Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

Thread: Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    Stunting tickets have been given ( went to court, and convicted ) for this exact move.

While my personal view is that a ticket is unlikely, people should not know hold an illusion that you couldn't get a ticket for it ( stunting no less).
    No not that exact move. Don't try and misrepresent that one case where the guy squeezed by a row of cars turning left and he screwed himself by buckling under the cross and admitting to having to weave his mirrors past other cars and not having been able to determine what some cars in the line had been signalling, either to turn right or turn left.

I believe the defendant was named Bunda or something.

Essentially the guy admitted to not having safe sufficient room and not knowing what the other cars he was passing were intent on doing. You are deliberately scare mongering and misrepresenting to suggest passing to make a right turn with ample room will result in stunting or even has resulted in that charge.

Re: Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by awyala View Post
    No not that exact move. Don't try and misrepresent that one case where the guy squeezed by a row of cars turning left and he screwed himself by buckling under the cross and admitting to having to weave his mirrors past other cars and not having been able to determine what some cars in the line had been signalling, either to turn right or turn left.

I believe the defendant was named Bunda or something.

Essentially the guy admitted to not having safe sufficient room and not knowing what the other cars he was passing were intent on doing. You are deliberately scare mongering and misrepresenting to suggest passing to make a right turn with ample room will result in stunting or even has resulted in that charge.
    I don't need to misrepresent anything. I don't care what you do, or what tickets you get. However, any suggestion that "squeezing by on the right" as stated by the OP is legal is patently false.

The fact of the matter is, if you are in a position where you are arguing about the nuances of the decision at roadside, you are already ****ed.

No one can predict whether one would actually get charged or convicted, but all that needs to be known is that people have gotten sucessfully prosecuted under 172 for it, and in the case of 172, you lost by the time you got to court anyway.

I am not going to bother arguing about what I think is the limits of the decision, I have my own views on the matter but I won't be broadcasting my legal opinion for the simple fact that it won't be helpful. If you are in a situation roadside with a cop who knows the decision and decided he is gonna enforce it one day, arguing about the details of the decision isn't gonna matter, your bike is still on a flatbed. And telling him what a lawyer posted on a internet forum is really just gonna piss him off.

At least when i filter, I know i can get in **** for it, others can make that decison for themselves knowing all the information.
    Last edited by OpenGambit; 05-08-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.