy from mto just like that? what about the sticker that they put on the back of the title for the plate?

if you have to carry the title, do you leave it with the bike? where do you guys usually place it?

thanks.

Re: docs to carry with bike while riding

Yes, you are required to bring all documents with you while riding, just like driving your car, you leave all your documents in your car just in case you got pulled over. You can photo copy the ownership front and back and leave it in your bike so you won't lose the original one.
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

I leave the originals at home and carried a photo copy of both the ownership and insurance slip. This way I can always make more copies if needed.
    Ride:
    2010 Suzuki SV650SA White (Current)
    2009 Ninja 250r Black (2009 - 2010)
    License:
    GM (2010-07-07)

Right now I keep both my ownership and insurance slip in my riding jacket, since I'm hesitant to leave the ownership on/in the bike itself. One question though -- I've always heard that sometimes a photocopy is ok, but others have told me that police can say they only want the original (which means you are screwed if you don't have it on you). I'm guessing there would also be no argument if a photocopy was notarized by a notary public, but then who actually does that...
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

i know people who have gotten tickets carrying temporary insurance slips; they requested an early-resolution with the prosecutor, provided both their temporary and valid pink slips and the ticket was dropped

the problem with photocopied paperwork is that they could easily be shopped, vs. getting your hands on the pink ontario-flagged paper; if you don't already know, police can't check whether your insurance is valid or not unless they call the 1-800-Number for your insurance company and inquire

i ran into a problem where i was rear-ended and the other driver provided the police with a fake photocopied insurance slip, which they unknowingly recorded on the accident report; i found out later from my insurance that his insurance cancelled two years before the accident

i ended up paying the deductible to get my car out of the shop because he was uninsured

i just keep my originals in my wallet with my drivers license; imagine giving the police a photocopy of your drivers license?

If you keep a copy, you need to keep a TRUE copy of the original which means BOTH sides with none of the edges cut-off. Just like car rental companies do.

Quote Originally Posted by Smutty View Post
    If you keep a copy, you need to keep a TRUE copy of the original which means BOTH sides with none of the edges cut-off. Just like car rental companies do.
    I photo-copy both sides of the ownership so the plate sticker is there as well for verification with the plate. I carry original insurance slips, since I get 4 copies in the mail for 2 vehicles...

Don't know if you are, but carry your organ donor card as well if you intend to donate. And obviously your drivers license.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I carry the original documents in my wallet so there is never any issue with photocopies.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

I carry notarized copies that a notarized myself. lol
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

I don't know where my documents are but I don't plan to get pulled over so no worries

I carry a photocopy of ownership, original insurance slip, and original driver license. I would never leave that sort of thing in/on my bike anywhere!! Put it in your wallet where it belongs.

hmm.

so what's the risk if somebody gets a hold of a 'copy' of your title and insurance slip?

i dont think anyone can use a copy of the title to register the bike and if they get the 'details' from it, they would have to provide or make an extremely well madae counterfeit papers no?

same with insurance slip i guess.

just curious.

i carry the original insurance slip in my wallet and copy of the title.

I use to work with the MTO. You are allowed to carry a photocopy of the ownership, but be sure to sign the photocopy on plate portion (copy the back and front, tape three sides at the edges to make a pouch then put your insurance slip inside it) . The insurance slip must be the pink slip they send you.