Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

Thread: Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

Like the topics says, at a red light, can I go by a car on the right to turn right, using either part of their lane or the shoulder? I wonder if this is the same as lane splitting in the eyes of the law.

I've searched and read posts on lane splitting/sharing but didn't see this specific situation referenced.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Not sure I think maybe not legal I got a ticket for something similar "pass off roadway" or something

Re: Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

If there's no dotted line to indicate a separate right turn lane, I would assume that squeezing by the car in front you would be like you passing the other person in their own lane which would make that illegal.

But I do it if there's enough room, if there isn't I don't make an extra effort to try an squeeze by.

From what I remember...
    legal= sharing a lane to pass a vehicle making a right turn
    not legal= sharing lane w/ vehicle infront of you to make a righ turn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    Current: '90 GSXR 750
    2nd: '08 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    [Yoshimura TRS Slip-on; K&N Hi-Flo filter; Fenderectomy; Sprockets (F -1/15T-JT | R +2/46T-Driven) ; Renthal Gold Chain; AVON AV45/46 tyres (17K kms and counting) ]
    1st: '08 Honda CBR125R (SOLD)
    [Arrow Slip-on]

"Four wheels carries your body; two wheels carries your soul."
    "I don't ride to be seen, I ride to disappear."

Quote Originally Posted by Dayao12 View Post
    From what I remember...
    ^ yes
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

well, guess I'm an outlaw.
    hear that ladies? I'm dangerous
    http://www.hi5exposure.com
    F4i > CB360T > CB750K > CBR954RR > GSXR1000 > 640Adv > Vino125 > SR50 > GSXR600 > Vespa 250 GTS > GS500 > CBR125r > zx-6r

Quote Originally Posted by urameatball View Post
    well, guess I'm an outlaw.
    hear that ladies? I'm dangerous
    Well well..look who it is..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dayao12 View Post
    From what I remember...

I would say both of these are not legal, you are obstructed from other cagers creating an unsafe situation. If a car cant do it neather can you. Stay safe out there, too many people going down this season!
    "Be good or be good at it"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2011 Triumph Daytona 675SE - Current
    2005 Suzuki SV650S - 20,000km - SOLD
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - 8,000km - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Cha0s00100 View Post
    I would say both of these are not legal, you are obstructed from other cagers creating an unsafe situation. If a car cant do it neather can you. Stay safe out there, too many people going down this season!
    I did read thr former situation off an HTA excerpt. It's the same thing with sharing a lane with parked cars. Fully legal, aslong as your vehicle is within the lane. Ex: lanes on the danforth can comfortable fit a parked and a moving car. But lanes on Bayview are small and only a motorcycle can squeeze in. That's always my route out of dt during rush hour.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    Current: '90 GSXR 750
    2nd: '08 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    [Yoshimura TRS Slip-on; K&N Hi-Flo filter; Fenderectomy; Sprockets (F -1/15T-JT | R +2/46T-Driven) ; Renthal Gold Chain; AVON AV45/46 tyres (17K kms and counting) ]
    1st: '08 Honda CBR125R (SOLD)
    [Arrow Slip-on]

"Four wheels carries your body; two wheels carries your soul."
    "I don't ride to be seen, I ride to disappear."

Quote Originally Posted by Cha0s00100 View Post
    It sounds to me like you don't understand what he is saying. the first one is passing a vehcle on the LEFT when its turning right.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

If the lane is wide enough to safely accommodate two vehicles it is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian1974 View Post
    (b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or

I didn't ding the M2X rider today for it...
    Isn't the key phrase being "in each direction". To me that implies its still illegal for tow vehicles going the SAME direction.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Legal shmegal, if there's enough room and the car in front isn't turning right then just do it. That's how I would roll.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Cars do this already, who cares if bikes are doing it. I highly doubt you'll get any tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by iegod View Post
    Cars do this already, who cares if bikes are doing it. I highly doubt you'll get any tickets.

Stunting tickets have been given ( went to court, and convicted ) for this exact move.

While my personal view is that a ticket is unlikely, people should not know hold an illusion that you couldn't get a ticket for it ( stunting no less).
    Last edited by OpenGambit; 05-08-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    Stunting tickets have been given ( went to court, and convicted ) for this exact move.
    I can't honestly believe they were convicted for stunting for simply turning right when there wasn't a clear demarcation for multiple lanes. If stunting was issued, there was something else at play. Do you have a reference for this? Surely there's a public court record.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post

While my personal view is that a ticket is unlikely, people should not know hold an illusion that you couldn't get a ticket for it ( stunting no less).
    No not that exact move. Don't try and misrepresent that one case where the guy squeezed by a row of cars turning left and he screwed himself by buckling under the cross and admitting to having to weave his mirrors past other cars and not having been able to determine what some cars in the line had been signalling, either to turn right or turn left.

I believe the defendant was named Bunda or something.

Essentially the guy admitted to not having safe sufficient room and not knowing what the other cars he was passing were intent on doing. You are deliberately scare mongering and misrepresenting to suggest passing to make a right turn with ample room will result in stunting or even has resulted in that charge.

Next thing you know you'll be worried about wearing white after labour day.
    It's understanding that makes it possible for a person such as myself to tolerate a person like you.

OP - I do this almost every day along King St in the west end. If there is 1-3 cars stopped and there is tons of room (which there is) I will pass them on the right while they are stopped and make a right onto Jameson. Been dong it for 3-4 years and I know I`ve done it past cops before and they never even stopped talking on their cell phones long enough to notice. Maybe I`m just lucky but I think they really don`t care. No idea of the legality of my maneuver though.